Thread: EQ/pickup/mando questions

Default EQ/pickup/mando questions

Hi
    ok so i have a J. Bovair custom F and its nice..ive been playing in this country band and i need some suggestions dialing in or out the freq. Its this honky midrange i guess? I have a fishman m200 pickup and i run it into a Fractal audio preamp. which is floor amp modler. thanks

Default Re: EQ/pickup/mando questions

The input of the Fractal is for a stomp box, not a transducer. You need a preamp for a transducer with an input of 1 million ohms. Then you can go to the Fractal if you want, but you will have an acoustic sound that should be quite nice with out the Fractal.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    The input of the Fractal is for a stomp box, not a transducer. You need a preamp for a transducer with an input of 1 million ohms. Then you can go to the Fractal if you want, but you will have an acoustic sound that should be quite nice with out the Fractal.

Hi thanks..ya the fractal is just like a stompbox but i have it set to be using a tube preamp with a little verb and then eq. I also have a LR Baggs para i need to try..was just trying to keep it all in the box with the fractal.

Dave Sheets

It looks like some of the fractal audio systems allow you to adjust the input impedance-check to see if the model you have will let you do this, and if so, set it to 1 meg and see what that does to the sound of the mandolin. If you can adjust the input impedance, that will help greatly.

Also, piezo bridge pickups do have the piezo honk thing going- you probably have some pretty powerful eq in the fractal audio unit, try some cuts in the 2k to 4k range (but use your ears) using a graphic eq function or a parametric eq in the fractal unit.
    -Dave
    Flatiron A
    Way too many other instruments

5. The following members say thank you to Dave Sheets for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sheets View Post
    It looks like some of the fractal audio systems allow you to adjust the input impedance-check to see if the model you have will let you do this, and if so, set it to 1 meg and see what that does to the sound of the mandolin. If you can adjust the input impedance, that will help greatly.

Also, piezo bridge pickups do have the piezo honk thing going- you probably have some pretty powerful eq in the fractal audio unit, try some cuts in the 2k to 4k range (but use your ears) using a graphic eq function or a parametric eq in the fractal unit.

Hi thanks, wow i never thought the whole impenedence thing?! ill check, i have the Ax8, yes i am aware of piezo quack forsure. Thats the thing the fractal is super powerful as far as Eqs go i should be able to dial something in but the choices are so vast in this thing from the paragraphic, graphic, onboard EQ section in the amp etc.

Not familiar with the Fractal, but do have a Baggs DI Venue that I play my Rigel through. Takes some experimentation relative to guitar, but I’m usually able to dial it in pretty well, so you’ve got that going for you if the more complicated box is hard to get where you want it.
    Chuck

8. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sheets View Post

Hey Dave
    thanks, i looked it up, the input impedance. AX8: fixed at 1 Megaohm. To be fair, i dont think i have put in enough time trying to dial it. gonna go back and work with it.

Exclamation Re: EQ/pickup/mando questions

More stuff in the signal chain? (past the Piezo to line level preamp) MXR makes stomp box sized multiband EQ..
    Cut &/or boost until you're OK with it ..

never heard of the complicating part you mentioned, so I looked it Up:
    https://www.fractalaudio.com/iii/

seems excessive for live bar gigs..

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I would start with the graphic equalizer, try them all and see how they affect the sound, once you get some experience it gets easier to dial in the sound you want, it's a form of ear training really, like learning to read music (this dot means 'E', and this knob raises or lowers upper bass - 250hz).

I generally EQ my pickup-based instruments, starting with a high-pass to get rid of thumps, and then it depends on the instrument and pickup.

I've had some that lacked sparkle, so a slight shelving boost at 4khz, some were way bass heavy, so a tasteful cut starting at 250hz and down (guitars more than mandos though).

I find that a good pickup usually doesn't need much. Although I generally avoid piezos, soundboard transducers are my thing, they often need a boost in the high, or a cut in the low end, but I can work with that, a bad piezo can't be fixed with EQ.

I haven't spent any time with the hybrid transducer/mic pickups (where they have both that can be blended), they can sound better than a pure transducer, but that's more work than I want to do to dial all that in since I can get the sound I want with a transducer alone.
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.

12. The following members say thank you to kurth83 for this post:

I use a Redeye going in to a Fishman Platinum Stage EQ. I can get the volume and carve out the space to be heard and not overbearing in a 4 piece with no drums. The mandolin has a Fishman bridge pickup. This goes in to a Quilter MP200 10 that DIs into the PA.

14. The following members say thank you to steve in tampa for this post: