Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beginner with new Gold Tone GME-5 questions

Default Re: Beginner with new Gold Tone GME-5 questions

Welcome to the thread and thank you for sharing your experience. That's great that Gold Tone took care of you. I know how much of a pain it is to order international with the customs fees & shipping, so I'm glad you got it worked out. That must have been stressful, because returning an instrument internationally

Do you see any differences in the two mandolins? I'm curious what caused the first one to have intonation issues?

When I took mine to the guitar repair shop, they too told me the bridge needed to be a farther back. Which is weird because now that I moved the saddle back and put the thinner string, it's perfect in tune at the 12th fret. So apparently the bridge doesn't need to be farther back after all.

Do you have any troubles playing bar chords? I'm still struggling with that. I'm not sure if I'm not pushing hard enough or if I am just doing it wrong.

I don't really do barre chords a lot with the stuff I'm playing these days. (Monroe chop chords are an ongoing struggle, but that's true no matter what instrument I'm playing.) You're probably not doing it wrong but mandolin strings are under more tension than a guitar so barre chords are going to be more difficult unless you have really good finger strength.

Quote Originally Posted by BadExampleMan View Post
    I don't really do barre chords a lot with the stuff I'm playing these days. (Monroe chop chords are an ongoing struggle, but that's true no matter what instrument I'm playing.) You're probably not doing it wrong but mandolin strings are under more tension than a guitar so barre chords are going to be more difficult unless you have really good finger strength.
    I'm starting to have second thoughts about the barre chords.. I'm learning the 3 note moveable chords, like this one:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2021-03-02_2201.png 
Views:	71 
Size:	2.4 KB 
ID:	192465

and I can't seem to get my first two fingers on the adjacent strings. So I was playing it by barring with the first but that doesn't work well either. On my ukulele it's easier to play the first two strings with the first two fingers because the strings are spaced farther apart. And it's also easier to barre the first two strings with the first finger. I'm curious how other people play these, especially on the Goldtone GME-5.

Barre chords just take practice. A good setup helps to insure the action is good. It’s a time where playing like a guitar helps.

Your example is a very common one and a very useful shape. Change any note one fret either direction leads and you’re in new territory.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McCall View Post
    Barre chords just take practice. A good setup helps to insure the action is good. It’s a time where playing like a guitar helps.

Your example is a very common one and a very useful shape. Change any note one fret either direction leads and you’re in new territory.
    Would putting on lighter strings make it easier? I currently have .011 .016 .026w .040w .048w

Quote Originally Posted by cunparis View Post
    Would putting on lighter strings make it easier? I currently have .011 .016 .026w .040w .048w
    Maybe, but you really want to build up your strength and technique with the strings you have, IMO. Then if you want to switch to lighter strings at a later date your barres will be even better.

Try rolling your index finger a little bit. That is, rather than pressing down right in the center of your finger pad, press from a little to one side, where there's less flesh and the bone is closer to the surface. Also, make sure your finger is positioned exactly properly relative to the fret. It should be right behind it, as close as you can be without being on top of it.

Maybe, but might not be enough to overcome a too high nut. If it’s real hard at the first fret and much easier at the 7th fret, I’d check the nut.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

I'm starting to have second thoughts about the barre chords.. I'm learning the 3 note moveable chords, like this one:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2021-03-02_2201.png 
Views:	71 
Size:	2.4 KB 
ID:	192465

and I can't seem to get my first two fingers on the adjacent strings. So I was playing it by barring with the first but that doesn't work well either. On my ukulele it's easier to play the first two strings with the first two fingers because the strings are spaced farther apart. And it's also easier to barre the first two strings with the first finger. I'm curious how other people play these, especially on the Goldtone GME-5.
    I have adapted open string chord forms , by re assigning fingers , to make them movable..

try those based on G & C..

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture