Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Please School Me On Mandolin Strings

Default Re: Please School Me On Mandolin Strings

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I have been playing the same fiddle for at least 30 years. I started out with the standard Dominant then moved to Pirastro Aricore and now I use T-I Vision. My fiddle is very dark, almost viola-like, and for fiddle music generally I prefer some brightness so those strings work nicely for the balance. Only recently I started using the Kaplan non-whistling E string...As for mandolin strings, there are much less variants in the types
    Thanks for all that Jim. The one circumstance I found not to follow the general predictability of fiddle string sound is my Luis & Clarke carbon violin. I tried 6 string sets on it, and the best all round sound and playability is undoubtedly Helicore, which is a string that generally responds very quickly but usually doesn't give the fullest or richest sound compared with strings like Eavah Pirazzi - but it does on that violin. Of course, violin strings are all designed for wooden violins (or electric ones, but that's another story).

I'll try nickel bronze for the lower two sets on my Eastman 305 - I expect the As and Es are the same as the PB set.

I was using the D'Addario EXP74CM Coated Phosphor Bronze Loop End Mando .0115-.040 Strings but they no longer sell them. I am trying to find the strings they replaced the EXP74CM with - does anyone have any knowledge of this?

Quote Originally Posted by pdgotro View Post
    i was using the d'addario exp74cm coated phosphor bronze loop end mando .0115-.040 strings but they no longer sell them. I am trying to find the strings they replaced the exp74cm with - does anyone have any knowledge of this?
    xtm1140

Quote Originally Posted by maxr View Post
    Thanks for all that Jim. The one circumstance I found not to follow the general predictability of fiddle string sound is my Luis & Clarke carbon violin. I tried 6 string sets on it, and the best all round sound and playability is undoubtedly Helicore, which is a string that generally responds very quickly but usually doesn't give the fullest or richest sound compared with strings like Eavah Pirazzi - but it does on that violin. Of course, violin strings are all designed for wooden violins (or electric ones, but that's another story).

I'll try nickel bronze for the lower two sets on my Eastman 305 - I expect the As and Es are the same as the PB set.

Your experience mirrors what I have observed on my CF violin (Mezzo-forte). Helicores sound good but the Evah Pirazzi's sound great. Obligato's also sound great but very pricey.

For mandolin, Straight Up Strings (https://www.siminoff.net) are balanced and have good feel. They don't get much love here but at about $6 bucks a set, they are worth a try.

5. The following members say thank you to Lucas for this post:

maxr 

Quote Originally Posted by PDGotro View Post
    I was using the D'Addario EXP74CM Coated Phosphor Bronze Loop End Mando .0115-.040 Strings but they no longer sell them. I am trying to find the strings they replaced the EXP74CM with - does anyone have any knowledge of this?
    Looks like the XT strings are the replacement.
    Same gauges - 11.5 - 40.
    Coated. Or as they say on the packet "with an extended lifespan treatment on every string in the set"

I use them and EJ74s.
    Bren

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    Your experience mirrors what I have observed on my CF violin (Mezzo-forte). Helicores sound good but the Evah Pirazzi's sound great. Obligato's also sound great but very pricey.
    On the Luis and Clarke, Helicores sound just right but Evah and Obligato are too 'fat' sounding, almost wooly - different from all wooden fiddles I've had. I think it must just be the design of the L&C fiddle. Here in UK, those two Pirastro strings cost 1/3 more than Helicore, and they don't last so long for me.

Seems to me I've read Skip Kelly ships mandolins with EJ75, which are heavier than standard mediums on the top.

Like everyone else has said you'll need to experiment to find what you like. Most of mine sound fine with D'Addario EJ74, or the light equivalent on my oval hole. Have also experimented with monel and now trying some Mangan Bluegrass on my Flatiron. Too early to tell, but first impressions were positive.

The nice thing about strings is you can buy a few different styles and still not pay as much as one premium pick. It's a cheap experiment except for the time spent changing them.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

9. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post:

maxr 

Any brand of Monel alloy strings...Martin, D'A, Gibson Monroe or Sam Bush, etc. Exceptionally long life, nice warm wound strings with great overtones.

11. The following members say thank you to dan in va for this post:

maxr