Thread: Mandocello Wikipedia

Default Mandocello Wikipedia

I see Wikipedia now has an official mandocello page,

Wikipedia Mandocello

so the rumors are true, they do exist!

However I think the list of 20th Century players of note could be expanded quite a bit:
    Norman and Nancy Blake, Peter Ostroushko, John Niemann ( Mando Boys), John Imholz ( MMQ), Joe Weed, Larry Sledge, Dave Richardson (Boys of the Lough - 10 string but still)
    Last edited by tmsweeney; Jan-20-2021 at 9:54am.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

2. The following members say thank you to tmsweeney for this post:

Default Re: Mandocello Wikipedia

Wonder who paid the money for that to happen?

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Perhaps a few notes of general information are in order.

Wikipedia is a free information sharing resource created, edited, and maintained mostly by volunteers.

It is easy to join and contribute.

Contributions are welcomed, but if information is not attributed or cannot be verified, it may be removed by editors.

So, tmsweeney, if you want to add your information, go ahead. But this page does not have a plain list of players. I suggest you follow the existing format, writing a sentence mentioning these players separately and detailing their instruments - after all, it's a page devoted to the instrument, not the players. That should keep your contributions from being reverted.

A quick glance at the edit history shows the page dates to 2005.

As is so often the case, a little investigation will reveal the answers to one's questions.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

5. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Thanks but it does mention players, notably Mike Marshall and Radm Zenkle,
    MMQ Ostroushko and the Blakes ( not mentioned) certainly had put out a lot of mandocello music ( arguably more than Marshall and Zenkle) by 2005.
    I think its a bit of a mockery to be honest
    Which is probably most of Wikipedia anyway.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

It's nice that the mandocello community is receiving some recognition. I am always surprised that most people have no idea what it is (or maybe as equally surprised more people dont play it). Whenever I'm in an irish session, I will always get the question,' What IS that?"

I have always felt m'cello is versatile and adept in many musical situations.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zookster For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tmsweeney View Post
    Thanks but it does mention players, notably Mike Marshall and Radm Zenkle,
    MMQ Ostroushko and the Blakes ( not mentioned) certainly had put out a lot of mandocello music ( arguably more than Marshall and Zenkle) by 2005.
    I think its a bit of a mockery to be honest
    Which is probably most of Wikipedia anyway.
    It mentions them as examples.

I don't get the mockery angle. Not at all. It's a reference source, not an editorial page.

My point is, you can contribute to it. You can be the change you want to see. Commenting on it doesn't accomplish anything.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

I especially appreciated:

"More recent music for solo mandocello was presented at the 2018 Classical Mandolin Society Convention in Santa Rosa. An article on this event and examples of the music appear in the CMSA Mandolin Journal."

That was my presentation, with music from Bickford, John Goodin, August Watters, and others. What, no pictures????

hmmph.

11. The following members say thank you to Jim Imhoff for this post:

Blog Entries

Congratulations! If you have pictures, and know how to upload them (having a bit of a problem myself with that on another article), go ahead. Or post a link. It's really pretty easy to add contributions to an article. Register, log in, learn a few basics, and off you go.

Seriously, there are so many people around here who know amazing amounts of information about all things mandolin, the sky's the limit on improving wikipedia in these areas. As the old saying goes, it is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness.

13. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Wikipedia is a free information sharing resource created, edited, and maintained mostly by volunteers.

Contributions are welcomed, but if information is not attributed or cannot be verified, it may be removed by editors.
    Yeah, that's what they say. But it's not true.
    Years I joined per their rules and edited and corrected many pages.
    Guess what? Months of contributions deleted in one day because some jackass took offense to one of my statements.
    (which was true, but violated his personal politically correct beliefs).
    No, it wasn't political in nature - it was a page about a salt racing history at Bonneville.
    Not long after the mass deletions, my membership was revoked - never to be lifted.

Don't quote crap at me when I know it's crap.

Blog Entries

I don't know what you did to deserve that. I've made hundreds of edits over a dozen years and had less than 20 of them reverted. Everyone's experience is different. It's deceptive to assume one person's experience can be generalized to hold true for everybody. That is, what happened to you is not necessarily what everybody else, or even anybody else, would experience. I've never heard of anything like what you've decribed happen to anybody else. Even if I had, it wouldn't stop me from continuing to contribute.

I tried to log in, edit, etc. and was blocked. It said I was blocked by somebody in Alabama with something <violates forum posting guidelines>

I am open for suggestions, because this reference to 2018 CMSA was in fact my presentation. I would like to include or link to Goodin, Watters, and others who actually write the music (which I merely presented). I would also like to add mention of follow-up mandocello work at subsequent events.
    I really don't care that much, not a wiki-fan, but this is the first time something personal to me appeared.
    Maybe journeybear or some one else on this thread can advise or even enter something for me. <violates forum posting guidelines>
    Last edited by Mandolin Cafe; Jan-22-2021 at 11:52am. Reason: this is REALLY not the time to be discussing things like this. violates forum posting guidelines.

Blog Entries

This discussion has moved beyond intended use of this forum with the addition of comments outside of our posting guidelines. Suggest those of you wishing to be Wiki contributors start a private social group or use the PM function if you wish to engage in some of the comments going on here.

Just an observation, that Wiki page could probably use a better link to mandocello examples than to a web site that was taken off-line 15 years ago, the owner long deceased, and the link pointing inside of The Wayback Machine.