Thread: First Instrument

Default First Instrument

Hi everyone! I was wondering if I'd be able to get some thoughts on first instruments. I play guitar and fiddle now and am looking to get into mandolin. I have been looking at the Eastmans and was thinking about that, but after talking to a couple people, they said those are the lowest decent instrument they'd recommend. If that's the case, I could think about something around $1500-1800.

I saw some older posts on here recommending a used Collings MT, but the posts were over 10 years old and the price seems to have increased quite a bit since then. I guess I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations in that range or if it would be a better idea to get an Eastman now and think about upgrading to something more expensive later on.

Thank you!

Blog Entries

Default Re: First Instrument

I have another idea. Borrow or rent a mandolin for a couple of weeks, and see if you are going to fall in love. If not, you saved even more money. If you do fall in love, then get yourself the very best mandolin you can afford.

Just a thought.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

In that budget I’d look for a Silverangel or Ratliff A style. That said, Eastman makes some excellent instruments and I recommend them as well. The other consideration is a Kentucky 900 series, especially if you can find one used...
    Chuck

4. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

Thank you very much! I will look into these!

Northfield's Calhoun is a killer instrument for under $1k and American made. Though it's a flattop, it's extremely versatile, great sounding, and a pleasure to play. Here's a few clips of some great playing on it
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjHLSZRZUa0
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLAdk_pxHKQ&t=128s
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    Northfield F5S
    Northfield Calhoun
    Eastman 305

What do you plan to do with this mandolin? If you don't need a bluegrass cannon, your budget would allow for a vintage Gibson A oval hole. If you do need a bluegrass cannon, you've gotten some good recommendations above.

That's a good point! I think I would mess around with some bluegrass, but primarily play more of the softer folky and melodic stuff. I do a little Celtic on guitar and would like to do some of that on mandolin too.

- - - Updated - - -

And in Michigan (where I'm at!). Thanks for the suggestion!

NFI on my part but this Weber Bridger in the classifieds here is $75 over the top of the budget you stated:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/166119#166119
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Resident Hack

This also popped up yesterday.
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/166329#166329

Lots of fans in these threads
    What I play
    2021 Skip Kelley Two-Point
    Eastwood 'Ricky'
    Morgan Monroe RT-1E
    Epiphone Genesis guitars
    Various Basses

Here is another vote for Eastman. Good materials, good craftsmanship, solid tone.
    Richard

Eastman 305
    Gibson A1 (1919)
    Martin D16 guitar
    Great Divide Guitar (Two-Old-Hippies)
    OME 11" banjo (1973)
    Pisgah 12" banjo

buy a used, quality collings mt or mto. I would not spend the $ on an eastman right now, there should be plenty of good ones out there. the silverangel listed here looks nice also.
    Girouard Custom Studio A Oval
    P.W. Crump OM-III

Quote Originally Posted by gardenmaid View Post
    That's a good point! I think I would mess around with some bluegrass, but primarily play more of the softer folky and melodic stuff. I do a little Celtic on guitar and would like to do some of that on mandolin too.

- - - Updated - - -

And in Michigan (where I'm at!). Thanks for the suggestion!
    If you're in Michigan, maybe you could take a visit to Elderly, in Lansing, and try a variety of mandos.

D.H.

Blog Entries

Go used. A visit to Elderly would be a good day trip, for sure. You can try a bunch above, within and below your price point. Given your interests, you don't NEED an F shaped mandolin (but, if you have the money and it speaks to you, get one.

You can play any music in an oval or F holed mandolin (Statman played killer bluegrass for a long time on an old Gibson A2-Zoval hole mandolin). Hard rules are sometimes for hard heads. An ff holed instrument may be more versatile and more cutting in noisier sessions.

Coming from a playing background you're ahead of the curve for many of us. I would really recommend a day trip to Elderly (assuming they are open to in person customers and letting folks try out the stock - call first). Welcome to the Cafe!

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +