Thread: Cleaning up after an outgassed celluloid pickguard

Default Cleaning up after an outgassed celluloid pickguard

As many of you know, when old celluloid pickguards disintegrate inside a case, they leave gunk on the fretboard (and other parts of the instrument as well, if you're not lucky). What is the best way to remove said gunk?
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Teacher, repair person

Default Re: Cleaning up after an outgassed celluloid pickguard

#0000 steel wool for the frets and fingerboard. Some prefer the modern plastic wools if you can find a fine enough grit. I have never seen any reason to worry about steel wool on a fingerboard, though. Then, a little naphtha to get rid of the dirt.

For finished wood, I would start with naphtha, followed by just a little high grade violin polish if you wish. If that doesn't do it, water on a damp [not soaked] rag, going along the grain, changing to a new rag section every stroke or two to avoid scratching from the grit that is picked up on the rag. Then, let sit for a couple of hours and go over it with rottenstone and mineral oil. I do not recommend modern compounds for delicate old Gibson finishes.

Doesn't sound too tricky. The instrument in question is an electric and there's some corrosion on the exposed metal bar of the pickup. Steel wool for that?

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Do not get steel wool anywhere near an electric pickup! It will only make matters worse. Even if you use it on the fingerboard mask off the pickups completely.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Teacher, repair person

No. Steel wool is magnetic, and your pickup will grow a steel wool beard.

Cover the pickup with low tack masking tape while you are working on the fingerboard. Then get rid of any steel wool whiskers and dust in sight. Then, remove the tape, and you can try a little mineral spirits, or some electrical contact cleaner on a q-tip. If that doesn't get it, you can very carefully try some rubbing alcohol on a q-tip. Don't let the alcohol touch any finished surfaces. If that doesn't do it, re-cover the pickup, except for the bar, with new tape to protect any plated surfaces from getting scratched up. Then, you can try some very fine sandpaper or plastic wool on the bar. If that doesn't do it, cease and desist.

If you do get steel wool on a pickup, you can pull it off with the adhesive side of a piece of masking tape, but it will take several passes to get rid of all the whiskers.

"And little sir John's grown a long long beard, and so become a man . . ."

Teacher, repair person

Another thing you might try to use to clean the pickup bar is an old fashioned eraser stick, if any such thing exists anymore.
    Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post
    Another thing you might try to use to clean the pickup bar is an old fashioned eraser stick, if any such thing exists anymore.
    Good luck.
    Like this? https://www.amazon.com/Cleaning-Eras...99461174&psc=1

Teacher, repair person

You can try it, but it might be too large, and I don't know if it has the right degree of abrasivness.
    I was referring to the old-fashioned eraser sticks that came from the old-fashioned stationery stores that looked like a pencil.

Even taped off I wouldn't use steel wool. Scotchbrite pads work great and arn't magnetic.

I use Bronze wool instead of steel wool. You still need to take care around any open electronics though, Bronze is conductive but it won't stick to anything magnetic. Pretty good at cleaning up a finger board but sheds bits in the process, just like steel wool.
    Sucker for a hard luck case