Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Definition of a good mandolin player’s spouse

Smile Re: Definition of a good mandolin player’s spouse

Exactly like my wife who has seen me buy countless mandolins and always as excited as I am. She always says she loves me to be happy. She knows all about old Gibson mandolins, Northfield, Ellis, Flatiron, Summit, Holoubek, Martin and Gibson acoustic guitars etc. Then she is always happen to discuss the finer points of bone nuts, ebony/rosewod bridges, string guages, Handel tuners, action, tone. The list goes on.

And by the way, she loves football and golf on TV. What more can you ask for. I am very lucky but as they say, you make your own luck in life.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jimmy powells For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Definition of a good mandolin player’s spouse

I was married almost 42 years to a wonderful woman who supported any musical impulse that I had, as long as it didn't break up the household finances. That included listening to countless gigs with a CNSY cover band in the early 70's, that morphed into a country-rock band (even bought an antique pedal steel), GAS and later MAS. She was a willing participant in the audience of many gigs, jam sessions, festivals, and music camps. When I broached the topic of purchasing a particularly expensive mandolin, her reply was that the house was paid off, kids through college and I deserved it! She passed from recurrent breast cancer, leaving a huge void in my life.

Fortunately, I eventually met & married a woman who loves music, loves my kids, and loves me. She puts up with all my musical interests and enjoys much of the same music as I. She has her painting and I have my music to help us cope with these Covid days. I doubt we'll put together a run of 42 years, but if we do, I know she'll be there for me and I will be there for her.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to John Soper For This Useful Post:

My wife of 46 years has always been supportive of my music and instrument purchases. It used to be that whenever she got a new horse or furniture, I got a new instrument, but that has gone by the wayside. This last Christmas she gave me a beautiful engraved copper Darbuka drum, which I am busy customizing with a goatskin head.

For all of you who still have your spouses, please take the time to show how much you appreciate them, even if they sometimes look askance at your mandolin addiction. I lost my wife to breast cancer four years ago. When I met her, she had a mandolin, so I knew she had great potential. She supported my musical endeavors, mostly guitar at first, and even tolerated my off-key singing (she had a great voice). We met in the traditional manner - dancing in a local bar; three years later we hired the band to play for our wedding. For Xmas one year, I surprised her by playing “Star of the County Down” but with different lyrics - covering our meeting, living in different cities, and having kids. Called it “Raven Queen” as a nod to her beautiful black hair. After that, for a while at least, I could do no wrong. I heartily recommend a similar action on your part. We danced for 35 years, were married for 32. If you men have not been taking your wives out dancing (to live music, of course), you are not honoring your wedding vows. I have found that the kitchen also makes for an acceptable dance floor.

- Denis

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Denis Kearns For This Useful Post:

I'm fortunate to have a going-on 25 year relationship with another musician.

We didn't actually sync up musically until around 10 years into that relationship, because I was coming from the world of acoustic and electric guitar, and she had played Classical violin as a kid, then piano. At some fortunate point, we both fell down the rabbit hole of OldTime music and then Irish and Scottish trad, as I switched to mandolin and she picked up the fiddle again later in life.

We've been completely in sync musically now for around 10-15 years. Playing tunes together at home now, since we can't join with friends in local Irish/Scottish pub sessions.

The instrument acquisition is balanced, another benefit. She still has a very expensive Yamaha grand piano and a fiddle that's worth two or three of my best fretted instruments. So I don't get any grief about owning high-end instruments. But I'm still on a "one in, one out" basis for new instrument acquisitions since we're retired and basically on a fixed income now. Piano and fiddle players don't swap out instruments like we do. Once they find a good one, they tend to stick with it.

I roamed a bit, but my last 20 years with a spouse who recognizes my need to play and work music, and she's beautiful, but it's a blessing when spouse can handle obsession.

Most of my partners couldn't understand my propensity for what they called "Weedlee!-Weedlee!" music, but my dear mate does understand. She hates it*, but she understands, pretty much.

Yes I know, you prbly do too, I understand : l
    Last edited by catmandu2; Jan-23-2021 at 8:56pm.

Up on Cripple Creek

[Verse 1]
    When I get off of this mountain
    You know where I want to go?
    Straight down the Mississippi River
    To the Gulf of Mexico
    To Lake Charles, Louisiana
    Little Bessie, girl that I once knew
    She told me just to come on by
    If there's anything she could do

[Chorus]
    Up on Cripple Creek, she sends me
    If I spring a leak, she mends me
    I don't have to speak, she defends me
    A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

[Verse 2]
    Good luck had just stung me
    To the race track I did go
    She bet on one horse to win
    And I bet on another to show
    The odds were in my favor
    I had 'em five to one
    When that nag to win came around the track
    Sure enough, she had won

[Chorus]

[Verse 3]
    I took up all of my winnings
    And I gave my little Bessie half
    She tore it up and threw it in my face
    Just for a laugh
    Now there's one thing in the whole wide world
    I sure would like to see
    That's when that little love of mine
    Dips her doughnut in my tea
    He-he!

[Chorus]

[Verse 4]
    Now me and my mate were back at the shack
    We had Spike Jones on the box
    She said, "I can't take the way he sings
    But I love to hear him talk"
    Now that just gave my heart a throb
    To the bottom of my feet
    And I swore as I took another pull
    My Bessie can't be beat

[Chorus]

[Interlude]
    No-no, hu-hu
    Lodl-lodl-lodl-uh-hu
    No-no-hu
    Lodl-lodl-lodl-uh-hu

[Verse 5]
    Now there's a flood out in California
    And up north it's freezing cold
    And this living on the road is getting pretty old
    So I guess I'll call up my big mama
    Tell her I'll be rolling in
    But you know deep down, I'm kind of tempted
    To go and see my Bessie again

[Chorus]

[Outro]
    No-no, hu-hu
    Lodl-lodl-lodl-uh-hu
    No-no-hu
    Lodl-lodl-lodl-uh-hu
    No-no-hu
    Lodl-lodl-lodl-uh-hu
    No-no-hu
    Lodl-lodl-lodl-uh-hu
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandroid For This Useful Post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Reading through these testimonials and homages, I'm very impressed with and gladdened by the fortune many of you have had in this area. I'm also a bit perturbed with the difficulties some have expressed concerning their not-so-empathetic relationships. That's been a bit closer to my experience, although there have been moments ...

One recurring theme in my life has been the old boy-meets girl, boy-writes-song-for-girl-hoping-to-impress-her, boy-plays-song-for-girl, girl-falls-madly-for-boy, girl-falls-out-of-love-with-boy-since-boy-is-more-in-love-with-music-than-her routine. Something like that. This did lead to an engagement once, though not marriage. That hasn't kept me from hoping and trying, but one way or another, most of the time it seems the ladies don't consider this mandolinist worthy husband material. I'm very disappointed with whomever sold me on the notion, "Learn to play and instrument. Girls love guys who play music." Perhaps they meant electric guitar?

So when it comes to marriage, I'm pretty much in the same boat as Eric Idle's character:

But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to journeybear For This Useful Post:

Is 'The definition of a good mandolin player's spouse' not just 'the spouse of a good mandolin player' ? (sorry...'arrant pedantry, up with which I will not put' etc.)

Blog Entries

I believe the modifier "good" is modifying the final noun "spouse." That is more or less the convention. In this instance, I deduce this from the content of the OP, in which the intervening modifiers are not used in the crucial sentence, Also, given the skepticism with which many of us regard our instrumental expertise, this would be a short-lived thread indeed were your supposition to hold true.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

16. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

maxr 

44 years of marriage and going strong!

I was teaching guitar at a local music store when I met her, and now this past year, we sit in the living room listening to Folk Alley (Internet Radio) and I play along with the mandolin while she reads. My wife is an avid reader.

Sometimes I test the strength of the “Better or Worse till death do us part” agreement while searching for the key or playing entire passages using wrong notes.

I still get a compliment once I finally realize the darn song is in Gb etc.

My husband will sit there and listen to me play Mike Marshall's Finger Busters for 15 minutes straight, then walk around the house humming it

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sue Rieter For This Useful Post:

A good mandolin player's spouse accepts that the pastime will require a significant amount of money going out and in most cases, none coming in.

So many nice comments. We're a lucky crew: mandolins and great wives! Doesn't get any better. ... BTW, I just jumped on Grisman's ad to get a dozen Dawg picks for $18, floating near the top of the classifieds on the home page this afternoon. That ought to last me awhile. I've had a few lying about since -- honestly -- 2004 and didn't like them much. However, once I got used the them (and realized the advantage of a little rounder tone), I use them for everything, including guitar, just like Del. : )
    Ellis A5 Tradition, Red Diamond F5, Duff F5, D35, Gliga violin.
    http://www.michaelromkey.com
    http://www.bucktownrevue.com

I have been married ( this time) for 22 years and have played various instruments but have had a break from the mandolin for 10 years now( due to health issues). Just recently, I decided to get another mandolin (off the Cafe's classifies) and my loving wife was not impressed at all. She said " are you going to practice this time, since I haven't heard you play for years now!". I reply yes dear, it helps to practice when you actually have an instrument to play on!

So, it is coming next week, an Eastman 915, nice, can't wait.

Allan
    Allan Midgley

23. The following members say thank you to tassiespirit for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Reading through these testimonials and homages, I'm very impressed with and gladdened by the fortune many of you have had in this area. I'm also a bit perturbed with the difficulties some have expressed concerning their not-so-empathetic relationships. That's been a bit closer to my experience, although there have been moments ...

One recurring theme in my life has been the old boy-meets girl, boy-writes-song-for-girl-hoping-to-impress-her, boy-plays-song-for-girl, girl-falls-madly-for-boy, girl-falls-out-of-love-with-boy-since-boy-is-more-in-love-with-music-than-her routine. Something like that.
    You left out the bit where boy-meets-new-girl, hastily rewrites song with new girl's name in it ...
    Bren

25. The following members say thank you to Bren for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by John Flynn View Post
    A good mandolin player's spouse accepts that the pastime will require a significant amount of money going out and in most cases, none coming in.
    I've been lucky to earn enough from gigs each year to more than cover my modest expenditure.

It's not a big strain on our relationship, being away weekends etc, because I'm a kind of pool musician so just fill in when required, plug and play, for ten or twelve gigs a year.

My wife doesn't mind that but still isn't quite onboard with the "practice" element.

"He just plays the same thing over and over!", I've heard her telling friends.
    Bren

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bren View Post
    You left out the bit where boy-meets-new-girl, hastily rewrites song with new girl's name in it ...
    A fair guess. Believe it or not, that hasn't happened. There is a song, though, in which the eye color changes, as if by magic ...

You mean "My Green Eyed Girl"?
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

One who tells you to put that durn fiddle away and stick to the mandolin.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    You mean "My Green Eyed Girl"?
    Ummm ... no-o-o-o ... A couple songs I wrote in which this detail may vary from brown to blue depending on the ... audience.

To be sure, this doesn't come up too often anymore ...