Thread: Mandolin Donation to Veterans

Default Mandolin Donation to Veterans

I just wanted to pass along a "good news" story. A month ago I was looking for some instruments to donate to a local veterans organization in the hope of getting some of them started playing. A fellow MC subscriber organized a funds drive and sent me 4, brand new, Rogue RM-100 mandolins, along with extra strings and tuners. I won't mention his name as he wants to remain anonymous. I did a basic setup on the mandos, and delivered them to the veterans center last week. They are going to co-ordinate the distribution. I have volunteered to provide some basic beginner lessons. The picture shows the two veterans center directors on the left. I'm the guy wearing the mask.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210114_150913.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	428.0 KB 
ID:	191355
    Richard

Eastman 305
    Gibson A1 (1919)
    Martin D16 guitar
    Great Divide Guitar (Two-Old-Hippies)
    OME 11" banjo (1973)
    Pisgah 12" banjo

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Pappyrich For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Mandolin Donation to Veterans

That's a very nice gesture from you and the fellow MC subscriber. Thanks for sharing this feel good story.

Good job on that.

I started providing music jams and instruction to veterans and homeless groups a couple of years ago (now taking a break due to covid). I've taught some violin, but 90% of folks want guitars. I occasionally pick up $50 yamahas when they pop up on craigslist.

I solicit donations from our local folk society chapter for strings, songbooks and such...also instruments.

Not to distract from this thread, which is a very worthwhile gesture. Good job Pappyrich. Hopefully more of this can happen.

A couple friends and myself are donating instruments to the library. We plan to have an instrument tasting so folks can play an instrument of their choice with someone who plays that instrument helping. They can then see if they would like to buy an instrument and learn to play. So far we have a couple guitars, mandolins, violins, including a child's violin. We still want to get a banjo too. I have been donating my time to repair and set up all the instruments, and have donated a couple. We are hoping this summer we can have an event outside and plan to do it once a month. We are also think of checking the instruments out from the library for folks to practice.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by Pappyrich View Post
    I just wanted to pass along a "good news" story. A month ago I was looking for some instruments to donate to a local veterans organization in the hope of getting some of them started playing. A fellow MC subscriber organized a funds drive and sent me 4, brand new, Rogue RM-100 mandolins, along with extra strings and tuners. I won't mention his name as he wants to remain anonymous. I did a basic setup on the mandos, and delivered them to the veterans center last week. They are going to co-ordinate the distribution. I have volunteered to provide some basic beginner lessons. The picture shows the two veterans center directors on the left. I'm the guy wearing the mask.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210114_150913.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	428.0 KB 
ID:	191355
    Good for you and your friend !!