Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What Sensation Should You Feel for "The One?"

Registered User Sherry Cadenhead's Avatar

Default Re: What Sensation Should You Feel for "The One?"

Quote Originally Posted by Sherry Cadenhead View Post
    I failed to mention my husband thinks I should be satisfied with what I have. He is retired and we're comfortable financially. I work part-time as a financial advisor and can use what I make as i like, which used to be major trips for the 2 of us. With part of what we haven't spent over the last year I'd like to upgrade my instrument. As a practical matter, easier said than done - but I'm working on it.

More than you wanted to know, but it's certainly a factor.

Regarding a road trip to Nashville, it's certainly something to work toward!
    Turns out my husband was in an unusually good mood today. So, while enjoying our lunch at Whataburger, I sucked it in and told him I plan to buy a second mandolin, that I wanted one with a richer tone, and that I wanted us to enjoy what we've worked hard to attain, rather than leaving all of it to the next generation. He said OK. Then I asked if he'd be interested in a road trip to Nashville in the spring for me to try different instruments and he said sure. (Who was this man, anyway!) The next step is to prepare him for having to entertain himself while I spend, possibly, a couple of full days trying out all the oval holes in sight.

Anyway, progress! He did ask about the Gibson I'm trying out and I just said it may or may not be a keeper.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
    Sometimes Charley’s over in Dallas (Harry Hines and Royal) will have a few quality mandolins on the wall. It seems like last time I was in there they had some sort of old Gibson oval and a couple Collings models. Definitely keep them in mind.
    Thanks, Caleb. Didn't know about that place.

2. The following members say thank you to Sherry Cadenhead for this post:

Turns out my husband was in an unusually good mood today. So, while enjoying our lunch at Whataburger, I sucked it in and told him I plan to buy a second mandolin, that I wanted one with a richer tone, and that I wanted us to enjoy what we've worked hard to attain, rather than leaving all of it to the next generation. He said OK. Then I asked if he'd be interested in a road trip to Nashville in the spring for me to try different instruments and he said sure. (Who was this man, anyway!) The next step is to prepare him for having to entertain himself while I spend, possibly, a couple of full days trying out all the oval holes in sight.

Anyway, progress! He did ask about the Gibson I'm trying out and I just said it may or may not be a keeper.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, Caleb. Didn't know about that place.
    That’s great (Whataburger usually puts a man in a good mood).

Sounds like you’ve got a fun trip to plan! Also, be advised if you go to Charley’s: it’s a pretty rough part of town but a wonderful old-Dallas shop. If you play guitar, their acoustic room is quite amazing! And there are usually at least a few quality mandolins on the wall.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John Soper View Post
    There is nothing that surpasses that dopamine rush when you first fall in love.
    Now here is a crucial point. I believe that a lot of MAS really originates from experiencing this wonderful feeling of the first time with a new mandolin, and saying, "What??? This can never happen again? Are you kidding me? I will forever after be deprived of that first time rush? No. No way."
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

5. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Now here is a crucial point. I believe that a lot of MAS really originates from experiencing this wonderful feeling of the first time with a new mandolin, and saying, "What??? This can never happen again? Are you kidding me? I will forever after be deprived of that first time rush? No. No way."
    I think you're right, but I think it's more complicated than that. I have a wonderful feeling every time I pick up my Strad-O-Lin. But yet, within 6 months of acquiring it, I have two more. And I keep looking, and occasionally see one, feel a rush of attraction, and think , "Ahh, I wish I could afford that," or "Hmm that's just too far to drive." For me, as a person of a certain age, there is an element of "So many (kinds of) mandolins, so little time."

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sue Rieter For This Useful Post:

For me there is never only one. You should see my harem! ...of guitars I mean! Get your head out of the gutter man! I have 14 of them. One for every mood and 2 for when I'm ticked off!

I only have one mandolin as of yet but I'm loving it. I like to just hit a chord on my mandolin and let it sound. It sounds that nice to me.

Someday I'll get bored and look for one painted race car red, covered in travel stickers, and comes with a monkey that plays Cripple Creek but until then I would have to say....this is the one....for now!

My "one" is my 1973 Jeronimo Pena Fernandez classical guitar. The neck is wider than average, the scale length is longer and the frets are further apart; it's not a standard guitar. It was on consignment at the studio where I take lessons. Other students picked it up and were put off because of the size. It caught my eye because it is drop-dead gorgeous. But beyond that, when I picked it up, it felt right. It felt balanced, it felt the right size for my body and hands, even though I am Not Young and I don't have the manual dexterity or flexibility of a young person. When I play it, it sings to me. You cuddle these instruments right up to your heart when you play, and you can feel it in your bones when it's meant for you. It sings in your voice. If my house were on fire, the first thing I would grab would be my pet rabbit, but the next thing would be that guitar.

The fact that I am an incompetent guitarist does not affect our relationship. It forgives me.

Here's the same Fernandez. Mine was an incredible bargain, and I still traded in two guitars to get it.
    https://www.guitarsalon.com/product/...andez-cd-csar/

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MemphisBelle For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Agreed. Used to get that a lot with acoustic guitars (when I had GAS even worse than my MAS). Another reason might be along the lines of - well, this has a great sound for (pick one style of music) but maybe it's not the best for (pick a different genre). Maybe I sound find something that can do that better.

More and more I look happily at folks who have one instrument and just stick with that through everything. Even on my best days I don't think I could do it. Although I do sort of have that as the ultimate goal. Knowing full well that I will always disappoint myself and look longingly at another instrument.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

I had planned to play the Gibson for my whole hour of practice this afternoon, but, honestly, I wasn't enjoying it
    This statement answers your question. An instrument does not have to be the “the one” for me to want to own it. But it does have to be “one” that I want to play for longer than I’d planned.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pheffernan For This Useful Post:

I married her !!

Perhaps my experience is somewhat different from some others. Approaching retirement I decided it was time to go for the really nice instrument I had always wanted. As my late mother used to say when she bought herself a well deserved indulgence "Who better than me?" I already had a couple nice instruments but I wanted next level. With a budget somewhat predicated on my end of the year bonus (think Clarke Griswold) I found a brand new Ratliff R5 that had just arrived at Charles Johnson's and I pounced. Granted this was a somewhat impulsive purchase but .... Quite honestly when I first started playing it I wasn't overwhelmed. But a good friend said give it time to open up and break in. It's still an infant. Be patient grasshopper. I kept playing it and very slowly it got better. About six months in I can remember playing it one night and hearing the epiphany. And it's only gotten better. Had it for for ten plus years as its a lifer.
    Ratliff R5 2007, Capek A5 2003, Washburn M5S-SB Jethro Burns 1982, Mid-Mo M-2, Epiphone MM 30 Bk mandolins, Harmony Batwing 1970's, George Bauer bowlback early 1900's Philadelphia.

"Don't cloud the issue with facts!" Groucho Marx