Thread: Makeshift home studio

Default Makeshift home studio

I'm looking to build a makeshift, temporary home studio down in my basement. Not really with the intent of recording anything in mind (yet), but more so around creating a space that I can play and not disturb the rest of the family.

We live in a small ranch style home with an unfinished basement and a toddler that like his father, struggles with remaining asleep, so I'm looking to build something that will trap a lot of the sound, be relatively cheap, and can be repurposed when we actually finish the basement and a proper room can be built.

I've been poking around looking for designs and have really only found one that looks like it might work - "The Blanket Booth" https://www.musicianonamission.com/diy-vocal-booth/

Before I pick up some PVC and shipping blankets, I thought I would look to the sage advice of the Cafe and see if anyone else has built anything similar and how it worked out.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    Northfield F5S
    Northfield Calhoun
    Eastman 305

Default Re: Makeshift home studio

Check this out: <vocalboothtogo.com> It's a resource used by--among others--narrators in the audiobook community to create small inexpensive home recording studios. I haven't built one myself, but people that I know have had good results with gear from this outfit.

Assuming you're playing an acoustic mandolin blankets should work reasonably well. They mostly soak up high frequencies. Instruments that produce lower frequencies and/or higher volume need some more invasive tricks involving more mass.

I have a stack of moving blankets from Harbor Freight that I use to discourage room reflections and computer fan noise while recording. I'm not concerned with sound going up, if I were I would put one or two blankets above. You don't really need a PVC structure, you can attach the blankets to the ceiling to hang down. Very cheap and easy to try out.

There was a YouTube video of a guy who tried a bunch of different things to stop room reflection. The best was using old towels folded up and stuffed inside wood frames with artsy fabrics stapled over the front. Hang them on the walls. Better than commercial studio foam and prettier, too.

If you're building new walls, I suggest using metal studs instead of wood studs. I think they're cheaper than wood now, and easier to work with (plus much less mess). Plus, they won't be ruined if your basement ever floods (assuming you have a sump pump). You also might want to add a metal furring strip layer between the studs and wallboard to help diminish the sound transfer through the wall.
    Paul

Weber Custom Vintage A
    Alvarez A-100
    '82 Fender Bullet (USA)
    '55 Harmony Master Model
    '62 Harmony Tenor Guitar

Quote Originally Posted by mclaugh View Post
    Assuming you're playing an acoustic mandolin blankets should work reasonably well. They mostly soak up high frequencies. Instruments that produce lower frequencies and/or higher volume need some more invasive tricks involving more mass.

I have a stack of moving blankets from Harbor Freight that I use to discourage room reflections and computer fan noise while recording. I'm not concerned with sound going up, if I were I would put one or two blankets above. You don't really need a PVC structure, you can attach the blankets to the ceiling to hang down. Very cheap and easy to try out.
    I would second the Harbor Freight moving blankets. Then eye screws in the ceiling rafters with clothesline strung into a box. Clamp the moving blankets onto the cords and then to each other. Modify size and layering as needed to get what you need.

Thanks all! I picked up some Harbor Freight moving blankets as recommended.

I ended up building a framed booth out of 1” pvc that’s all of 5’x5’ and 6’ tall. Hung up some string lights and setup a lamp inside.

Wife and toddler were unable to hear my playing even at tempo and my Northfield is not quiet.

In a bedroom I hang moving blankets on the walls (not total coverage) and put a few on the floor.

It works very well. It turned a very reflective room into a good sounding studio for cheap.

I have heard that "bass traps" (foam in the corners) are very effective also. I would try that as well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4Pcs-Moving...72.m2749.l2649