Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Eastman 305 - how long to play in, does tuning change?

Default New Eastman 305 - how long to play in, does tuning change?

Just got my new Eastman 305 - opened the box with gloves, checked it for damage, then put it in purdah for 3 days - Covid precautions in UK for new stuff you don't want to use alcohol based wipes on. Do these mandos take a while to play in, how long does that take, and when they do, is the octave likely to stay in tune, or might it move a little?

BTW, seems like these things flew off the shelves when Covid lockdown happened here in UK, like bikes - only a few regular dealers in UK had stock of this model when I ordered.

Default Re: New Eastman 305 - how long to play in, does tuning change?

Difficult to find in the UK? I know at least two places which clam to have them in stock - one even has a left handed model!

That said, it’s impossible to tell how long it will take to “play in”. There are, of course, those who will claim that mandolins don’t open up over time; I’m not one of those but my view would be that a decently built instrument will continue to develop for many years. I have a 3 year old Collings mandola which is only now sounding good enough for me to want to play it in public.

I would suggest that you play it as much as you can and, one day, maybe several years in the future you’ll have forgotten how tight it sounded during the covid outbreak. As for the “octave staying in tune”, it might or it might not. There are too may factors at play to offer any advice on this. It’s an organic thing, and subject to change over time. Such things are sent to try us - I found a high fret on one of my mandolins last week - it’s 12 years old and, apart from a truss rod adjustment, it’s not been touched since the day I bought it. Fortunately, it only affects the A string on the 13 th fret so I’ll leave it alone for now.

3. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

maxr 

Ray - I too found two places in UK where they were actually in stock, but more where they were listed as being in stock but they didn't have any. It seems some will take your order and only then tell you it's not in stock and suggest you wait (that happened to me once, after that two more confirmed they had none on the phone) . If they have a stock order in, delivery from Holland has a slight delay of maybe two weeks (current post Brexit customs etc. delays). If they don't have one in the pipeline, it's much longer, and the waiting time appears to be tentative (or should I say hopeful?).

Quote Originally Posted by maxr View Post
    Just got my new Eastman 305 - opened the box with gloves, checked it for damage, then put it in purdah for 3 days - Covid precautions in UK for new stuff you don't want to use alcohol based wipes on. Do these mandos take a while to play in, how long does that take, and when they do, is the octave likely to stay in tune, or might it move a little?

BTW, seems like these things flew off the shelves when Covid lockdown happened here in UK, like bikes - only a few regular dealers in UK had stock of this model when I ordered.
    Congrats on getting the 305! You’re going to love it. Gotta be hard to wait

I’ve had mine for about a year, and to my ear, it’s opened up a little bit, not dramatic just yet. Though I also have a toddler, so my dedicated playing time is limited - YMMV

The woodier tone is starting to really come out nicely
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    Northfield F5S
    Northfield Calhoun
    Eastman 305

6. The following members say thank you to Jcdraayer for this post:

maxr 

Ray - I too found two places in UK where they were actually in stock, but more where they were listed as being in stock but they didn't have any. It seems some will take your order and only then tell you it's not in stock and suggest you wait (that happened to me once, after that two more confirmed they had none on the phone) . If they have a stock order in, delivery from Holland has a slight delay of maybe two weeks (current post Brexit customs etc. delays). If they don't have one in the pipeline, it's much longer, and the waiting time appears to be tentative (or should I say hopeful?).
    My first call for Eastman mandolins (not that I’m ever likely to need one) would be Forsythe Music in Manchester or TAMCO in Brighton. Brexit is causing all sorts of problems at the moment. I had a delivery from Thoman on Wednesday which took 4 weeks; in the past it’s generally taken 4 days. I had 3 “Sheduled Delivery” times from UPS and they didn’t meet any of them. They actually delivered 24 hours before the final one!

The Eastman 305 is a good mandolin. One of my sons has one, and it plays and sounds great. The tuners are a bit stiff, but it stays in tune and has a really loud and punchy, woody tone.

9. The following members say thank you to Johnny60 for this post:

maxr 

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny60 View Post
    The Eastman 305 is a good mandolin. One of my sons has one, and it plays and sounds great. The tuners are a bit stiff, but it stays in tune and has a really loud and punchy, woody tone.
    Interesting - that word 'woody' comes up regularly re. the 305, and some of the YouTube reviews/sales vids appear to confirm that. More expensive Eastmans on vids often sound less woody than the cheaper ones - which is great for me, 'cos that's what I was looking for.

11. The following members say thank you to maxr for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    My first call for Eastman mandolins (not that I’m ever likely to need one) would be Forsythe Music in Manchester or TAMCO in Brighton. Brexit is causing all sorts of problems at the moment. I had a delivery from Thoman on Wednesday which took 4 weeks; in the past it’s generally taken 4 days. I had 3 “Sheduled Delivery” times from UPS and they didn’t meet any of them. They actually delivered 24 hours before the final one!
    I got mine from Eagle Music in Huddersfield, who were very honest about stock and when they expected delivery. EU>UK delivery seems very variable at the moment. On the other hand I'm getting stuff next day from some UK suppliers who don't advertise or charge for fast delivery.

What do you mean when you ask ‘will
    the octave stay in tune?’ Are you asking about intonation, or do you mean the string courses staying in tune with each other? I’m just a bit concerned that you think each course needs to be tuned an octave apart from each other... please don’t do that - it’ll damage the mandolin. They should be in unison.
    Gibson A9
    Jimmy Moon Standard A

Quote Originally Posted by Jai View Post
    What do you mean when you ask ‘will
    the octave stay in tune?’ Are you asking about intonation, or do you mean the string courses staying in tune with each other? I’m just a bit concerned that you think each course needs to be tuned an octave apart from each other... please don’t do that - it’ll damage the mandolin. They should be in unison.
    Hi Jai: Thanks - but no, I'm coming at this from having made a few guitars in the past and so on. What I'm asking is whether it's likely that the bridge position for acccurate octave tuning (and thereby accurate in-tune playing overall) might move once the instrument plays in, neccessitating moving the bridge slightly to correct the tuning. I'm considering whether to scribe the current bridge position lightly on the top with short lines or an indelible marker, so that if the bridge ever gets knocked slightly out of position in close combat playing I can put it back quickly. Obviously I wouldn't make those marks if it's likely that the 'accurate tuning' bridge position might move. Another question occurs to me, though, which is: can the accurate tuning bridge position move if one tries a different string material? I guess it shouldn't, but...

If you want to mark the bridge for position use a pencil and softly mark a line on the foot of the bridge and follow the line to the top. The pencil will rub off it you want to remove it, but will stay there if you don't.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

16. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

maxr 

Hi Jai: Thanks - but no, I'm coming at this from having made a few guitars in the past and so on. What I'm asking is whether it's likely that the bridge position for acccurate octave tuning (and thereby accurate in-tune playing overall) might move once the instrument plays in, neccessitating moving the bridge slightly to correct the tuning. I'm considering whether to scribe the current bridge position lightly on the top with short lines or an indelible marker, so that if the bridge ever gets knocked slightly out of position in close combat playing I can put it back quickly. Obviously I wouldn't make those marks if it's likely that the 'accurate tuning' bridge position might move. Another question occurs to me, though, which is: can the accurate tuning bridge position move if one tries a different string material? I guess it shouldn't, but...
    Hi Maxr,

I wouldn't worry about setting the intonation at all. It is so easy to do, especially once you have done it a few times, that marking the bridge position is not worth thinking about. Really, this is very simple. Others may have different experiences, but I set intonation without any consternation.

Good luck with your new instrument. I think these are among the very best values on the market!

Best wishes,

Bob
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

18. The following members say thank you to Bob Clark for this post:

maxr 

Interesting - that word 'woody' comes up regularly re. the 305, and some of the YouTube reviews/sales vids appear to confirm that. More expensive Eastmans on vids often sound less woody than the cheaper ones - which is great for me, 'cos that's what I was looking for.
    In my experience, the gloss-finished Eastmans tend to have a more dampened sound, where the satin-finished ones are more open (i.e. "woody"). If I were going to buy an Eastman, I'd get a 300-series and likely upgrade the hardware. And if you want it to look shiny, it's very easy to buff a satin finish up to an almost gloss look. If done correctly it will look more violin-like, a better look to my eye than a traditional gloss. YMMV.

20. The following members say thank you to Caleb for this post:

maxr 

The "octave" you are referring to sounds to me like a reference to intonation. Learn how to intonate the instrument. You will need to do this when you change strings.

http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/r...intonation.php

Play the hell out of the thing and it will start to loosen up. Keep it out of the case and put in front of your speakers and play it music when you are not playing it.

The concept is that the newly fitted glue joints, wood and finish need to have their molecular structure aligned. There are gadgets for this, but just sound vibrating the instrument is what they do.
    Last edited by steve in tampa; Jan-31-2021 at 10:54am. Reason: additional information

22. The following members say thank you to steve in tampa for this post:

maxr 

If it doesn't have it right out of the box, I'd send it back.
    2021 The Loar LM700 VS

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
    In my experience, the gloss-finished Eastmans tend to have a more dampened sound, where the satin-finished ones are more open (i.e. "woody"). If I were going to buy an Eastman, I'd get a 300-series and likely upgrade the hardware. And if you want it to look shiny, it's very easy to buff a satin finish up to an almost gloss look. If done correctly it will look more violin-like, a better look to my eye than a traditional gloss. YMMV.
    Thanks Caleb. The 305 now has the standard Eastman alu tailpiece, so I guess upgrading is down to finding out how good the no-name tuners are. I wonder if the satin finish is thinner than the factory gloss ones, which might affect the sound? What do you use to buff it with - finish grade T cut, or finest grade steel wool, or similar?

Quote Originally Posted by J Mangio View Post
    If it doesn't have it right out of the box, I'd send it back.
    Certainly it's have to sound OK out of the box. Fiddles have carved tops and backs like mandolins. Generally they get better with playing (though some take years..), but it seems to be general advice that if you don't like the basic style of sound of a fiddle from new, you're not going to like it ever even if it gets better. Maybe mandos are the same.

Certainly it's have to sound OK out of the box. Fiddles have carved tops and backs like mandolins. Generally they get better with playing (though some take years..), but it seems to be general advice that if you don't like the basic style of sound of a fiddle from new, you're not going to like it ever even if it gets better. Maybe mandos are the same.
    Nah...I'm buying today's sound. If it sounds better down the road, that's a bonus.
    2021 The Loar LM700 VS

27. The following members say thank you to J Mangio for this post:

maxr 

You had asked about whether the intonation could change with different strings -- it certainly did with mine. I normally use ej74s but in the summer i'll put on coated strings (normally elixirs) and even that much of a difference meant i had to re-intonate the instrument. YMMV of course, and the problem may have been humidity but it is something to keep in mind. although occasionally a problem with keeping the mandolin in tune up the neck just means you need to change strings period.

I love my 305, although i only play it when i need to play electrified (it's where i put my bridge mike) but it's a sweet instrument in general, i've found.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Randi Gormley For This Useful Post:

I got mine from Eagle Music in Huddersfield, who were very honest about stock and when they expected delivery. EU>UK delivery seems very variable at the moment. On the other hand I'm getting stuff next day from some UK suppliers who don't advertise or charge for fast delivery.
    Not been to Eagle for a while; just down the road from here althought there are a couple of big hills in the way.

31. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

maxr 

Thanks Caleb. The 305 now has the standard Eastman alu tailpiece, so I guess upgrading is down to finding out how good the no-name tuners are. I wonder if the satin finish is thinner than the factory gloss ones, which might affect the sound? What do you use to buff it with - finish grade T cut, or finest grade steel wool, or similar?
    Yes, you could buff it out with the finest steel wool you can find. And then after a while, the natural wear and elements will make it more violin-like or antique-looking. I did this with my old Eastman 505 after I took off the gloss with green Scotchbrite.

33. The following members say thank you to Caleb for this post:

maxr 

“Hi Jai: Thanks - but no, I'm coming at this from having made a few guitars in the past and so on. What I'm asking is whether it's likely that the bridge position for acccurate octave tuning (and thereby accurate in-tune playing overall) might move once the instrument plays in, neccessitating moving the bridge slightly to correct the tuning. I'm considering whether to scribe the current bridge position lightly on the top with short lines or an indelible marker, so that if the bridge ever gets knocked slightly out of position in close combat playing I can put it back quickly. Obviously I wouldn't make those marks if it's likely that the 'accurate tuning' bridge position might move. Another question occurs to me, though, which is: can the accurate tuning bridge position move if one tries a different string material? I guess it shouldn't, but...”
    Multi-Quote This Message

Ah I see. I can see other people have now answered this.
    My experience with floating bridges is that they don’t tend to move much. But occasionally you might need to adjust it - but it’s not too hard. Just try not to take all the strings off at once...

I think the 3 series Eastmans are good mandolins.

35. The following members say thank you to Jai for this post:

maxr 

There is one aspect in intonation that you may have not considered and that is whether the saddle has been cut correctly or not. If you look closely at your bridge saddle there are cutbacks for each of the strings. If these are not in proper relation to each other then one or more of the courses may be out in relation to others. I have this problem on my Breedlove KO mandolin on the D course. I have moved the bridge back so that the other three courses are in tune yet the D course stays sharp. I might have to make a new saddle.

I also think that is the Cumberland Acoustic bridges are so good because they have been cut for correct intonation when using harmonic tuning at the 12th fret. So check them all and make a sound judgement as to whether the bridge is set in the right place or not.
    Nic Gellie

37. The following members say thank you to Nick Gellie for this post:

maxr 

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Gellie View Post
    There is one aspect in intonation that you may have not considered and that is whether the saddle has been cut correctly or not...
    Yes, that's a good point. I was taught to make guitars in UK by a woodworking fanatic and all round great guy called Norman Reed. Norman's guitar making method involved cutting the 1/4"/6mm deep (front to back) bridge saddle to enable customised accurate tuning at the 12th fret for each string on that guitar. Of course, different strings etc could affect that, and there's an argument that the only fretted instruments that are 'in tune' anywhere but at the 0, 12th and 24th frets are the ones with partial frets for every string. That argument falls because of course the guitar is built for tempered tuning, which means it's actually equally out of tune in every key as soon as you fret a note. However, the custom bridge saddles we cut on every guitar did seem to make open tuning chords and harmonics noticeably more transparent and 'in tune'.

I’ve never had a problem with bridge positioning although some people claim that they’ve had to adjust it when changing gauges of strings.

One thing you might find is that the saddle can start to lean towards the nut. I’ve had it happen but not recently - it might depend on how much “screw” you end up with between the base and the saddle. The solution, so I’m told, involves brute force, ignorance and hope whilst you bend it back under string tension.