Thread: Old-Time Discussion Board

Default Old-Time Discussion Board

Is there anywhere on the www where the Old-Time nerds go to obsessively discuss songs, techniques and gear. Or is that too high tech for the OT crowd. Asking for a friend.

Default Re: Old-Time Discussion Board

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Todd View Post
    Is there anywhere on the www where the Old-Time nerds go to obsessively discuss songs, techniques and gear. Or is that too high tech for the OT crowd. Asking for a friend.
    Well that's a bit condescending isn't it. A lot of my old time friends are computer pro's. Good luck with your question. Oh yeah, by the way you are here.
    Last edited by Charles E.; Feb-03-2021 at 7:28pm.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Well, you've made it this far. Why not go all the way ... here? Plenty of discussions. Bring pencil, paper, and tin can telephone.

Forum: Old-Time, Roots, Early Country, Cajun, Tex-Mex
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to journeybear For This Useful Post:

Todd, since you are from the Low Country, are you familiar with this?.....

https://lfootm.org/links
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

6. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

If you are on Facebook, there are a number of groups. Here are two, but just out Old Time Music into search.

Old Time Mandolin Music

Carolina Old Time Music Network

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Seems like the OT Friends of the Lowcountry hasn't been very active. Surprised there isn't a discussion board dedicated to OT. Lot's of great resources out there. Not to hijack my own thread but are many of you aware of Folkstreams? https://www.folkstreams.net/index.php If you are a string band nerd like me you have to watch the Dance All Night - The Highwoods String Band story https://www.folkstreams.net/film-detail.php?id=435 A great documentary on all accounts. Folkstream is filled with all kinds of good stuff.

One idea. There are so many tunes to learn in the OT galaxy, that I have never found the public forums to have much gravitational force. Instead, I have developed a more private correspondence with players I have met at campouts and such. I don’t limit myself to mandolin players because, honestly, there aren’t that many of us. Banjo and fiddle players have much the same driving interest to learn tunes as I do, and I tend to gravitate to solo banjo tunes as much as anything else. Check out Copper Run, or The Golden Ticket for two examples of what grab me. I have made friends of other immediate and advanced players on Facebook. I communicate with them individually, and occasionally in small groups in Messenger. We only ever talk to share tunes we're learning. Having said that, I have always found the Cafes OT new tunes group to be a very worthwhile focus for learning about new tunes.
    Explore some of my published music here.

—Jim

Sierra F5 #30 (2005)
    Altman 2-point (2007)
    Portuguese fado cittern (1965)