Thread: Gibson mandolin pricing

Default Gibson mandolin pricing

Are Derrington signed mandolins really going for a premium right now? I'm trying to gauge how to price my 2017 Fern as I'm considering selling it and it's hard to find consistent pricing on secondhand Gibsons.

https://reverb.com/item/34025213-200...yABEgK8vvD_BwE
    2017 Gibson F5L
    Northfield Big Mon
    Collings D1AT
    Collings D1AVN Varnish
    Collings D2HGT
    1941 Martin D-18

"Too dumb for New York, too ugly for L.A."

Default Re: Gibson mandolin pricing

I'd say the short answer to your question is 'Yes'. There's generally a premium attached to the Derrington name. That's not a recent development, it's been that way for some time. The mandolin in the Reverb ad might command a slightly higher price than if that same mandolin were a Carlson-signed example (deservedly or not). Even so, I'd say the one in the ad you posted is priced somewhere between six and seven thousand dollars over what it's worth.

Lots of info available on this site about Charlie Derrington's career and exceptional skills. So yeah, the Derrington name does carry a premium... just not that kind of premium.

The guy who (I'd guess) signed your 2017 F5 has made quite a name for himself as well. Good luck with your sale.
    Last edited by FLATROCK HILL; Feb-01-2021 at 8:05am.
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

Quote Originally Posted by FLATROCK HILL View Post
    I'd say the short answer to your question is 'Yes'. There's generally a premium attached to the Derrington name. That's not a recent development, it's been that way for some time. The mandolin in the Reverb ad might command a slightly higher price than if that same mandolin were a Carlson-signed example (deservedly or not). Even so, I'd say the one in the ad you posted is priced somewhere between six and seven thousand dollars over what it's worth.

Lots of info available on this site about Charlie Derrington's career and exceptional skills. So yeah, the Derrington name does carry a premium... just not that kind of premium.

The guy who (I'd guess) signed your 2017 F5 has made quite a name for himself as well. Good luck with your sale.
    Thanks for your input, I am pretty familiar with Charlie's work and almost bought one of his Ferns before I found my Harvey era one. I thought I had a pretty good understanding of the different eras of modern Gibson mandolin leadership but this ad threw me for a loop when I saw it. I think my initial post could have said- "Is this a crazy price for this mandolin?", lol. I'm still not sure if I'm going to sell my Gibson or not, I absolutely love it but I'm a guitar player first and foremost and I have my eye on something that would necessitate some type of lineup adjustment.
    2017 Gibson F5L
    Northfield Big Mon
    Collings D1AT
    Collings D1AVN Varnish
    Collings D2HGT
    1941 Martin D-18

"Too dumb for New York, too ugly for L.A."

I have a Lebeda I have to figure out .. going post Florentine..
    Last edited by mandroid; Feb-01-2021 at 2:04pm.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

The music emporium has a signed Darrington listed at $14,500!
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Gibson F4 Hybrid #1, D. Harvey 2009
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Numerous wonderful guitars

The Music Emporium Derrington-signed for $14,500 is a Master Model. That may be a bit higher than you'd expect (+15% ?) but it's a well respected dealer. They push the envelope sometimes, but that's one way to find the top of the market.

The Reverb example from the OP at $12,500 is a Derrington-signed F5-L. Perhaps they've confused the "Master Model" on the label with it actually being a Master Model. I'd think it's priced at about twice its actual value.

Telluride Music Company has one for just under $12k with some play wear. NFI

Quote Originally Posted by FLATROCK HILL View Post

Yes.

Advertised vs actual selling prices are two very different things......
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.