Thread: Ergonomic musician's chairs

Default Ergonomic musician's chairs

Anybody have any thoughts about these? I've been experiencing lower back stiffness after practice sessions, despite stretching exercises, etc..

Default Re: Ergonomic musician's chairs

Here's my journey. When I first started playing mandolin, this was a major consideration for me since I was having serious back problems from old sports injuries. I experimented with all of the different chairs in our house until I found one where I could sit and play for a while. On a trip to our local music shop, I tried out a drummer's throne and really liked it. Looked into them - and almost bought one - until I found a chiropractor who was able to give me relief from my back pain & sciatica. Now, the seating surface is not a big deal for me.
    "If your memories exceed your dreams, you have begun to die." - Anonymous

3. The following members say thank you to FredK for this post:

This company has been making chairs for musicians for ages. I find them very comfortable. But, I have played in orchestras for ages and sit closer to the edge of the chair, not against the back. These have a flat seat, which I like. In my experience, the worst chairs have a seat angled toward the back, so you are having to fight to keep from sliding. Your needs may differ, of course.

Check your overall posture, too. If you are hunching over to try to look at what either of your hands are doing, you'll pay!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Louise NM For This Useful Post:

I agree that playing posture is huge. For years, when I was a beginner player, my posture was hunched over and just horrible. I also recently hurt my back with poor exercise technique. I'm paying much more attention to this stuff now, but I need a chair that's playing on my team. Thanks for the recommendation. I will check them out.

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

I find the "Pick'N Glider" great for relaxed playing at home. I like a chair with a straight back for outside playing when not standing.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

Been looking a long time for the right chair. Need something with some padding for my skinny +++++ and just the right back rest for my bad back. It also has to be a folding chair because we jam a lot in various places, mostly outside these days (summer only of course).
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

You might find a simple wedge cushion helps. Almost all dining chairs and many office chairs sit you so that the back of your knees is higher than your backside. A wedge cushion either levels that or tips it slightly the other way, which often helps - good luck with that.