Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can you tell about this mandolin please?

Default Re: Can you tell about this mandolin please?

During the 1920s there were a number of oval hole mandolins:

The A-Jr which was part of a "junior" range of instruments.
    The Style A
    The Style A-2
    The Style A-2x
    The Style A-3
    The Style A-4
    The Style F-2
    The Style F-4

The F style mandolins had a scroll and two points on the right hand side of the body. It is very easy to get confused by such a range. There may not be an impressed mark on your case. My corduroy case for a mandolin does not have one but I think it was made by "Bull's Head" as it has many similarities to those that are impressed. I imagine sometimes the impression was not made very well and has just disappeared with time! Good luck with your instrument- it looks to be a very nice mandolin.

Your Ceccherini (Italian for snipers and pronounced checkereenie) is a nice instrument too, although worth a lot less than the Gibson. There were many Neapolitan-made mandolins imported in the early 1900s and Ceccherini was one of the few high quality makers to export them, in most cases through London-based dealers. Yours looks to be well preserved although it should really be looked at by a luthier to check for any repairs that may be needed and to have new light-gauge strings installed.
    Anglocelt
    mainly Irish & Scottish but open to all dance-oriented melodic music.
    Mandos: Gibson A2, Janish A5, Krishot F5, Taran Springwell, Shippey, Weber Elite A5; TM and OM by Dave Gregory, J E Dallas, Tobin & Davidson.

Quote Originally Posted by Anglocelt View Post
    Your Ceccherini (Italian for snipers and pronounced checkereenie) is a nice instrument too, although worth a lot less than the Gibson. There were many Neapolitan-made mandolins imported in the early 1900s and Ceccherini was one of the few high quality makers to export them, in most cases through London-based dealers. Yours looks to be well preserved although it should really be looked at by a luthier to check for any repairs that may be needed and to have new light-gauge strings installed.
    I agree with Anglocelt that your Ceccherini is a decent Italian bowlback, probably one of the better midgrade brands imported into the UK around the turn of the 19th-20th centuries. There seems to be some odd wear on the back of the neck. Also the bridge is not original. I have a slightly fancier model and often you will find these with an added internal soundboard. Yours is much simpler but still could be a decent playing instrument. As Anglocelt say string with very light strings but also have it checked out by a competent luthier. Let us know where you are located and perhaps someone can recommend someone.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1