Thread: Nugget Info 2021

Default Nugget Info 2021

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but is there a website (or other resource) with current info on Nuggets; like available models and specs? ...especially curious about FB radius and other build options, as well as what serial number he's up to these days.

Default Re: Nugget Info 2021

John D

My sense is that Mike Kemnitzer probably builds to any specs within the usual range, but that the real issue is that demand for his instruments far exceeds production. A terrific Fretboard Journal interview in 2017 discussed a pair of Loar bench copies he was building at the time, one of them with a serial number 300.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Mott View Post
    My sense is that Mike Kemnitzer probably builds to any specs within the usual range, but that the real issue is that demand for his instruments far exceeds production. A terrific Fretboard Journal interview in 2017 discussed a pair of Loar bench copies he was building at the time, one of them with a serial number 300.
    I played one of the Loar bench copies Mike built. Truly one of his best instruments, if it ever came up for sale I would buy it in a heartbeat. Serial Number #300 isn't a Loar bench copy though it is owned by a loving owner in Alaska!

As far as how many mandolins Mike has built.. Can't and won't put a speculative number out there but for comparison my Nugget is number #310 from 2017 so that might put you in the ballpark.
    Mandolinist for Henhouse Prowlers and Westbound Situation

https://www.youtube.com/c/JakeHoward

5. The following members say thank you to Jake Howard for this post:

Sorry I flubbed that serial number! The 2017 Fretboard Journal’s photo of one of the pair of Nugget Loar bench-copies shows #299 as the serial number, completed in 2015. Earlier the article reports that at that time Mike had aimed for around ten instruments a year, which if still current would appear to place things in the mid-300s.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Howard View Post
    As far as how many mandolins Mike has built.. Can't and won't put a speculative number out there but for comparison my Nugget is number #310 from 2017 so that might put you in the ballpark.
    #310 is the most recent I can find anywhere!

Earlier the article reports that at that time Mike had aimed for around ten instruments a year, which if still current would appear to place things in the mid-300s.
    Very interesting. So probably safe to say that he produces far fewer instruments than Gilchrist (~820) or Ellis (low 500s).

Quote Originally Posted by JFDilmando View Post
    I'm sure that he doesn't need to advertise, but it's wild that there isn't a better resource out there. I actually learned the most from here, but have no idea if it's all still accurate. https://www.mandolincafe.com/nugget/

Makes me wonder what the current wait time is. Gilchrest was about 18 months when I checked a few months ago.

Mike turned 70 last year (there was a thread here wishing him happy bday) and I am sure he has for a long time had plenty of commissions. I think he (or someone) posted on Facebook about just completing a 10 string for Tim O’brien. I suspect he can pick and choose what he wants to make these days
    I should be pickin' rather than postin'

12. The following members say thank you to dang for this post:

At our last pre-rona Mando-tasting, Mike said he has a no deposit list, and calls the next person on it when the next F5 is ready. As with most luthiers, old friends need no stinking list, as long as their request is within the range of normalcy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1030548.JPG 
Views:	233 
Size:	674.0 KB 
ID:	191478  

Now that's a mando tasting!

Kirk

I subscribed to FBJ way too late but this thread got me to order that issue.

I imagine I'm the only one who can claim I took Mike a $75 import Les Paul from a junk shop with a very wavy neck to have him work his magic on straightening it.

Jim wrote “I subscribed to FBJ way too late but this thread got me to order that issue.” It’s definitely worth getting—along with the most in-depth interview of Mike Kemnitzer I’ve seen anywhere, there’s also an article on Steve Gilchrist’s restoration of the prototype Loar. I keep it on the coffee table for easy reference!

Jim wrote “I subscribed to FBJ way too late but this thread got me to order that issue.” It’s definitely worth getting—along with the most in-depth interview of Mike Kemnitzer I’ve seen anywhere, there’s also an article on Steve Gilchrist’s restoration of the prototype Loar. I keep it on the coffee table for easy reference!
    which issue of FBJ is that article in, i have them all, so knowing the # will keep me from digging around, when time permits for you
    thx
    d

I have an article written by Ned Alderman about Mike(Mr. N.) from back in the day. Maybe Jim Hilburn remembers this one, classic reading and "long". I'll have to look for it but it was funny and enchanting. More to be revealed(hopefully).

20. The following members say thank you to Old Growth for this post:

Old Growth, I’d love to see the Ned Alderman article, as I’ve never come across it. Daryl, the Fretboard Journal number is 38. (It inexplicably didn’t but absolutely should have listed the interview on the cover.) Two other articles are “Mike Kemnitzer: cracking the Nugget” by James Kent, which appeared in Minnesota Bluegrass in October 2014, here: https://issuu.com/joannemakela/docs/...egrass_oct2014 and “Nugget” by Patty Lanoue Stearns which appeared in Traverse in March 2002, here: http://www.pattywrites.com/wp-conten...ndolin_web.pdf

22. The following members say thank you to Richard Mott for this post:

I didn't see Richard's post as I was writing mine - I was going to offer folks a PDF of the the Minnesota Bluegrass & Old-Time Music Association article if they want me to email it....need to pay more attention - it's a fun, well-written article
    Last edited by EvanElk; Jan-27-2021 at 1:16am.

Old Growth, I’d love to see the Ned Alderman article, as I’ve never come across it. Daryl, the Fretboard Journal number is 38. (It inexplicably didn’t but absolutely should have listed the interview on the cover.) Two other articles are “Mike Kemnitzer: cracking the Nugget” by James Kent, which appeared in Minnesota Bluegrass in October 2014, here: https://issuu.com/joannemakela/docs/...egrass_oct2014 and “Nugget” by Patty Lanoue Stearns which appeared in Traverse in March 2002, here: http://www.pattywrites.com/wp-conten...ndolin_web.pdf
    Thanks for the great articles! Lot's of nice info in there. Anyone ever see what compound radius Nuggets have?