Thread: Gibson F5 Hall of Fame Bill Monroe Mandolin

Default Gibson F5 Hall of Fame Bill Monroe Mandolin

Hello everyone!

I came across this ad on Reverb, and found it very interesting. Is anyone aware of this production? Notice the signature's? Location of Build, Date and Number (#4), how many are they building? I wonder what Gibson is up to, they've seem to fallen off the grid when it comes to mandolins, at least with their website.

Great looking copy of Bill's Mandolin.

https://reverb.com/item/38634636-gib...onroe-mandolin

https://reverb.com/item/38634636-gib...onroe-mandolin

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vfvhpzo7swfzykezhooa.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	101.1 KB 
ID:	191760
    Last edited by timothylanderson; Feb-03-2021 at 10:46am.

Default Re: Gibson F5 Hall of Fame Bill Monroe Mandolin

That Bill Monroe signature on the label is real. They had some left over labels that he had signed for another model. That one is being sold for about 5000 dollars more than they originally sold for I think. If they really wanted to be authentic they should have made it with the Gibson headstock logo gouged out!
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Generally a pretty darn good job of distressing as a match... pretty awful job of matching the tailpiece cover engraving...
    John D

4. The following members say thank you to JFDilmando for this post:

Somebody is already trying to flip one? For $30k?

Never ceases to amaze me at the ways they get people to part with their money!

Kinda like putting a deer head on the wall that I didnt shoot.....why??

These are built in Nashville....as far as I know. The Bozeman location on the signature label is an artifact of the time period when they were signed, pre-1996 obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by sgarrity View Post
    It looks as if they are an Authorized Gibson dealer. I think Gibson may be expanding their dealer network as I saw a new Gibson mandolin advertised by Wilcutt Guitars in Lexington KY.

Ummmm... David Harvey posted pictures and a video on his Facebook page and tagged Huber Breese Music in the post. So, that would mean it's a new mandolin for sale at a dealer.
    https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...00000853528892
    “Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.”

My Mandos:
    1981 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #6
    2001 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #57
    2006 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #106
    2017 Boeh F5 #27
    2020 Boeh 2-point #31
    2012 Grey Eagle 2-point #57V

The Mandolin Store had #5 awhile back...

https://themandolinstore.com/product...-master-model/

NFI
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Post number 2 referenced it was $5k higher than originally sold for. I assumed that info to be accurate, thus the flipping it comment.

What is retail? Street price? Looks like TMS sold one for $25k but retail was at $35k?

I think it’s a cool project and Dave and team are really dialing in the look. Sounded great in his hands too. But $30k? I’m a Monroe fanatic but.....

12. The following members say thank you to sgarrity for this post:

Buck 

Teacher, repair person

30K will buy you a new Gilchrist F-5 plus a really good F-4, and on a good day you might even get a little change back.

Reminds me of 20+ years ago when I was doing repairs for a shop that was trying to decide whether to continue their Gibson dealership or let it go while unsold Les Pauls were sitting around collecting dust.

My comment to the owner: "For the price of this [pointing to a new LP], you can by one of these [a USA Stratocaster] and one of these [a USA Telecaster], and have enough left over for a student model electric bass."

Still pretty much true today, although now you might have to come up with another hundred for the bass.

14. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

I know this has been hashed out before and my intention is not to hijack this post or start a .... contest but I can't understand why one would pay top dollar for an instrument and pay a little more on top of that so it looks "distressed". Whether that particular instrument / brand is worth the initial price is up to the buyer. I do a lot of woodworking and I see the same aging process done deliberatly on a new piece. Don't get it myself. If that's what you want, well fine. I prefer to "distress" my instruments the old way. Play the he'll out of them! Over and out.
    Ratliff R5 2007, Capek A5 2003, Washburn M5S-SB Jethro Burns 1982, Mid-Mo M-2, Epiphone MM 30 Bk mandolins, Harmony Batwing 1970's, George Bauer bowlback early 1900's Philadelphia.

"Don't cloud the issue with facts!" Groucho Marx

16. The following members say thank you to Bob Gnann for this post:

I’m trying to think of another example where someone signed labels for one model which were then put on a different model years later. To me one’s signature on a label implies approval or oversight.

Checked the website photos and this mandolin was dated January, 2021 so it’s brand new.

When this series was released, the reviews were very positive.

Personally, I’m not a fan of distressing but many people love it.

Dave Harvey is a genius and his team is building fantastic mandolins. I love my Master Model.

Happy picking!
    “Mandolin brands are a guide, not Gospel “
    - Data Nick

19. The following members say thank you to cayuga red for this post:

With all the attention to the cosmetic details, i can't help but wonder why the fretboard had the wrong # of frets. Bill's mandolin had 21 full length frets and 28 total, while the copy had the standard board layout - 20 full length frets and 29 total frets.

Quote Originally Posted by lgibjones View Post
    I’m trying to think of another example where someone signed labels for one model which were then put on a different model years later. To me one’s signature on a label implies approval or oversight.
    Not an answer to your question - but a long time ago I saw a violinmaker's workshop go up for auction. One of the lots was a stack of old or aged violin labels about 2" thick - all different. Yes, it sold...

Here is a video with Dave Harvey at Gibson, about 6:30 he mentions these.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NY6mgm21Bo

23. The following members say thank you to Northwest Steve for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cayuga red View Post
    Checked the website photos and this mandolin was dated January, 2021 so it’s brand new.

When this series was released, the reviews were very positive.

Personally, I’m not a fan of distressing but many people love it.

Dave Harvey is a genius and his team is building fantastic mandolins. I love my Master Model.

Happy picking!
    Exactly! Mr. Harvey is that rare combination of genius combined with being a perfectionist -- hence the best Gibson mandolins since the 1920s!

And yup that is a new mandolin. I was lucky enough to see the prototype for that series several years ago and it was crazy good.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Quote Originally Posted by lgibjones View Post
    Unfortunately, it's fairly common in the world of sports cards. You could find Johnny Podres autographs on cards made many years after he died. Same with Stan Musial.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

what is with those clown shoe size turning wheels on the bridge? all that work on the finish, and then that?
    John D

I believe my information in post #2 was accurate. If Gibson had 35,000 list on that but The Mandolin Store sold it for 25,000 that’s just yet another example of list price versus “Street price”. If the lister is asking 30,000 that’s less than list but a higher price than the original street price. The fact that it’s an authorized Gibson dealer is irrelevant. It’s too much money. Also, notice that he is not accepting offers.

I believe this series is not aimed at players. I think it’s aimed at collectors an speculators.

Good catch, Dan, on the number of frets. I wonder why they went to so much trouble to exactly copy everything else, but not that?
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A