Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1939 Silvertone

Default Re: 1939 Silvertone

I can't wait to get my hands on it. Even though I am just a beginner I think I am going to fall in love with the Levin. I'm an old soul anyway and I have always loved old things rather than new. You probably won't believe this but I have a way of touching an old object or being in an old house and I can describe the person or people that owned the object or lived in the home without ever seeing them or knowing anything about them. It's a very strange feeling and something that actually didn't sit well with me at first but I have actually embraced it now.

Default Re: 1939 Silvertone

I know there are some people that remark on being able to sense things from holding objects as you describe. Certainly, many old buildings have a vibe. I sometimes wonder about those that owned these old instruments. Those made in the 1930s during the Depression were owned by people who had to make sacrifices to buy an instrument and would cherish it. I like to feel that they would appreciate the instrument being looked after by somebody many years later. That mandolin I posted up above had been owned by the seller's father as a child back in the late 30s- and judging by the state of the frets, he did not play much mandolin and the instrument became neglected. However, she was thrilled when I sent her that photo, with the replaced tailpiece cover, the new pickguard and the years of grime removed. She was amazed by the transformation as it really looked a mess in the photos for the auction- she had assumed it was little more than junk.