Thread: Macrostie A, 1978, #24

Default Macrostie A, 1978, #24

Hi all, I'm writing to share my recently rediscovered Macrostie instrument, pre-Red Diamond, Rosewood back and side, European spruce top A from 1978. I just got off a lovely call with him after writing him with pictures to authenticate. It would have been made during his first decade of his work. I purchased it in Austin, TX at One World Music, above the Continental Club in the late 1990s. No one at the time knew anything about it or about the maker.

It has a clear tone and a straight and flat neck, but has a steel bar down the neck without a truss rod. The headstock has no label and done as a scalloped leaf design. It's pre-Red Diamond.

I brought it out of my closet after many years because my 7 year old daughter started to take an interest in bluegrass. I strung it up after many years and noticed the label and thought I'd look it up. I had not heard of Macrostie before but I'm a guitar player and amateur, so I wouldn't be looking for instruments of his value and quality in any case. I'm glad to have it and it sounds clear and loud with no buzzes or any issues. The tuners are maybe lower quality according to Don since they have no ferrules and are difficult to turn. He recommended that if I needed a set up I should take it to shop in Austin as there are plenty of options here. Thought you all might like to see this closet find. Best, Matt

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2593.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	411.0 KB 
ID:	191431Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2595.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	395.8 KB 
ID:	191432Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2602.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	234.9 KB 
ID:	191433

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to morem For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Macrostie A, 1978, #24

Nice Closet find.

4. The following members say thank you to Tom C for this post:

morem