Thread: Replacing Tuners

Default Replacing Tuners

I have a busted tuner that I'm replacing with the same model tuner so no need to worry about everything lining up, but if I'm trying to avoid having to move the bridge can I just remove all strings from one side and replace the tuner? ...then restring and do the other side? Anything I should be aware of or cautious about? Should I detune the side I'm not doing or just leave it at pitch? Does removing a tuner usually mess up the finish? Thanks in advance for any advice!!

Default Re: Replacing Tuners

Either A: use this opportunity to precisely locate the bridge [even a cheapo Snark tuner will do], or B: if the bridge is just *perfect* mark the back corners with masking tape before your take the strings off.
    Shade Tree Fretted Instrument Repair, retired
    Nevada City, California

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Mirken View Post
    Either A: use this opportunity to precisely locate the bridge [even a cheapo Snark tuner will do], or B: if the bridge is just *perfect* mark the back corners with masking tape before your take the strings off.
    Will the bridge move if there are only 4 (base or treble side) strings removed at a time?

The 4 strings should hold it if you are careful. It may move however when you string up the four you have off, so marking is a good idea.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Rather than use one piece of tape to denote the back side of the bridge, cut a 4" section out of the roll of masking tape 4 or 5 layers deep. that way you have a nice edge to put the bridge back against if the bridge moves or if you take off the bridge for fretboard maintenance and the tack area is the same as using only one layer.
    Rob

Just to close the loop on this... I decided against using masking tape since I'd done that once before and I feel like it left some adhesive residue. FWIW, that was Frogtape. I carefully removed all 4 strings on one side at a time and the bridge did not move at all. Old tuners came off without impacting the varnish finish and new ones went on smoothly. Not a hard job all in all if you are patient and careful. Worst part was getting stabbed by the E string a few times.

When I recently replaced the tuners on an old Flatiron mandola, given that the strings had been changed just the day before, I marked the bridge edges and one long side with masking tape, and put a capo on at the third fret to hold the strings on. I did one side and then the other, tuned up the outside strings on the outside courses to be sure it was still perfectly intonated (work done when acquired, and always worthwhile when using the whole neck), and then finished tuning, one string of each course first then the second remaining strings of each course to distribute the tension as it went along. Three tunings later over fifteen minutes, it was back to its previous self... but with better tuners, of course.

I hadn't expected the tuners to arrive in the mail so soon, but the capo has always made tuner and nut work simpler by avoiding complete string removal.