Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mandolin Cafe Milestones

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Mandolin Café Milestones

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    Here ya go JB, my wife and I had a wonderful visit. Next time I hope we can play some.
    Aha! I knew that pic was posted around here somewhere. (from 5-6 years ago. Yikes!) And yes, we did get some picking in, though not nearly enough. But then it's hard to do any real picking so early in the day - if noon is early - unless you've been playing around the campfire all night the night before and are a bit hungover. Anyway, here's this year's version:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Me and Charles E.3.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	1,016.1 KB 
ID:	198152

BTW, Charley built that mandolin. Nice work!
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Default Re: Mandolin Cafe Milestones

Thanks Journeybear, it was fun to have brunch at the No Name Pub on Big Pine Key (my old stomping grounds) and catch up. The visit was too short and I forgot to bring my Mandolin Cafe hat!
    JB's Gibson F-4 was one of the cleanest I have ever seen and I thought it sounded good but his modest Gibson model A was the better sounding of his three.

I hope it will not be another six years before we see each other again!
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

3. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Best advice I ever got on the subject: Read more, post less. It's done me a lot of good over the years. Yes, even as much as I post.

And I'm not telling you that, to be clear. Just sharing for all to contemplate. Listen to the sound of silence.
    IMHO you're right about that, JB First of all, there's the addictive nature of social media. It's a self reinforcing feedback loop as I have come to know first hand. Second of all, there's keeping in mind that there's actual people on the other side whom, (with some exceptions (eg. see above )), we usually don't really know. Here at the Cafe, we've got plenty of emoticons at our disposal, but even so - I understand there are generational differences in how some of these can be interpreted.

That said, I think this place (along with the associated instruments I've acquired) has made a significant contribution in keeping my feet on the ground this past year or so, and for that, I'm grateful. (I've also had some pretty good chuckles, and I'm grateful for those as well.)
    Last edited by Sue Rieter; Dec-15-2021 at 6:02pm.

5. The following members say thank you to Sue Rieter for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    JB's Gibson F-4 was one of the cleanest I have ever seen and I thought it sounded good but his modest Gibson model A was the better sounding of his three.
    Thank. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense that an entry-level no-frills model should sound better than a top-of-the-line F-stye oval hole model from the start of the Lloyd Loar era, but hearing is believing. My best guess is the booming low end of the plain A was not desirable back then, even though that's the sound I prefer. I'll be bringing the F-4 in for a tune-up in the spring, maybe the A-4 too, and will see whether that does the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rieter View Post
    IMHO you're right about that, JB First of all, there's the addictive nature of social media. It's a self reinforcing feedback loop as I have come to know first hand. Second of all, there's keeping in mind that there's actual people on the other side whom, (with some exceptions (see above )), we usually don't really know. Here at the Cafe, we've got plenty of emoticons at our disposal, but even so - I understand there are generational differences in how some of these can be interpreted.
    True enough. There's also the sense of community that has built up around here over the years, as members have gotten to know each other as a side-effect of discussing mandolin matters. I've noticed that can lead to trouble in other fora, such as facebook, where people develop this camaraderie with the people they spend time with discussing on-topic subjects, and then want to discuss something off-topic with these friends/acquaintances/chat-chums. It can lead to the very things one may want to avoid by going to a particular discussion group being brought up for discussion. Thankfully that doesn't happen here too much. People are nearly always good about minding their manners and maintaining a modicum of maturity. We are mandolinists, after all.

That said, I think it's a good idea to have a few threads where going off-topic is sort of on-topic, where people can chat about this and that and it's all right. Because people do develop camaraderie, and it's nice to be able to banter with your friends/acquaintances/chat-chums now and then. That's part of the reason I started this thread, as well as the numerological aspect, which I knew was going to be a jumping-off point. And though I'm not sure I entirely understand your point about emojis, I sure do enjoy using them. I've mentioned here and there that we could use a new one, the eye-roll, because lord knows it comes in handy. I make do with the whistling, but it's not quite the same.
    Last edited by journeybear; Dec-15-2021 at 5:31pm. Reason: speeling, alwaze speeling

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

7. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    That said, I think it's a good idea to have a few threads where going off-topic is sort of on-topic, where people can chat about this and that and it's all right. Because people do develop camaraderie, and it's nice to be able to banter with your friends/acquaintances/chat-chums now and then. That's part of the reason I started this thread, as well as the numerological aspect, which I knew was going to be a jumping-off point. And though I'm not sure I entirely understand your point about emojis, I sure do enjoy using them. I've mentioned here and there that we could use a new one, the eye-roll, because lord knows it comes in handy. I make do with the whistling, but it's not quite the same.
    Yup, sometimes it's fun to just sit back chuckling and think,"Okay, here we go ..."

On the emojis (see, I'm showing my age using the old-fashioned term "emoticon" heh, heh) for example: https://www.wsj.com/articles/sending...ng-11628522840

WSJ: Sending Smiley Emojis? They Now Mean Different Things to Different People - Gen Z has adopted new meanings, while older people stick with tradition. The result is a lot of confusing interactions.
    Hope you can access the article, if you're interested.

Headed for 500. Not in a hurry.

D.H.

I would love to rewind my odometer to those innocent days but, alas, I believe it is against the law around these parts. :-)
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Blog Entries

Nope, especially not for the top perp. I wonder if Mike E, who's in distant second place, will ring in. He's on the brink of 25k.

I am looking fwd for my 30k mark. Don’t know how I became so verbose though as my dad used to say maybe I was vaccinated by a phonograph needle.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

13. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Blog Entries

Well, so it's come to this: 14,000 posts. I know they haven't all been gems, but I hope a goodly amount have been entertaining, perhaps even enlightening and inspiring. It's funny to think how much verbal output I've produced here, when in actuality I am a pretty quiet, shy guy. I guess there's just something about the combination of this format, the subject matter, and the constituency here - all you dedicated people - that has enabled and even encouraged this. I'm grateful to have had the means, motive, and opportunity to express so many thoughts about the mandolin, music, and life in general, and to have met so many people doing more or less the same. There are three places online I check upon waking every morning to see what's going on the world, in this little life of mine, and this is one of them - it's often the first place I'll go. The rest of the world can wait until I've seen what's going on here, in Mandolin Midgard. I'm pretty sure I've got my priorities right.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to journeybear For This Useful Post:

Congratulations, JB. I always find your posts worth reading.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

17. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Blog Entries

Thank you, sir. You are too kind, too generous. And/or have, ah, interesting tastes. Heck, even I can't say I'm 100% about all my posts. But I do try to maintain some arbitrary level of quality and - hopefully - usefulness. So, again, thank you. It means a lot for that to be said by someone as prolific and profound as you.

Milestones indeed JB. 14K posts in 15 years sure has me beat. I go back to 1995 at the start, but somewhere along 2002 something happened and MC lost my past and I had to start over. It says I've had about 6500 post since 2002 but it's more like 14K since 1995 as I was very active in that first decade. I can think of maybe 2 times I was asked to take something down for breaking the rules. I only check out the Classifieds, General Discussion, Looking for Information and Vintage Instruments. That's all that interest me. I use to check it out everyday but now it's more like once a week. I'm good at dating those old Gibson mandolins when you give that FON or serial no. I usually comment on the old Loar/Fern posts because I'm really interested in those pre war and post war F5 models. I usually always wear some color of the cafe hat when I'm out because they are really good ball caps. Wore the cafe masks too. I often get asked how is the food at the mandolincafe. I support getting the up and coming kids turned on to the cafe and pass out the cafe stickers for their little cases. Highlights? Oh that would be that day in 2006 in Bakersfield, CA when I got to meet Mr. Cafe himself. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tom with Scott Tichenor in 2006.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	200469

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to f5loar For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Good to hear from you, sir. I appreciate your input in general, and here and now in specific. I get asked where the Mandolin Café is a lot, too. Funny thing, there is one in Miami. Sort of. It's actually called Mandolin Aegean Bistro, and it's pretty pricy - more than your typical mandolin picker can afford. Even so, I almost went there once. Last summer, when I was laid up in the hospital up there getting this picker's ticker fixed, I noticed it was not far away. I planned to go there for lunch to celebrate my release. but one thing and another, like mostly my ride fell through, I had to blow it off. Too bad. I wanted to see if they could tell me how they named it that, and try to swap some music for a meal. You never know ... There's a place by the actual name in Tacoma WA, and a thread or two about places like that. Maybe someday ...

Blog Entries

Well, here's one for you. With this post, I draw abreast of Jamie in terms of our standings in total posts - tied at 14,082. I've been at #10 for a long time, and it appears I will soon swap with him and be at #9. Not that this is any great accomplishment, mind you, as I'm sure plenty of these posts haven't the gravitas or usefulness of Jim Garber's (he's #1) or helpfulness of Mike Edgerton's (he's #2) posts. But I do try to compose posts with meaning, kindness, and sincerity, a well-intended sense of humor and entertainment value, as much knowledge and experience I can imbue them with, and always good grammar and spelling. I'm not planning to make much of the next similar milestone, as Saska (Ivan Kelsall) is sadly unable to defend his #8 position. Carry on!

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to journeybear For This Useful Post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

In order to fully appreciate the import of these journeybear milestones, one must consider the verbosity of his posts; the count could easily be doubled lol
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

25. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

Even more if you count the intricacy of his verbiage.
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

27. The following members say thank you to Sue Rieter for this post:

Blog Entries

Oh, youse guys! Much too kind. In all humility, the verbosity is a side effect of a desire to be thorough, to fully examine a subject of discussion in order to find the truth of the matter. The intricacy, if there truly is any, would also arise from a related impetus, an effort to fully express whatever thought I may have on what is being discussed. All this would be impossible if it weren't for this sort of communication, in which one can collect one's thoughts, mull them over, edit them if necessary, and even research the elements of the expression and the subject itself. All this is time-consuming, and won't work in vocal communication; no one has the patience required to chat in person with someone who prefers to formulate sentences this way. This is all in service of using an economy of words - believe it or not - which often conflicts with the aforementioned thoroughness. But if I'm interested in examining a subject, I do want to understand it well and express my thought on the matter in a way that can be understood and hopefully others reading will understand, and perhaps even understand the subject better. Yes, this does entail a bit of time, thought, and effort, but I like to think it's worth it. And I say this with all due humility.

PS: Remember, the purpose of this thread is to provide a place to post anyone's milestones. Mine appear here as often as they do because I'll bet most members don't know this is here, and quite possibly don't care, if they do. I keep hoping it will catch on more than it has. Time will tell ...

29. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

And in the words of (the Coasters') Charlie Brown, "Why's everybody always picking on me?"
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

Blog Entries

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by f5loar View Post
    Milestones indeed JB. 14K posts in 15 years sure has me beat. I go back to 1995 at the start, but somewhere along 2002 something happened and MC lost my past and I had to start over. It says I've had about 6500 post since 2002 but it's more like 14K since 1995 as I was very active in that first decade. I can think of maybe 2 times I was asked to take something down for breaking the rules. I only check out the Classifieds, General Discussion, Looking for Information and Vintage Instruments. That's all that interest me. I use to check it out everyday but now it's more like once a week. I'm good at dating those old Gibson mandolins when you give that FON or serial no. I usually comment on the old Loar/Fern posts because I'm really interested in those pre war and post war F5 models. I usually always wear some color of the cafe hat when I'm out because they are really good ball caps. Wore the cafe masks too. I often get asked how is the food at the mandolincafe. I support getting the up and coming kids turned on to the cafe and pass out the cafe stickers for their little cases. Highlights? Oh that would be that day in 2006 in Bakersfield, CA when I got to meet Mr. Cafe himself. Click image for larger version. 

You still have that jacket, Hoss?

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Blog Entries

I just noticed the Post A Video Of Yourself thread has hit the 750,000 view mark - 3/4 of a million views. That's some kind of milestone!

Quote Originally Posted by f5loar View Post

Tom, I'm so jealous of your suit! I think we (those existing members) got reset back in 2002, can't remember the technical reason, something to do with software. It's good to see the old-timers still hanging out. It's also good to see the newcomers as we eventually have father time to take care of things. Best to all!
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Brand new milestone, post # 5678.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

36. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

Blog Entries

Sounds like you're about to launch into a dance routine.

This thread is about to pass a milestone of its own - 10,000 views. Who knew?

38. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post: