Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A good reason to have more than one mandolin

Default Re: A good reason to have more than one mandolin

I'm gonna do it tomorrow morning. The Stradolin is my favorite, and I want to use it to make an ArtistWorks video tomorrow or Tuesday. But I have a bit of hesitancy because I've never done it before (on this mando), and this is a little embarrassing, but I'm not fully sure how to take off the tailpiece cover.

I keep a second close, just in case.
    2021 The Loar LM700 VS

I may be a bit odd in this regard, but I actually like changing strings on my mandolins. I really like my mandolins and I feel as if I am somehow caring for them when I change their strings. In some ways it's like when I brush my cats (Sue, you'll know what I mean, I am sure). It's as if I am repaying them for the joy they give me. I know. . . I know, mandolins are not actually alive and therefore don't care that I am providing them with this service. But who says this must be rational? It gives me a little pleasure and perhaps that's enough.
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

4. The following members say thank you to Bob Clark for this post:

Cobalt 

Another reason to have more than one. If you're playing on stage always have second instrument available ready to play. Much easier to grab your back up than try to change a string in front of an audience. That's a sure way to slow down a set.
    Ratliff R5 2007, Capek A5 2003, Washburn M5S-SB Jethro Burns 1982, Mid-Mo M-2, Epiphone MM 30 Bk mandolins, Harmony Batwing 1970's, George Bauer bowlback early 1900's Philadelphia.

"Don't cloud the issue with facts!" Groucho Marx

6. The following members say thank you to Bob Gnann for this post:

I only have one mandolin, but I do have 3 fiddles.😁

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gnann View Post
    Another reason to have more than one. If you're playing on stage always have second instrument available ready to play. Much easier to grab your back up than try to change a string in front of an audience. That's a sure way to slow down a set.
    Yes, indeedy! This explains one purchase. A few years back I was in a band that played so frenetically that I tended to break strings mid-set. It became rare to get through a gig without breaking a string. Sometimes I'd break two or three - once, even four, including a G-string! Replacing and tuning took too long - even five minutes was too long. Sometimes I'd retune all the remaining strings to get through the set. Which meant I'd have to re-retune those strings during set breaks while I replaced the broken string. I solved this problem by buying a similar second mandolin. A mute button on the DI permitted noiseless switching, even mid-song. So yes, there can be very practical reasons to have multiple mandolins.
    Last edited by journeybear; Jan-31-2021 at 11:25pm. Reason: had more than one second thought ...
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Blog Entries

Thinking more about this ... Practical considerations such as what I mentioned before have been the driving force leading to purchases over the years. Really. I needed a mandola in order to broaden my scope with vocal issues, to enable chord patterns and fingerings in keys more suitable for my voice. The addition of a steel resonator mandolin to my arsenal was beneficial while I was in a jug band. There was one at my luthier's one day, but it was not for sale. There was a National Steel Triolian tenor guitar that was, and it worked out very well for that purpose (tuned same as a mandola). A 1935 Gibson A-00 replaced my stolen late 70s F-12 so I could play gigs until I could find a more suitable replacement, a teens plain A (the second one of these described before came later). Electric mandolins - MandoBirds - were cheap, but sadly sounded it. The second one was to see if it could be refitted to be a mandola, but I never did get there. The custom-built (for another Café member) Ryder 44 was a step up, a quality instrument necessitated by playing a weekly gig in one of the top venues in town.

All in all, there are practical reasons for buying every instrument. Except, perhaps, for the 1908 Gibson A-1 with the pineapple tailpiece cover. I've always wanted one of those. And it's nice to have an instrument with the logo in the peghead; the plain As are nice - they play well and sound great - but they really do look ... plain. Actually, I can justify this purchase along practical lines by it having been a birthday purchase, and doing something nice for oneself with money given by one's dad with that directive associated with it is just the right thing to do.

So, yeah, there are good reasons for all these purchases. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

10. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by poul hansen View Post
    I am fascinated by the sound of this A model 1924 in the video but wonder if they all sound like this or it's just a one off.

Please report back,if I should start saving. ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Yes and no. They don't all sound this good. Some sound even better!
    I agree, but I'd say that most don't sound this good.

The older that comparable instruments are, the less comparable their journeys have been. So, they can have a wide range of aging experiences, just like us.

I've probably played 8-10 pre-Loar Gibson A's over the years, and I've only played one that sounded as good as or better than the 1921 A that I bought eleven years ago at Gryphon. (I played it side-by-side with another one that I really wanted to like better because it had the pumpkin finish, rather than the Sheraton brown. However, the brown one had way better tone.) I'd say that mine sounds slightly better than the one that Baron played, but that could easily be the difference between hearing my instrument in person and his instrument on my screen. If you decide to start saving for one, you might also plan on traveling somewhere that has a store where you could play before you buy, or plan on eating the shipping costs for one or two that just don't turn out to have the magic.
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

Back to the original post, I'd say that the pre-Loar Gibson A's are the perfect example of "a good reason to have more than one mandolin." For me, it wouldn't work as my main or only mandolin, but it offers a totally different tone from what I generally play, and gives a nice expansion of what I do on mandolin.
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

I've been slowly but surely divesting. I still have redundancy capabilities on my main instruments between acoustic (A/F) and electric (5/8; solid/semi; active/passive); otherwise each instrument is demonstrably a different voice and sonic tool.

That said, the key part of the post for ongoing happy-spouse was at the beginning.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus CA View Post
    If you decide to start saving for one, you might also plan on traveling somewhere that has a store where you could play before you buy, or plan on eating the shipping costs for one or two that just don't turn out to have the magic.
    A friend is actually bringing it to Sherry's house for her to check out. Pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus CA View Post
    Back to the original post, I'd say that the pre-Loar Gibson A's are the perfect example of "a good reason to have more than one mandolin." For me, it wouldn't work as my main or only mandolin, but it offers a totally different tone from what I generally play, and gives a nice expansion of what I do on mandolin.
    So Sherry, if you get the Gibson, you can use this argument for keeping your old mandolin. This is an artistry argument, and I think it would hold more water than the string changing one

15. The following members say thank you to Sue Rieter for this post:

When I'm gigging, guitar, I always bring a second guitar for back up. Actually I bring a backup amp as well....extra cables, strings, picks, capos, groupies!

Registered User Sherry Cadenhead's Avatar

Some of us would never be allowed on stage - although I have played in church on occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Clark View Post
    I may be a bit odd in this regard, but I actually like changing strings on my mandolins.
    I like changing strings too. There is a great sense of accomplishment and satisfaction in doing things for oneself, and with one's own things.

19. The following members say thank you to Caleb for this post:

Blog Entries

I kinda do, too ... kinda. I'm usually glad when I do it, when I take a little time to put some care and upkeep into my instruments that give me so much pleasure. But I'll still put it off, because part of it is still a bit of a PITA. So I've reached a compromise - if I'm not gigging a lot, I'll change my strings every three months, whether they need it or not. Thing is, they always sound so good with new strings, I have to wonder why it takes some doing to talk myself into doing it. Ah, people are paradoxical!

Quote Originally Posted by Ash Telecaster View Post
    When I'm gigging, guitar, I always bring a second guitar for back up. Actually I bring a backup amp as well....extra cables, strings, picks, capos, groupies!
    A bit of overkill, perhaps, but better safe than sorry. When gigging regularly, I do pretty much the same, except the amp - only have one. But I bring spare tubes. As to the rest ... Well, no capos, but ... check, check, check - oh, hey, if you could spare a backup groupie ...

True Story, I recently bought a Gibson F-9 (2016) because it was too good of a deal to pass up... When I showed my wife the new addition to my mando collection she said "They are not Pokemon, You dont have to collect them all!"...
    Last edited by kefaragon; Feb-01-2021 at 11:37am.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kefaragon For This Useful Post:

I have two custom mandolins, and I had the luthiers put “made for (me)” on the label... that way I can’t ever sell it...right?
    At least, that’s my story and I’m sticking with it. So far, my wife has not made me sell my backup, even though it sits waiting...
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

Likes quaint instruments poul hansen's Avatar

In these cases I always think of W.C.Fields' wise words:"Women are like elephants........nice to look at but you wouldn't want one in the house"

Substitute "women" with with "men", at your convenience
    Kentucky KM-805..........2 Hora M1086 Portuguese II(1 in car)
    Hora M1088 Mandola.....
    Richmond RMA-110..... .Noname Bearclaw
    Pochette Franz Janisch...5 Pocket............Alfredo Privitera pocket
    Puglisi Pocket 1908........Puglisi 1912.......Puglisi 1917
    3 Mandolinetto ..............C.Garozzo
    1 Mandriola...................Cannelo G. Mandriola...Böhm Waldzither 1921
    Johs Møller 1945............Luigi Embergher Studio 1933
    Marma Seashell back......Luigi Embergher 5bis 1909

Question Re: A good reason to have more than one mandolin

A Poster in another section might like a Winter and a Summer Mandolin due to how the weather, temperature & humidity
    changes so much seasonally ..

I have bought additional mandolins, because no one will lend me theirs for that long.

Now, finding favorites, it's time to let a few go..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

The cheaper Epiphone to gig with. Plays great, plugs in. Sound is passable. Anything happened to it would be no biggie and totally replaceable. The Gibson for studio, personal use at home or with friends only (back when we could hang out and play with friends). The tone is just amazing. Plays well although not as good as the epi. Afraid to get the neck worked on too much. Brother's in Wind Gap PA did a great job without doing a whole refret/leveling job. Action's as low as it can go without buzzing. Bummer, I did use it on a Livestream at home and got over excited on the last hit of a song and put a scratch just above the hole. Heart broken as it's otherwise pristine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mandos.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	380.3 KB 
ID:	191724

Likes quaint instruments poul hansen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mmuller View Post
    .......... Bummer, I did use it on a Livestream at home and got over excited on the last hit of a song and put a scratch just above the hole. Heart broken as it's otherwise pristine.

Name:	Mandos.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	380.3 KB 
ID:	191724
    If it's shellac(probably is) scratches will turn up white(ish) and can be fixed with som spirit on a cotton swab and carefully dab only the scratch, don't rub in the beginning and only a little if necessary. This will dissolve the shellac powder in the scratch, that shows up white and most times leave the (former) scratch clear.

OR sell that defective Gibson to me.
    Kentucky KM-805..........2 Hora M1086 Portuguese II(1 in car)
    Hora M1088 Mandola.....
    Richmond RMA-110..... .Noname Bearclaw
    Pochette Franz Janisch...5 Pocket............Alfredo Privitera pocket
    Puglisi Pocket 1908........Puglisi 1912.......Puglisi 1917
    3 Mandolinetto ..............C.Garozzo
    1 Mandriola...................Cannelo G. Mandriola...Böhm Waldzither 1921
    Johs Møller 1945............Luigi Embergher Studio 1933
    Marma Seashell back......Luigi Embergher 5bis 1909

Some good mandolins have come and gone and i've kept only one, a plain-Jane Stanley A5. Some Monroe cross tunings have given me the nudge for second mandolin to keep for that purpose. But it had to be similar to the Stanley without busting the piggy bank...an A9 popped up recently and it turned out to be a beast and a good excuse too trade a banjo. Methinks ole Bill was onto something.

@Poul Hansen. This one hurt. So you think there's hope? I don't know what they used for finish in 1925. Just don't want to do anything and cause more harm. If we get a stain on a rug, we don't call them stains, we call them memories.

Name:	Mando scratch.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	502.3 KB 
ID:	191728

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

... My wife doesn't understand my logic.
    Isn't this always the way it goes?... Mine has been quoted as to say "... and what does this one do that the others don't do?"

I just like the broad pallet of tone.
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 Hand Crafted Pancake

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dan in va View Post
    ...an A9 popped up recently and it turned out to be a beast and a good excuse to trade a banjo.
    As if one needs an excuse to trade a banjo for a mandolin! Always the right move.