Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electric Mandolin/Tenor Guitar double neck- not Jimmy Page's!

Default Electric Mandolin/Tenor Guitar double neck- not Jimmy Page's!

Well, I don't think so! Anyway this is somewhat different but could hit the spot for somebody, I am sure! I have not looked at it carefully with regard to condition.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Man...ndition=4%7C10

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Electric Mandolin/Tenor Guitar double neck- not Jimmy Page's!

Interesting, but ... baffling. Shouldn't there be a toggle switch, so one neck isn't madly boinging while you're playing the other? Also, I hope those are floating bridges. If not, the builder put a lot of faith in his intonation. Also in the guts - no back access plate, so any surgery would be a bit of a PITA. Those tailpieces ... One looks to be off an acoustic guitar, the other ... some sort of retrofit? Much of it seems Frankensteined. Except for the body, which was clearly made to accommodate two necks. It sure looks like it's, ah, seen some use. Never heard of the builder. I wish the seller would have strung it up and plugged it in to provide a sound sample. One would think providing a better presentation for an oddity like this would help him sell it. As it is, without that, and starting the description with "weird," and saying things like "it seems work," he's not trying very hard. Also, he doesn't say, but I guess there's no case.

Yeah, not Jimmy Page's! Jimmy's is a Gibson factory built beauty. This is perhaps someone's attempt to replicate it.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

There actually is at least one Gibson SG doubleneck with this configuration. A few more have a mandolin and a standard guitar (Robbie Robertson had one of those). Jimmy's was the 6/12 version, no?

Eastwood made a few mando/tenors for its Warren Ellis series, although the mando neck on that beast has only 4 strings: https://www.premierguitar.com/articl...lis-mandotenor

I would be interested in this as a project, although I'd want to replace some of the components. Maybe drill some holes and install some ferrules and convert to Strat-style bridges with strings through the body? I do actually have a spare tenor trapeze tailpiece floating about, if I wanted to stick with that kind of configuration.

I did recently score a Knutson mando/octave doubleneck like the one our boy Lief plays here ...
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Blog Entries

You're right. Jimmy's was a 6/12 - or top-to-bottom, 12/6.

It was Robbie Robertson who had a mandolin/guitar double-neck. I remember being thrilled to see it in "The Last Waltz" but rather annoyed that he never played the mandolin neck. I guess he may have done so on a song just before or after that didn't make the cut. Otherwise, why pull it out? Just to show off? (A distinct possibility.)

Here's a rundown of the gear used in the show and movie.

And yes - Lief Sorbye, maestro of the mandolin-mandola. Now that is a double-neck to reckon with, most definitely.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Interesting, but ... baffling. Shouldn't there be a toggle switch, so one neck isn't madly boinging while you're playing the other? Also, I hope those are floating bridges. If not, the builder put a lot of faith in his intonation.
    Just a guess.... I see 4 knobs on the body. I bet its a volume/tone knob per instrument. So you would turn one all the way down while playing the other.

Blog Entries

Well, sure. But you'd have to be sure to pick the right knob and turn it the right way, for both necks, in the middle of a solo. A toggle switch eliminates that kind of fussing and possibility of error.

I have a feeling this was an early foray into the form for the builder, in which he was engaged in some trial and error. A bit of both remain.

It is of course possible that one of the knobs is a switch. Just because it turns instead of clicks doesn't mean it can't do the same thing. Of course you won't know unless you ask or buy it.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Blog Entries

Well, sure. But if you look at one of the photos from a side angle, you'll see that the bottommost knob, the odd-looking one, has numbers on its side. it's a knob, not a switch.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600 (1).jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	273.2 KB 
ID:	191749

So ... you ask if you want to know. I've put more time into this guessing game than it's worth.

Well, sure. But if you look at one of the photos from a side angle, you'll see that the bottommost knob, the odd-looking one, has numbers on its side. it's a knob, not a switch.
    Probably beyond the level of sophistication for this beast, but one of the knobs could be a push-pull switch. The knob closest to the pickups also has three little dots/indentations next too it, possibly indicating pickup/neck configs, though with no apparent position indication on the knob itself.

The bottom most knob also is different than the others, could have been changed sometime along the way. It could also be they are just volumes for each instrument and no switches, or as jefflester says a push/pull pot. We are only guessing here from a pic, asking the seller or buying the instrument would give a definite answer.

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    asking the seller or buying the instrument would give a definite answer.
    Not sure anyone cares that much, we'd rather just speculate.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jefflester For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jefflester View Post
    This place is well known for that.

Interesting, but ... baffling. Shouldn't there be a toggle switch, so one neck isn't madly boinging while you're playing the other?
    I think that the first knob is the three way switch. Note the three dots in the pickguard.
    "it's not in bad taste, if it's funny" - john waters

Blog Entries

Of course you won't know unless you ask or buy it.
    We are only guessing here from a pic, asking the seller or buying the instrument would give a definite answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by jefflester View Post
    This place is well known for that.
    That's hilarious, coming from the poster with the mostest guesses!

Quote Originally Posted by John Rosett View Post
    I think that the first knob is the three way switch. Note the three dots in the pickguard.
    Also previously speculated.

Meanwhile, as y'all have been speculatin', someone went and bid this up - five bids in less than one minute, a total of $88. Who does that? The seller? Someone here playing possum? There might be an automatic bid at play, but it looks a bit off, by the bid times.

Never mind. I'll ask. It'd take less time, drive up the price less, and might even provide actual information, instead of infuriating speculation.

Meanwhile, as y'all have been speculatin', someone went and bid this up - five bids in less than one minute, a total of $88. Who does that? The seller? Someone here playing possum? There might be an automatic bid at play, but it looks a bit off, by the bid times.
    Looks perfectly normal, someone going in increments trying to see what it to takes surpass the previous max bid. <bids $20 higher>, no not enough, <bids $15 higher>, still not enough, <bids $10 higher>, etc.

17. The following members say thank you to jefflester for this post:

Blog Entries

Well, I could be reading it wrong - I may have made one or two misteaks in my life - but the time of the bid the one guy was trying to beat, the bid itself, didn't appear until the aforementioned bidder topped it. Or is that just how automatic bids work?

Anyway, as you and two others posited, that top knob is indeed a "switch for three settings." I'm having to interpret what the seller a bit. I wish he would just tune up a string on each neck - or just tighten it up to something in playing range - plug it in, and see how everything operated. And then say something in the listing. All this guessing and goofing around is driving me a bit nuts. Maybe it showed.

Blog Entries

Well, I went ahead and did it. I pulled the trigger on this beast. I'm not sure how much I really wanted it, but I also couldn't talk myself out of it. What I mean is, for years I've been thinking about my dream axe, a mandolin-mandola double-neck, and here this is, virtually the same thing. It has issues, which we've discussed, but if it plays and sounds all right, I believe these can be addressed fairly easily. Like the straight bridge on the mandolin neck, for which I have a compensated bridge. Pickups can be upgraded, knobs too, if need be. It needs a strap knob, and, um, a case. So it will take a bit of work, no doubt, but it could turn out to be just fine.

If it sounds like I'm not exactly overjoyed, there's truth in that. I'm dealing with a bit of buyer's remorse. I mean, I wanted it, or something like it, but part of this escapade was curiosity. What price would it command? It got to be right at the edge of too rich for my blood - and then bidding stopped. It looks like the other bidders had put a limit of $400 on their bidding, because at $405, bidding stopped. With shipping, the cost is $474. If additional costs run less than $200, I could be looking at around $750. That's less than I've spent for any of my old Gibson A models - albeit not that much. And all along I was figuring, my dream axe would probably cost twice that, easily - if I could even find a builder. So I hope I'm doing the right thing.

But as I said, buyer's remorse. Will it sound good from the get-go? Will it need work to play at all? Will it be heavy as all get-out? As I said in my previous post, I may have made one or two misteaks in my life - I don't want to add to that list. Plus, I can't help thinking what I really want is something like Lief Sorbye's beauty - maybe not that futuristic-looking, but closer to that size. And prettier. The thought of lugging around something as heavy as this might be, plus case, is off-putting. Believe me, I thought about all of this all week - except the Leif Sorbye bit; not sure how I overlooked that - but now that it's suddenly become real, all this has come to the fore. Sigh ...

Not feeling as upbeat as I'd like. Maybe it's just taking a bit of getting used to it, being a radical change from anything else I've ever owned. Or seen. I hope that's all it is. Here's hoping!

When the taverns really open, you might start the Mando/tenor craze. You’ll certainly be the only guy with one of those. New tailpieces, maybe a little peghead reshape......

And a babe magnet for sure
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

21. The following members say thank you to Bill McCall for this post:

Blog Entries

The pegheads are OK, though they could be tweaked so they're identical. They look a bit like flames to me. Maybe I'll paint them red=orange-yellow. Maybe not. The tailpieces ... maybe I'll cover them with shiny stickers or something. Or replace them with tremolo bars.

I dunno about it being a babe magnet, but it will surely get some attention.

Well, let me know if you change your mind. I kinda forgot about this beast ... but I guess it's a good thing I wasn't in a bidding war with you.

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

24. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

I’m also curious to hear about this things future! I was interested but couldn’t quite muster up the courage to bid.

Thanks
    Baron

The headstocks look to me like someone was trying to copy a Harmony Batwing.

27. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

Let's hope you enjoy making this interesting instrument into what you desire, I'm sure you can. On another allied matter, the name Kazimer or Kazimir, means "destroyer of peace" which in this context, I hope means that the axe will have a great voice as opposed to introducing disruption!

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NickR For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    The headstocks look to me like someone was trying to copy a Harmony Batwing.
    Aha! That's it - a mirror image. They looked familiar but I couldn't place it.

Eventually we'll have to find a home for some pics in your gallery.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NickR View Post
    Let's hope you enjoy making this interesting instrument into what you desire, I'm sure you can. On another allied matter, the name Kazimer or Kazimir, means "destroyer of peace" which in this context, I hope means that the axe will have a great voice as opposed to introducing disruption!
    Thanks! I do, too. I hope it's the instrumental equivalent of a house that's a "fixer-upper" that has "great bones."

Not too crazy about the name's meaning. Isn't that a little strange? Don't people want to give their kids names with positivity? BTW, I tried googling it to see if I could find information on the builder and got nothing. The name "Quesnel" underneath "Kazimer" may refer to a city in British Columbia with a history that goes back to the gold rush days. The seller is in BC.