Thread: Japenese made bowlbacls

Default Japenese made bowlbacls

There are a number of used Japanese made bowlbacks on eBay and Reverb at what seem to be really low prices (under $400). Are these decent mandolins or are the low prices for a reason?

Default Re: Japenese made bowlbacls

These older Japanese bowl backs don't sell for much, regardless of quality.

Plenty of people will tell you they are mostly junk and have a lousy sound. That said, I bought a mid-1970s Suzuki this summer and am enjoying it. Mine has a rosewood bowl and narrow staves. It is very resonant and has a long sustain, not the dead and muffled sound other people say they have experienced. I don't know if I just got lucky or if there are some models that are better than others.

3. The following members say thank you to Louise NM for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Louise NM View Post

Plenty of people will tell you they are mostly junk and have a lousy sound. That said, I bought a mid-1970s Suzuki this summer and am enjoying it. Mine has a rosewood bowl and narrow staves. It is very resonant and has a long sustain, not the dead and muffled sound other people say they have experienced. I don't know if I just got lucky or if there are some models that are better than others.
    Exactly so.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	davidinsts2.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	191477

My second mandolin, seen in the above pic from the 80's, was an unlabeled (likely Suzuki) maple stave Japanese bowlback - loud, clear tone, easy to play, resonant, good sustain, etc. Unfortunately it was irreparably damaged when I moved to CA in 1991.

However, I have seen very many similar looking Japanese mandolins that are overbuilt, lack tone and volume, are "dead and muffled" sounding, and as such are not particularly inspiring instruments.

Without playing any particular example, it's hard to tell if it is a good instrument or not.

Someday, I hope to encounter an ‘indecent’ mandolin, but so far none of them has whispered anything salacious at all.
    Yes, to all replies above: plus the unpopularity of the shape for bluegrass. The name Suzuki does seem to punch up the asking price, and if there are any really notable makers, they may be known to few people in this country.
    I suspect that most bowlbacks have been ignored, just sitting around unplayed, and are to be found with their original strings which may also be a factor. So, a recommendation by previous owner who’s a player is your best bet for finding a good one.

6. The following members say thank you to Richard500 for this post:

I had a maple bowl Suzuki from the 1970s and it was overbuilt and not very responsive. I have heard that the more recent models prefeace with an "M" are very nice but usually don't make it over here to North America, at least I have never seen one. Possibly they were meant to be sold in Asia and/or Europe?

There are some excellent small-shop makers in Japan. Try searching on the Builder Database for Japan.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

8. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

So I think my question got answered. They are not inexpensive by accident. The one`s I am looking are are indeed Suzuki's. Still I am tempted to take a chance

I decided to put in a low ball offer on a Suzuki bowlback and it was accepted. Not expecting a top level instrument, just a change of pace. It will get here in March

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveGinNJ For This Useful Post:

And so starts the waiting! Post pictures when it arrives.

And so starts the waiting! Post pictures when it arrives.
    Will do. It may take up to a month to get here from Japan. This one was made the same year I was born (1962) so that was a clear message from the universe that I had to buy it

I picked up a very inexpensive mid-70s bowlback Suzuki some time ago, and it's my main mandolin now (granted, I don't have that much experience with high end mando's).
    The playabilty and tone are perfect for me, very smooth and comfortable to play.