Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: La Fürstenberg

Default La Fürstenberg

La Fürstenberg (anonymous, 17th century)
    Pizzicar Galante
    Anna Schivazappa, baroque mandolin

The song is possibly a mockery of the countess of that name,
    who was said to be the Bishop of Strasbourg's mistress.
    Many composers have used this popular melody in their works
    (Henry Purcell, Michel Corrette, ...)

Michel Corrette (1707--1795)

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to vonbiber For This Useful Post:

Default Re: La Fürstenberg

Thanks. I'm a fan of Pizzicar Galante, especially their recording of Valentini sonatas.

And here is a version on theorbo

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vonbiber For This Useful Post:

This decade-plus-old conversation via listserv might be of interest: https://www.mail-archive.com/lute@cs.../msg29031.html. In it, I refer to de Murcia's setting for guitar (found in the Códice Saldívar No.4, compiled ca. 1730):

Any relationship to this poster, vonbiber, or only by shared inspirational namesake? (If you leave the embedded video to watch in YouTube, you'll see it was posted by "Franz von Biber.")
    Last edited by Eugene; Feb-03-2021 at 10:15am.

7. The following members say thank you to Eugene for this post:

Perhaps more relevant to the original post and this venue, I also mentioned Riggieri's (in spite of the video's and associated album's title, this piece is a mandolin solo):

9. The following members say thank you to Eugene for this post:

Is there a "talent" knob? Christian McKee's Avatar

I recently recorded the theme and variations number one and five for radio, they can be heard at classicalmandolin.bandcamp.com. I have a looong way to go before I sound like Camilla Finardi in the previous post, what a lovely delivery.

11. The following members say thank you to Christian McKee for this post:

Eugene 

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
    Any relationship to this poster, vonbiber, or only by shared inspirational namesake? (If you leave the embedded video to watch in YouTube, you'll see it was posted by "Franz von Biber.")
    I actually chose that name because I am a big fan of Heinrich Ignaz Franz Biber.
    One day I had to choose a login and as I was listening to his Rosary Sonatas
    it just came like that...

13. The following members say thank you to vonbiber for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by taboot View Post
    I recently recorded the theme and variations number one and five for radio, they can be heard at classicalmandolin.bandcamp.com. I have a looong way to go before I sound like Camilla Finardi in the previous post, what a lovely delivery.
    Still, cool!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by vonbiber View Post
    I actually chose that name because I am a big fan of Heinrich Ignaz Franz Biber.
    One day I had to choose a login and as I was listening to his Rosary Sonatas
    it just came like that...
    Figured. I'm guessing the YouTube poster did similar. Cool composer, by the way. Of the Rosary Sonata set, I especially like the closing solo Passagalia . . . which might make for an interesting solo-mandolin interpretation. Hmmm . . .

Does anyone from the forum have the score for La Furstenberg that maybe can share?

A good scan of an old copy: https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bt...8913f/f4.image. It’s the last four pages.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Christian McKee For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by taboot View Post
    A good scan of an old copy: https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bt...8913f/f4.image. It’s the last four pages.
    I extracted these pages, tried to clean them up and merged them into this single pdf file
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/vrr7vr8vx2...urstemberg.pdf

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to vonbiber For This Useful Post:

Michael Reichenbach

A recent live performance with Caterina Lichtenberg & Mike Marshall

La Fustemberg starts at ca. 40:30 - the video should start at this position....hope that it works.

Homepage: www.mandoisland.de / Blog: www.mandoisland.com / Freiburg / Germany

21. The following members say thank you to mandoisland for this post:

La Lichtenberg playing La Fürstenberg! wonderful...

Clarification please:
    I have a copy of the La Fustenberg Variations that I got from Plucked Strings ages ago. I think it matches the vonbiber & taboot posts. I will occasionally pull it out & practice a section or 2. What I have is for solo Mandolin. I believe it is the same piece played on the recording Eugene posted. I had never heard it. The Duo by Caterina & Marshal appears similar in the first part, but not exact. Also, there is a second part. Is this Duo available? Or did they arrange this themselves? What is the story on the Duet?
    Thanx,
    Joe B
    A Splendid Time is Guaranteed for All

A much cleaner score can be found here:
    https://www.free-scores.com/PDF_EN/fustemberg-82085.pdf

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vonbiber For This Useful Post:

What's the picking pattern. What should the right hand be doing?

Quote Originally Posted by Hany Hayek View Post
    What's the picking pattern. What should the right hand be doing?
    Need more clarification, Hany. If you're discussing the Riggieri variations, it varies with variation or even passage. Riggieri rarely specifies (he does in the 6th variation, e.g.), but it's sometimes obvious (e.g., the triplets in the 9th seem to follow standard patterns).

28. The following members say thank you to Eugene for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mandopops View Post
    Clarification please:
    I have a copy of the La Fustenberg Variations that I got from Plucked Strings ages ago. I think it matches the vonbiber & taboot posts. I will occasionally pull it out & practice a section or 2. What I have is for solo Mandolin. I believe it is the same piece played on the recording Eugene posted. I had never heard it. The Duo by Caterina & Marshal appears similar in the first part, but not exact. Also, there is a second part. Is this Duo available? Or did they arrange this themselves? What is the story on the Duet?
    Thanx,
    Joe B
    Yeah, I'm just not sure, Joe. I suspect inspiration/excerpting from various sources, and I suspect that there was substantial editing to render the mando-cello part more substantial/integral, whatever the source(s). I'd bet Caterina would be willing to inform if asked.

30. The following members say thank you to Eugene for this post:

By the way, in addition to Le Gentil Dame (2019: Camilla Finardi, mandolin) as I posted above, Ensemble Baschenis (2004: Dorina Frati, mandolin) and Carlo Aonzo (1999 video, Mel Bay) have also released commercially available recordings of the Riggieri variations.

Clarification please:
    ...Also, there is a second part. Is this Duo available? Or did they arrange this themselves? What is the story on the Duet?
    Thanx,
    Joe B
    The on screen credits say "bearb. Lichtenberg/Marshall," in English the equivalent would be "arr. Lichtenberg/Marshall." My guess is that the cello part is original to their arrangement. Mr. Marshall has a bit of a habit for this kind of thing: I remember seeing Mike and Chris Thiele play Bach compositions for SOLO violin to which Mike had added a mandocello part.

Either way, thanks for posting that performance, Michael, it's a lovely recording.
    Christian McKee

Member, The Big North Duo
    Musical Director, The Oregon Mandolin Orchestra

33. The following members say thank you to Christian McKee for this post:

Thanx for the info Eugene & taboot. This thread got me to pull it out & tinker with it again. Good for the chops.
    Joe B
    A Splendid Time is Guaranteed for All

Thanx for the info Eugene & taboot. This thread got me to pull it out & tinker with it again. Good for the chops.
    Joe B
    Indeed!

I remember seeing Mike and Chris Thiele play Bach compositions for SOLO violin to which Mike had added a mandocello part.
    -- taboot

Hmmm. Is there are recording or video of such?

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bartl View Post
    -- taboot

Hmmm. Is there are recording or video of such?

Joe
    I'm unaware of any, but burrowing through youtube might turn something up. When they did it, Mike preceded it with some fun, cheeky patter about how he knows that one simply doesn't rewrite Bach's music, and what his process was like. As I recall it sounded great. I don't recall the exact year of that show, but pretty sure it would have been around 2012 or so. Good luck!
    Christian McKee

Member, The Big North Duo
    Musical Director, The Oregon Mandolin Orchestra

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
    Of the Rosary Sonata set, I especially like the closing solo Passagalia . . . which might make for an interesting solo-mandolin interpretation. Hmmm . . .
    Found a music sheet for it. If you're interested and would like to use it for the mandolin, I can post the link in another message.