Thread: ALVAREZ MANDOLIN F Style A900 early 1970's on Ebay

Default ALVAREZ MANDOLIN F Style A900 early 1970's on Ebay

Just looked tonight on Ebay and saw this add starting at $1000 US or make an offer........

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Gorgeous-ALV...QAAOSwEvZf-Njk

Haven't seen one of these for a little while now; is this a good price or what? Issue is I am in OZ so freight and GST plus import pump up the $$'s for me. But these are rare in OZ and I haven't seen a A900 here at all in the flesh.

Allan
    Allan Midgley

Default Re: ALVAREZ MANDOLIN F Style A900 early 1970's on Ebay

It has a lot nicer looking wood than a lot I've seen. Without being able to play it, I'd personally would be reluctant to chance it. I have bought Kentucky KM1000's without trying them and have not been disappointed
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

That’s the slightly more elaborate model than my “700” (obviously) it didn’t exist when I bought mine, in ‘75.
    If it’s within your means, go ahead, I bought mine sight unseen and have never regretted it one minute! I had two very talented people do the initial set up one of which was Bill Halsey, I will never forget getting a phone call while I was helping a friend tar a roof letting me know that it had arrived, I went back to my house changed shoes and pants and virtually flew into the store! Talk about doing a pee pee dance! That was a great day in my musical life!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by jim simpson View Post
    It has a lot nicer looking wood than a lot I've seen. Without being able to play it, I'd personally would be reluctant to chance it. I have bought Kentucky KM1000's without trying them and have not been disappointed
    The issue is that is may need work, or it may not but if the neck is not right or there is major repair somewhere it is hard for me to get to a decent luthier, as none are close to me. A Kentucky KM1000 , I think is a better mandolin in wood used and finish, even if the Alvarez is fancier.
    Allan Midgley

Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    That’s the slightly more elaborate model than my “700” (obviously) it didn’t exist when I bought mine, in ‘75.
    If it’s within your means, go ahead, I bought mine sight unseen and have never regretted it one minute! I had two very talented people do the initial set up one of which was Bill Halsey, I will never forget getting a phone call while I was helping a friend tar a roof letting me know that it had arrived, I went back to my house changed shoes and pants and virtually flew into the store! Talk about doing a pee pee dance! That was a great day in my musical life!
    A good mandolin setup the right way by someone who knows what they are doing can raise the bar on that mandolin. They can make it sing and you can feel it in your chest. years ago, I just loved the look of the fancy fretboards on these mandolins even though they are not the Gibson bluegrass machines. Even the headstoke look different. Some of them were made in Japan ( which I thick this might have been). not sure. I think I will do a quick research and find out, before it goes off.

Allan
    Allan Midgley

Quote Originally Posted by tassiespirit View Post
    The issue is that is may need work, or it may not but if the neck is not right or there is major repair somewhere it is hard for me to get to a decent luthier, as none are close to me. A Kentucky KM1000 , I think is a better mandolin in wood used and finish, even if the Alvarez is fancier.
    Allan, you are wise to be cautious. They remind me of the Gibson F's from that period as the neck join doesn't have the riser feature and the fingerboards have fancy inlay. I wonder what neck joints were used on these?
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Quote Originally Posted by jim simpson View Post
    Allan, you are wise to be cautious. They remind me of the Gibson F's from that period as the neck join doesn't have the riser feature and the fingerboards have fancy inlay. I wonder what neck joints were used on these?
    I agree, if you have no access to someone with the skills minor problems become much more major. I had skill in a whole hatful of well talented shop guys.
    Mine does have the riser Jim and it was a better piece of manufacturing than what was coming out of Parsons street at that particular point in time. Small set up tweaks and swapping the bridge out from the stock rosewood to ebony and a new nut we’re all the projects it needed. Neck angle was great, after al this time it’s still stable as the day I got it so, I am still happy with it.
    Again, just my opinion.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

8. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

I bought one off the music store wall in 1977 not knowing much at all about them, was just lusting for an F model.799.00 brand new and a monthly payment of 32.00. Beat on it for over 20 years on the road, and it turned into an absolute killer mandolin. Saw another just like it on feebay a couple years ago for 700.00, bought it and it was the worst sounding mandolin i've ever played. Sold it for what I had in it. I guess YMMV. I still have my old one though.
    Hughes F-5 #1
    Hughes A model #1
    1922 Gibson A-2
    1958 Gibson A-5

10. The following members say thank you to Vernon Hughes for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Vernon Hughes View Post
    I bought one off the music store wall in 1977 not knowing much at all about them, was just lusting for an F model.799.00 brand new and a monthly payment of 32.00. Beat on it for over 20 years on the road, and it turned into an absolute killer mandolin. Saw another just like it on feebay a couple years ago for 700.00, bought it and it was the worst sounding mandolin i've ever played. Sold it for what I had in it. I guess YMMV. I still have my old one though.
    Vernon, Yes, I think sight unseen is very risky business indeed!
    But my heart says otherwise ................ 18 hours to go, but no I am letting it go and going for something a little different.

On here in the classiffies is an 915 Eastman that I had my eyes on and I have descided to pull the trigger on and get. It is in way better condition and the quality is there.

Thanks guys for your words of wisdom...

Allan
    Allan Midgley