Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Please School Me On Mandolin Strings

Question Re: Please School Me On Mandolin Strings

Measuring string diameter numbers and stating what winding wire metal is used,

is a Brand Neutral way of seeing the string marketplace ..

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

2. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

Default Re: Please School Me On Mandolin Strings

I also play some other instruments including guitar, and I’ve been an Elixir guy for years, though lately I’ve been playing monels on my dread and am liking them. That said, I’m not as big of a fan of the Elixirs on mandolin, as the ones I’ve been able to find have the older/thicker coating. I prefer the coated D’Addairios to the mandolin Elixirs. But, I usually play EJ-74s, which do sound great and last me for 3-6 months unless I’m playing a ton. They’re also locally available.

I’m a very happy Kelley A5 owner as well. Congrats on the new mandolin!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CES For This Useful Post:

maxrTorren61 

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    To further complicate things, for some strings the way they sound out of the pack newly installed is not the sound they will have when they settle in. I play hard, and a lot, and the EJ74s mentioned are my go to strings most of the time. When new I think they are too brassy. After about a week or two, they sound wonderful, and for me that wonderful lasts four months or more, and in some cases not bad for six months.

My point is that when trying strings - how they sound when you put them on may not be how they sound. LOL
    Same with acoustic guitar strings.

Hi Torren,
    Welcome to the acoustic side, I recognize you from an electric forum we both frequent a lot. My string experiences echo those you've heard already. I'm currently favoring GHS A270s as they have a slightly shorter breaking time and longer life the D'Adarrio'a and they have no problem with the fake imposters as D'Adarrio has in the past. Curt Mangan's are great strings but the higher cost + shipping outwieghs their lifespan for me (I keep three mandos strung). Cheers! -Telepraise

7. The following members say thank you to Rob Roy for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Roy View Post
    Hi Torren,
    Welcome to the acoustic side, I recognize you from an electric forum we both frequent a lot. My string experiences echo those you've heard already. I'm currently favoring GHS A270s as they have a slightly shorter breaking time and longer life the D'Adarrio'a and they have no problem with the fake imposters as D'Adarrio has in the past. Curt Mangan's are great strings but the higher cost + shipping outwieghs their lifespan for me (I keep three mandos strung). Cheers! -Telepraise
    Don't tell anyone here what a jerk I am, lol. Uh... no, seriously.

Anyone tried these three on the same mando? D'Addario Phosphor Bronze, Stainless, and Monel? I know there are YouTube comparison vids, but that doesn't tell you much about feel etc.

10. The following members say thank you to maxr for this post:

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maxr View Post
    Anyone tried these three on the same mando? D'Addario Phosphor Bronze, Stainless, and Monel? I know there are YouTube comparison vids, but that doesn't tell you much about feel etc.
    https://youtu.be/dSx2HbvVEaA

This video here does a great job showing the difference in some D'Addario strings. Enjoy

12. The following members say thank you to Zach Wilson for this post:

I recently tested all 3. Had each set on for a week, saved the strings, then switched out. After the week break in period, I played a couple tunes, and switched all 3 sets out back to back to back and ran through the same tunes. To my surprise, I liked the monels best. I say to my surprise because it was not obvious to me at fist that I liked the monels. Take this with a grain of salt because I am a relatively newbie. J74’s sound good on my instrument to. I didn’t care for the nickel, but lots of people like them to. Everyone has different tastes, so you just have to try as many as possible.

I also have a bad problem that new strings sound way better then broken in strings. Most people seem to be opposite here.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to killntime For This Useful Post:

maxrTorren61 

Quote Originally Posted by killntime View Post
    I recently tested all 3.....To my surprise, I liked the monels best.
    Having listened to the better videos comparing D'Addario strings, it seems like all their strings sound OK on a decent instrument, that seems to be a matter of taste (although I suspect I liked the monels best too on the vids I saw). How about feel - anything much in it?

16. The following members say thank you to maxr for this post:

Ya, I know sound is subjective. And that’s what I was wondering, what is Monel? Why does it exist? Does it feel different, or just last longer? Where does Elixir compare in these categories? And silk?

18. The following members say thank you to Medley12 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Medley12 View Post
    ...what is Monel?
    Monel is a highly corrosion resistant steel alloy.

20. The following members say thank you to maxr for this post:

Question Re: Please School Me On Mandolin Strings

FYI Re: Monel alloys
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monel ..
    No. it's a trace element in the Alloy ..
    More Nickel-copper, wire wrapped around the steel core wire in this case..
    note Max values of like 2.5% Fe.

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandroid For This Useful Post:

maxrTorren61 

I feel like monels feel a little smoother on the wound strings than PB, but that may have more to do with the winding shape than the alloy. But, that feeling has been consistent with the old Gibson Sam Bush set and the more recent Martin ones I’ve tried. Less overtones and a little more fundamental tonally, if that makes any sense. But, not dull sounding...

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CES For This Useful Post:

maxrTorren61 

....And that’s what I was wondering, what is Monel? Why does it exist?
    Monel is a nickel-copper-iron alloy. It has most of the strength of steel but excellent corrosion resistance. It exists to make the seawater pipes we used on my submarine. Multiple sections of piping, open to the ocean, exposed to pressure at depths (well) in excess of 400 feet, plus the developed head of the pumps.

That's one reason I'm here on this forum and not feeding anglerfish on the bottom of the sea.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandobart For This Useful Post:

Thank you for your service, MandoBart. I mean that sincerely...

28. The following members say thank you to Medley12 for this post:

Well, I'm glad someone knows what he's talking about, guess I misread Wikepdia

I have tried Phosphor bronze, Elixir, silk and bronze and my favorite is GHS N270 Nickel. They last a long time with no sound degradation and sound great to me.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

31. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

maxr 

Sorry, you can have twenty people try those strings on twenty mandolins each but that still would not tell you anything about how they would sound or feel on your mandolin. Buy the sets and try them on your mandolin. It truly doesn't matter what any of us say.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

33. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

maxr 

I absolutely agree with that. Well I was kind a hoping to find out was why would one want to try a particular kind over another? Are there any benefits to any of them other than sound?
    EX: silk feels considerably smoother

35. The following members say thank you to Medley12 for this post:

maxr 

Phosphor bronze have the classic sound. They can sound very bright and chimey when brand new. Some like this, others prefer the tone after a week or so. Life span is very subjective, but average is probably six to twelve weeks.

Monels have a very smooth feel, and the sound is much more fundamental, far fewer overtones. "Darker", compared to the "light" of PB. Lifespan tends to be very long. I've had them on for 9 months, and just changed them because I felt like it, not because they needed it. Smooth feel also lasts, since they are so corrosion resistant.

D'Addario NB (Nickle Bronze) are very similar to Monel, IMO. Smooth feel, darker than PB but a little brighter than Monel. Also long lasting.

Stainless (can't remember what brand I tried, maybe GHS?) were between the NB's and PB sound-wise. Feel was not as smooth as Monel or NB. Seemed to last longer for me than PB, but not like Monel.

I didn't include any flatwounds, but a lot of people love them. I played LaBella's for a while years ago and really liked them, but they weren't really lound enough for my needs at the time. The feel, however, was incredible. So smooth and easy on the fingers.

Needless to say, all of this represents my own personal experience and preferences. Many others will have different experiences. YMMV. It may seem a bit daunting if you're not accustomed to it, but experimenting with strings is one of the cheaper ways of tinkering and customizing. And you'll get quick at the changing process in no time. Just try and give each set at least a week to settle in.
    Mitch Russell

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onassis For This Useful Post:

I like Mitch Russell's description. I went from PB to Monel to NB. I would agree with everything he said, just to add that I found the NBs to sound a bit warmer to me than the Monels.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

39. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

maxr 

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Sorry, you can have twenty people try those strings on twenty mandolins each but that still would not tell you anything about how they would sound or feel on your mandolin. Buy the sets and try them on your mandolin. It truly doesn't matter what any of us say.
    Well, I don't know about mandolins (which is why I asked), but I do know about fiddles - and there I would differ from the above. Certain fiddles will sound better with certain strungs, but the basic characteristics of the string sound is definitely transferrable. So, if string X sounds brighter than string Y and feels higher tension and rougher, it'll do so on on most fiddles. If the question was 'What sounds Best', then I agree...

I put a set of CM monels on my Pava 5 days ago and I've got them kinda broken in. My question is, will these ever NOT sound like I put electric guitar strings on my mandolin? I'm ready with wire cutters if so. Thanks.

I absolutely agree with that. Well I was kind a hoping to find out was why would one want to try a particular kind over another? Are there any benefits to any of them other than sound?
    EX: silk feels considerably smoother
    The only ones that feel smoother are flat wounds and flat tops.
    The GHS silks have added silk under the winding of the wound strings, to add mass or damping...
    As far as I know, the bulk of a and e courses are solid pulled wire, with the exception of DAddario making a wound A, which in my experience, sounds great but doesn’t last long with heavy playing(comes with the flat top PB set, not sold separately)
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

Well, I don't know about mandolins (which is why I asked), but I do know about fiddles - and there I would differ from the above. Certain fiddles will sound better with certain strungs, but the basic characteristics of the string sound is definitely transferrable. So, if string X sounds brighter than string Y and feels higher tension and rougher, it'll do so on on most fiddles. If the question was 'What sounds Best', then I agree...
    All true, of course and just as true for mandolin strings. I guess the missing info you seek is what characteristics distinguish mandolin strings. In other words would one set sound brighter or feel higher in tension, etc.

I think general construction of violin strings differ more widely than acoustic mandolin strings: multiple types of cores (real gut, synthetic guts of many types, solid metal cores, ropecores, etc.) plus different wrapping metals as well. My favorite chart to get an overall view of characteristics of violin strings is this one on Sharmusic.com.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SharViolinStringChart2020.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	191744

However, it still comes down to trial and error. I have been playing the same fiddle for at least 30 years. I started out with the standard Dominant then moved to Pirastro Aricore and now I use T-I Vision. My fiddle is very dark, almost viola-like, and for fiddle music generally I prefer some brightness so those strings work nicely for the balance. Only recently I started using the Kaplan non-whistling E string.

As for mandolin strings, there are much less variants in the types: flatwound, roundwound, and silk and steel for the wound strings and generally steel unwound strings for the higher pitched courses. And the outer winding choices are bronze, phosphor bronze, nickel, stainless steel, carbon steel and various alloys like nickel bronze and Monel. The only other difference in manufacture is hex core (most makers) versus round core (much rarer). Essentially, I would say that one manufacturer's strings, say PB of the same gauge is very close to another's or, in any case, the difference is very subtle.

So, basically, take all the info you get from this thread or others like it, buy a few sets of strings and see what appeals to you. It is a journey. As I probably already said above, I am quite fond of D'Addario Nickel Bronze strings. I use them on all my carved instruments: Campanella, Flatiron A5-2, Brentrup A4C, '23 Gibson and all of the guitars that get regularly played. Most of my vintage bowlbacks have Dogal Calace RW92b strings (carbon steel wound). My Washburn/L&H A has T-I flatwound strings.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

44. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post: