Thread: Help finding Mando Store in Midwest with selection

Default Help finding Mando Store in Midwest with selection

Greetings all! After many moons of reading great comments and topics I finally made an account. My wife has played the guitar and sang for many years and last year wanted to try the mandolin. She took off and blossomed and wrote several songs and while playing my daughter and wife will alternate playing it on a few songs. So it’s time to move up past the beginner Mando she has, which is a solid top Epiphone MM-30s A. We live in Iowa between Des Moines and Omaha. It has been a struggle to find a store with more than a couple, or that just have beginner level mandos.

We recently came back from a trip to Florida through Nashville, I tried so hard to get my wife to stop at The Mandolin Store, but after many hours on the road, and getting home late, she didn’t feel she would be in her right mind stopping there.

So what I am looking for is a store with a mild to amazing selection of A Style mandolins near us. We are driving down to Tyler TX in a couple weeks so I was contemplating a stop on the trip as west Iowa selection is seemingly poor. Eastern or central Oklahoma, eastern KS, western Missouri, and north and east Texas could possibly work.

I am looking for a place that will provide excellent setup and Mandolin in 500-$1000 range. The music store That provided the Current mando did not set it up and the random place I found in Oklahoma on one trip did not do a great job, now I understand with a $200 mando there is only so much you can do.

From a family music group that has faced many challenges and growing opportunities, we appreciate any feedback you can give. I have learned proper setup is vital. I look forward your response and our whole family thanks you. Search Quiver Life Sounds or Sady DeLapp on YouTube if you have any desire to see some of our homegrown non professional music videos.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Default Re: Help finding Mando Store in Midwest with selection

Quote Originally Posted by QuiverLifeSounds View Post
    So what I am looking for is a store with a mild to amazing selection of A Style mandolins near us. We are driving down to Tyler TX in a couple weeks so I was contemplating a stop on the trip as west Iowa selection is seemingly poor. Eastern or central Oklahoma, eastern KS, western Missouri, and north and east Texas could possibly work. I am looking for a place that will provide excellent setup and Mandolin in 500-$1000 range.
    Would Morgan Music in Lebanon, Missouri qualify? They are a site sponsor and have a Northfield Calhoun in stock (and in budget):

https://www.morganmusic.com/p-641-no...-mandolin.aspx
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

You're about four hours from Kansas City, right? You might check with Bradford & Co. there and with Mass Street Music in Lawrence.

4. The following members say thank you to Eric F. for this post:

If the map in my head is correct, you guys might also be within a 4ish hour drive of Down Home Guitars in Frankfort, IL. They would absolutely have the type of A-style mandolins you're looking for. They will do a setup and repair work, all the good stuff! Call them any time and see what they have in stock. Steve (the owner) is super knowledgeable, helpful, and also plays mandolin and guitar!

Also, Frankfort is the home of Frankfort Bluegrass Festival, a FREE, non-profit, IBMA-awarded bluegrass festival in mid July every year. Steve is also the brains and brawn behind that event as well, but I digress!

A final thought: I'm not sure how much you would be looking to spend, but Steve Hinde of Hinde Mandolins is in your neighborhood there in IA, and his praises are sung here on the Cafe quite often, his mandolins are amazing!

It's the wrong direction, and probably around a 4-4.5 hour drive, but the Homestead Pickin' Parlor in Richfield (Minneapolis), Minnesota generally has an varied assortment of A and F models that range from good to the occasionally extremely nice. I bought my Flatiron and my Kentucky from them, also a banjo for my son. I don't know if they are still doing setups, you would have to call them. Their website is a bit behind, but they do have a couple of nice pictures on Facebook of the mandolins on the wall. They stock several different brands, plus the occasional trade-in or commission sale. The people who work their are very knowledgeable and friendly.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0CD8FD21-4916-461C-955A-AD2B4D47D82E.jpeg 
Views:	61 
Size:	145.2 KB 
ID:	191545.
    Rob Ross
    Apple Valley, Minne-SOH-tah

1996 Flatiron A5-Performer, 1915 Gibson F-2 (loaned to me by a friend), 2008 Kentucky Master KM-505 A-Model
    1925 Bacon Peerless tenor banjo (Irish tuning), 1985 Lloyd Laplant F-5, 2021 Ibanez PFT2 Tenor Guitar (GDAE)
    and of course, the 1970 Suzuki-Violin-Sha Bowl Back Taterbug