Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creating a solo video with my own backing track

Registered User Sherry Cadenhead's Avatar

Default Creating a solo video with my own backing track

What is a simple way to make a video of a solo performance with my own accompaniment, considering I'm technologically challenged? I've been checking out apps (Android) that would allow me to post separate videos of solo and accompaniment; however, I'm not having luck there. So, I'm thinking I need to record the video on my cell phone, with the audio accompaniment on my PC (Windows 10). I've never recorded on my PC, so if I'm right, what's the simplest way to do it?

Other suggestions?

2. The following members say thank you to Sherry Cadenhead for this post:

Cobalt 

Resident Hack

Default Re: Creating a solo video with my own backing track

Maybe simplify? Record your backup audio on the platform of your choice and then play the backup audio on pc or stereo while recording a single video of yourself playing along from your phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Stein View Post
    Maybe simplify? Record your backup audio on the platform of your choice and then play the backup audio on pc or stereo while recording a single video of yourself playing along from your phone.
    Mitch, I wasn't clear with my question, but that's what I was thinking also. So, what's the best way to record to the PC?

If you are recording video then of course you need a Webcam. Usually they come with software for recording. For audio, Audacity is a free program that supports multiple tracks and many editting features. You mat want to consider a USB MICROPHONE

6. The following members say thank you to DaveGinNJ for this post:

Sherry, for what it's worth, here is a simple technique I use. You will see the results on many of my postings over in the SAW group or on my YT channel (link in signature).
    I record the music track on laptop into a program called REAPER, but Audacity is a free and very useful alternative. I use condenser mics into an audio interface (Mine is a Behringer U-phoria UMC204HD) but you can use a USB mic and then not require the interface.
    Record the melody track then open a 2nd track in REAPER or Audacity and while playing the melody back you record your backing track on to this second track, using headphones so that you do not get the melody recorded on the backing track as well. Other tracks can be added to your project as you think you need. I mix this down then render it to mp3 format (much smaller file size for uploading, etc).
    I then play the track back through speakers (you can use headphones but they will be seen in your video) and film myself playing along to this track using my small Sanyo camcorder. This records both video and sound. The last stage is to load the recorded video and the separate audio master track into a video editing program (of which there are loads on the market including free ones) and line up the tracks to get them synchronised. I use the start of my audio and line the camcorder's audio up with this. You can expand the scale of the tracks on your editor and then line up the audio by sight but also by listening to both tracks played together - you will hear if they do not synchronise! Finally, delete the camcorder's audio track.
    With your phone rather than a camcorder you will probably need to load your phone's video files into an editing program and work as I have suggested , reading "phone" for "camcorder".
    Hope this is of help to you. You can get me by PM if you want further info.
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to John Kelly For This Useful Post:

Resident Hack

Quote Originally Posted by Sherry Cadenhead View Post
    Mitch, I wasn't clear with my question, but that's what I was thinking also. So, what's the best way to record to the PC?
    I've been really happy with the combination of this microphone
    https://www.amazon.com/TONOR-Microph.../dp/B07JMYG6LF
    and Audacity software. I've done just what you're talking about.
    What I play
    2021 Skip Kelley Two-Point
    Eastwood 'Ricky'
    Morgan Monroe RT-1E
    Epiphone Genesis guitars
    Various Basses

Honestly, my head is swimming. Why can't I simply record my backtrack using Audacity and my webcam, then while playing it back, record the video on my cell?

11. The following members say thank you to Sherry Cadenhead for this post:

Resident Hack

Honestly, my head is swimming. Why can't I simply record my backtrack using Audacity and my webcam, then while playing it back, record the video on my cell?
    You absolutely can! The microphone on your webcam is not going to be your best option for audio, though.
    YMMV
    What I play
    2021 Skip Kelley Two-Point
    Eastwood 'Ricky'
    Morgan Monroe RT-1E
    Epiphone Genesis guitars
    Various Basses

13. The following members say thank you to Mitch Stein for this post:

I have a Shure SM57 microphone, which doesn't appear to have a USB plug. Might there be an adapter that would make it work?

You need an interface to convert the analog signal from the mic to digital, as required by the computer. There are many available - Sweetwater, for example, lists a couple hundred! Sweetwater's listing (has some general info at the bottom of p. 1):

https://www.sweetwater.com/c695--USB_Audio_Interfaces

D.H.

16. The following members say thank you to Dave Hicks for this post:

The simpliest way I've found is; I use a Win10 laptop and record myself playing guitar. I use OBS studio but there's loads of simplier app out there. I then play back the backing video on the laptop (using what ever video player software came with the laptop) while I re-record a video using the same OBS studio software. When I'm not to worried about sound quality I simply let the backing sound come out of the laptop itself.

For a camera and Mic I use the Zoom Q2n 4k. Love the sound from the mic, but if you only have a cheap webcam I could see you having sound issues.

If you want to combine video of both thats a cup of tea.

18. The following members say thank you to Paul Brett for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Brett View Post
    If you want to combine video of both thats a cup of tea.
    Videos of both is my first choice, but can't figure out a way to do it with my Android. Acapella doesn't work well on an Android, I'm told.

20. The following members say thank you to Sherry Cadenhead for this post:

Videos of both is my first choice, but can't figure out a way to do it with my Android. Acapella doesn't work well on an Android, I'm told.
    No Accapella doesn't work on android, I'm told it does on certain android models but I've never found one. I have an old iPhone 5 that I use for accapella with a trad group. You need to get an interface and webcam or like I did a good camera with a good mic built in, Zoom Q2n 4K, record the backing, pay back the backing on another device while recording the melody and use sofwtare to combine. For this I use Open Shot Video Editor, I found some youtube tutorials on how to combine and sync the video. I've never found a simply way of doing this. Accapella is the easiest method but not sure it's worth the hassle of having another phone (I rather Android in my phone) and the €10 per month subscription.

22. The following members say thank you to Paul Brett for this post:

I gave up trying to do it on Android and bought myself an iPad recently.
    Now I just need time.

My accordionist friend has made some collaborative video but he has a home studio with all the gear and no other job apart from house-husband.
    Bren

24. The following members say thank you to Bren for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Brett View Post
    For a camera and Mic I use the Zoom Q2n 4k. Love the sound from the mic, but if you only have a cheap webcam I could see you having sound issues.
    It just occurred to me I have a Zoom H2n recorder. Would that be a better choice than Audacity for my accompaniment recording?

The zoom will give you very good quality, Sherry, as will Audacity! With Audacity it depends on the microphone you use to record through. I often use a Tascam DR-05 (similar to the Zoom family) and get excellent results from it.

If you still want to film your accompaniment as well as your melody playing, you will have to sync the Zoom's track with your video (I believe the Zoom model you have is audio only). Have them both running and use a handclap or other clear, sharp sound or even just an audible count-in that you can delete from the tracks later to give you a clear reference point to let you line up the tracks (similar to the clapper board used in filming).
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

There are some simple android apps for field recordings (J4T Multitrack is pretty good) that let you overdub, good for sketching ideas, even if that is how to play a simple tune. might be worth a shot to get the hang of "overdubbing" before investing heavily.

you could of course record the back up on a phone - move that mp3 file to a pc and play it on a speaker while the phone records you playing the melody over the backup, certainly tricky to do.
    I usually record to audacity ( or protools but audacity is more than enough) using a usb to pc interface ( Focusrite is very good, I have used Behringer as well )
    then you can use some kind of video software ( Movavi is OK I am now using Corel video editor which is still limited but decent, I think Adobe is on the professional level but priced accordingly) to dub in the sound
    you should record the video of the actual recording , its easier to synch the sound to the movement.

with audacity you just select new track - I think what is confusing for most newbies is you have to make sure the input for the new track is one the usb recognizes, so generally you have to set it to input 1-2 - where as it automatically increments this to 3-4, 5-6 and so on.
    its important to use headphones when overdubbing using mics -as the sound of the backing track bleeds into the melody track and you get distortion.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

Quote Originally Posted by tmsweeney View Post
    There are some simple android apps for field recordings (J4T Multitrack is pretty good) that let you overdub, good for sketching ideas, even if that is how to play a simple tune. might be worth a shot to get the hang of "overdubbing" before investing heavily.

you could of course record the back up on a phone - move that mp3 file to a pc and play it on a speaker while the phone records you playing the melody over the backup, certainly tricky to do.
    I'm considering all suggested options and am starting with this one. TM, after checking out J4T Multitrack, I decided to try Voice Recorder & Audio Editor. It's really cool, as you actually "push" buttons like you would on a tape recorder. I've managed to record my backing track, named and saved it.

So, how do I move the recording to my PC? There is a share option, and probably what I actually need if you can tell me what I'm looking for.

Short of emailing the mp3 to yourself:

Plug your phone into any open USB port on the computer, then turn on your phone's screen and unlock the device. Swipe your finger down from the top of the screen, and you should see a notification about the current USB connection. At this point, it'll probably tell you your phone is connected only for charging. Tap the notification and select "Transfer files" or "File transfer" in the menu that appears.

On your PC, open the Start menu and click This PC or Computer, then look for an icon representing your phone alongside other portable devices and drives. Click or double-click that icon, and you'll see your phone's internal storage. Find your recording, drag and drop.
    mando scales
    technical exercises for rock blues & fusion mandolinists
    mp4 backing tracks & free downloadable pdfs

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bevan View Post
    Short of emailing the mp3 to yourself:

Plug your phone into any open USB port on the computer, then turn on your phone's screen and unlock the device. Swipe your finger down from the top of the screen, and you should see a notification about the current USB connection. At this point, it'll probably tell you your phone is connected only for charging. Tap the notification and select "Transfer files" or "File transfer" in the menu that appears.

On your PC, open the Start menu and click This PC or Computer, then look for an icon representing your phone alongside other portable devices and drives. Click or double-click that icon, and you'll see your phone's internal storage. Find your recording, drag and drop.
    Thanks, Jim! I considered the email option, but somehow that didn't seem to be the most tech savvy way to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bevan View Post
    Find your recording, drag and drop.
    I've gotten this far. At the risk of embarrassing myself, how do I drag and drop? I've tried both right and left clicking on my mouse and dragging.

Do I then drag my recording to the home screen?

Whatever made me think this video with accompaniment thing was a good idea? (No need to answer.)

Hold down the left button after your over the file. And drag.

Sherry, I'm glad you're figuring it all out so that when I get to that point, it'll be a no brainer

Quote Originally Posted by Frankdolin View Post
    Hold down the left button after your over the file. And drag.
    Nothing happens!

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rieter View Post
    Sherry, I'm glad you're figuring it all out so that when I get to that point, it'll be a no brainer
    What gave you the idea I've figured it out, Sue! I can't even practice because of my string issues! Time for wine.