Thread: Had to change my strings

Default Had to change my strings

I hate changing strings. I don't find it that difficult, I have been doing it for almost 10 years now. But I don't like very much the sometimes metallic sound of new strings. I only have bowl backs so I use extra light strings. I tend to keep the strings on for up to a year. My mandolin sound even gets some praising about how strong it sounds, when my strings are almost done.
    The pair I had to change was quite new, the wound on both D strings was torn out in several spots, I had that wonderful rattling sound that eventually was starting to keep me from playing.
    Had a stacked Martin M400 set, took me 25 minutes as usual. Needed wife help for one of the A's. All went well and what a wonderful sound I am getting.
    We really don't realize the strings are dead, til we change them.
    Normally I would use lighter strings, but I can't find any locally. The ones I find locally are Chinese Daddy, they're lighter but feel heavier under the pick and die very quickly.
    Had to share my experience. I haven't been active here for e while, but have been following and playing daily.
    “Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent.”
    ― Victor Hugo

Default Re: Had to change my strings

This is one reason I switched to Curt Mangan strings ! They do sound great but last a LONG time !

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Default Re: Had to change my strings

Quote Originally Posted by Hany Hayek View Post
    We really don't realize the strings are dead, til we change them.
    Yes!!! I get this!

I too like "broken in" sounding strings, especially on my flat top. I usually change the strings on it twice a year and every time my mind is blown to how much I couldn't hear how dead the old strings have become.