Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Your first great mandolin

Teacher, repair person

Default Re: Your first great mandolin

I started playing mandolin around 1979. There weren't a lot of mandolins being made at that time, and used ones were not very common in southern New England.

My first mandolin was a $40 Korean job. The top caved in when it was only a year or two old. My second mandolin was a Strad-o-lin, which cost $75 and needed a set of tuners. Not a bad mandolin, but not great. Although it has been retired, I still have it.

After I moved to Tennessee, I met Norman Blake, and he put a black A-4 in my hands. It was the first old Gibson I had ever played, and a light went on: "Oh, this is what a good mandolin is supposed to sound like." So I saved my pennies, and went to George Gruhn's then small store on Broadway, and bought an F-4 for myself and a '39 Martin 0-18 guitar for my girlfriend. The total price for both of them was $2500. It was more fun back in those days. I still have the F-4, which has not been retired.

I think the black A-4 is the same one that eventually ended up in Peter Ostroushko's hands. Unfortunately, it looks doubtful that Pete will ever be able to play it again.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rcc56 For This Useful Post:

Teacher, repair person

Quote Originally Posted by Westbrook View Post
    Got my best back in '91 made by our mail man. As it turned out, our mail man builds a heckuva good mandolin...a guy named Paul Newson...check'em out..
    Paul Newson's mandolins are very good indeed, and a bargain at current prices.

4. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post
    Paul Newson's mandolins are very good indeed, and a bargain at current prices.
    Indeed, I cant afford to replace the one I have...LOL!

Paul is a great guy, VERY talented, he is a graduate of the VMSA in SLC Utah...wasn't much of a market for high end violins around at the time so he got into mando's.

I haven't seen him in a while....I think I need to stop in and see what he has cookin'.....maybe see if he'll make me an A.

Teacher, repair person

If he'll take your order, you might want to go for it.
    George Gruhn is now the US dealer for Newson, and George is selling them just about as fast as Paul can make them.
    Every time I go up there, George puts one in my hands if he's got one. They've all been really good.

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

My Rigel. Loved it from the moment I tuned it up, and have had it affirmed by some folks who'd know. This is an heirloom-level mandolin.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

8. The following members say thank you to Dave Greenspoon for this post:

I too have never turned over a mandolin. I started with a Hodson Djangolin. Then I got an Eastman 515. They are both nice mandolins but my Buckeye F5 and I are legally married.
    Play that which you feel is groovy, get down with your bad self, and shake your money maker if it makes sense for you to do so.

Thanks everyone for the wonderful stories! It never ceases to amaze me how much this little instrument gets engrained into our hearts

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Ingrained in our brains, too ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mandobrain.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	15.8 KB 
ID:	191750

[Thanks - or sorry - Jamie.]
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Wilson View Post
    My Parents gave me my first mandolin, a ply wood Fender FM100 or something when I was 16. I had a few others that I traded or sold, nothing "real nice" though...

Then I simply signed up for The Mandolin Stores Black Friday contest a few years back, like I always do. When Dennis called me I fell to the floor! My wife looked shocked! The room spun around, etc. I really couldn't believe it!!!

My Yellowstone has become my forever instrument- it really does keep MAS at bay for me.
    Wow, I must've missed this when it happened! I have always wondered where these instruments in giveaways end up. Very cool!

On topic: My only "great" mandolin is my Collings MT. I'm a lifelong Texan and was fascinated with the whole Collings thing for a long time. About seven years ago my wife rat-holed enough pennies to surprise me with my MT for Xmas. I know there are better and more high-end mandolins in the world, but I doubt I'll ever upgrade. This one is perfect for me.

My previous mandolins were: a Kentucky A-style I scored off eBay for $61 (damaged, repaired, and sort of playable - it got me started). I then built a Campfire mandolin kit from Stew-Mac. I called it "The Wood Turd" because that's about how it sounded and played. It got destroyed somewhere along the way. Then came an Eastman 505 until I got the Collings. Sometimes I dabble with the idea of getting a Mid Mo/Big Muddy (or the like) in addition to the Collings to add another tonal flavor to certain tunes. But really, that would probably only end up a distraction, and I usually end up deciding against it. I did this with guitar for years (buying, trading, selling) and, while fun, usually ended up making things more about the gear than the music. I'm trying not to do that with the mandolin.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bertotti View Post
    I have never turned over a mandolin. I have only ever bought two mandolins. My first was a Vega bowl back from Jim Garber. I still have it, it is a beautiful sounding bowl back and I have no desire to part with it. The next and last was an Oldwave Oval A, also an exceptional sounding instrument. I have messed around with building mostly just experimenting till destruction. Maybe someday I'll have a third when I build something I can stop messing with until it's destroyed, but hey that's how we learn.

Hey, congratulations on the new mandolin. I bet you just love it!
    My Old Wave is my favorite. I may buy one of his octaves someday.

My first great mandolin experience was when I picked up my Randy Wood F 5 at his shop. After playing a variety of mandos, including a Kentucky 1500, I was just blown away with the Randy Wood, still am.