Thread: Casting your own tailpiece

Default Casting your own tailpiece

I would like to venture into casting a tailpiece. Has anyone here done this? Where did you get your gear from? Thanks!
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

Default Re: Casting your own tailpiece

That’s adventurous.

From my time in the foundry I can say it’s dangerous and requires many skills including:
    Woodworking to make the casting container
    Core making to cast a mostly completed shape, dependent on your design of course, and leaving a riser for filling and air escape
    Skill in melting metal

Good dust handling from the core cleanup

You’ll have some grinding/ machining when the part has cooled.

If you have experience with hot metal, like blacksmithing, you’ll be a leg up. I have no idea where you’d buy supplies.

On the bright side, people have cast metal for centuries. Good luck, be safe.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

The subject comes up every few years. One that you might want to look at is here. You can also pick through these.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Assuming that you intend setting up with a forge, etc., which is a great deal of work for one or a few items, the pages of Home Shop Machinist (magazine) are one resource, but there are many other sources for information. Supplies are also easy to source online.
    However, since a tailpiece is a thin and delicate structure supporting concentrated forces (string ends), a casting has to be very high quality with few defects, and that’s where you’re in for a learning curve. You will also have a choice of metals, aluminum being the cheapest and easiest, but hard to keep dross-free.
    If, instead, I misunderstand, and you just want to make a pattern and take it to a foundry, that’s a more likely project. People who make their own metal jewelry do this all the time, so you’d research in that direction.
    Either way, you’re going to have to learn the rules of pattern-making, which are not simple for anything other than very simple shapes.
    Another resource, providing that they’re open for business is the community center or high school shop, often equipped with some knowledgeable people who might even push you toward 3-D printing a pattern!

Thanks guys I will dig in deeper. I spent some time in a steel mill, QC. Never cast my own though. I will be setting up a forge at some point but my desire falls into making a tailpiece design similar to my favorite heavy one that is no longer available. And maybe having a bit of fun in the process.

There are plenty of commercial jewelry casting services that will do multiple small parts for less than $150. For small batches or one off items, that would be the way to go.

BUT....if it is more of a factor of wanting to learn to cast and setup a process in your own shop, that is a different conversation. I certainly don't need a 100 year old 2500 lb patternmaker's lathe for the 2-3 pieces I turn each month, but I enjoy it and like having that machine in the shop, even though it makes no sense to other people. It takes up a lot less space and $$$ than a middle age crisis sports car......
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

BUT....if it is more of a factor of wanting to learn to cast and setup a process in your own shop, that is a different conversation. I certainly don't need a 100 year old 2500 lb patternmaker's lathe for the 2-3 pieces I turn each month, but I enjoy it and like having that machine in the shop, even though it makes no sense to other people. It takes up a lot less space and $$$ than a middle age crisis sports car......
    Any kind of lathe is as hypnotically calming as a cat, IMHO. And besides, any lathe much under a ton is just too flimsy.
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Feb-01-2021 at 1:51pm. Reason: fixed quote syntax

8. The following members say thank you to Richard500 for this post:

I do believe I'm past any midlife crisis, but my life was already filled with fast cars and motorcycles before I ever go to my mid-life. I dabble in knife making and this is the next step for me and Damascus. I haven't tried that yet either. I wish I had a lathe and or mill! You all know what it's like too many projects and not enough time or money in some cases. Thanks for the advice, everyone! Mr COndino is correct though this isn't a money-making endeavour just something I would like to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard500 View Post
    Any kind of lathe is as hypnotically calming as a cat, IMHO. And besides, any lathe much under a ton is just too flimsy.
    Well...... I'm allergic to cats, so there is nothing calming about them, but I agree with you about turning on the lathe. It is very relaxing and also nice to complete a project in a short time.

Turning on the old Oliver lathe outside corporate headquarters, PBR for scale purposes only; please don't drink and turn:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1173 C1.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	871.9 KB 
ID:	191726  
    www.condino.com

That looks like that could get a little "jittery" out there on edge, sticking on that tool rest. That's quite the cantilever. Mine are 1" diameter for that, but even so...

The one shown was 1" diameter; it broke about five minutes after the photo was taken. I had a new one custom made from some local guys that is about twice as much mass and "beef" as this one. More important is to only take off a light to moderate cut. With a lathe this size, it can lift me completely off the ground if it catches!

Apologies for the thread derail; back to castingzzzz......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	442.5 KB 
ID:	191727  
    www.condino.com

No worries I love lathes. As for cats I just got adopted by my 6th stray. They find me, usually very sick or injured but I fix them up and they stay.
    Nice casts by the way.

Blog Entries

Brian Dean of Labraid.CA casts his own. In the past he's offered to do it for others. He may be able to help you upskill.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

I did think about hiring it out but haven't decided yet. Thanks!

Find yourself a jewelry maker who does casting. Could be fun project. I assume you are not going to mass produce these?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I just want to make a few for my own use and learn something about casting. Where it would go from there is unknown I just haven’t thought about it.