Thread: Low-cost cases/gigbags that FIT WELL for an Eastman 315

Default Low-cost cases/gigbags that FIT WELL for an Eastman 315

Any recommendations out there for some basic protection for my soon-to-arrive Eastman 315 F-style? So much of the info on-line just doesn't give enough detail on specifics -- I'm hoping for something that fits this mandolin well and I know there are many Eastman owners out there who might know! Thanks in advance...

Default Re: Low-cost cases/gigbags that FIT WELL for an Eastman 315

The standard Eastman gig bag fits perfectly and doesn't cost much. Depending on where you are getting your instrument from, a new one should include the gig bag. If not, TMS has them:

https://themandolinstore.com/product...tyle-mandolin/
    "Keep your hat on, we may end up miles from here..." - Kurt Vonnegut

Thanks, Kevin -- I've seen those, but am looking for at least some other options for this mandolin. So many case brands out there -- there have to be some alternatives!

There have to be some inexpensive options out there besides the Eastman gig bag, gang!

Well, you are not very likely to find something better -- and better fitting for an Eastman -- than Eastman's very own gig bag -- for just $25 on sale! Tell us if your budget is larger. There are hardshell case options, too, but these tend to be much more expensive. How much are you willing to spend, and what level of protection are you seeking?

TGI extreme!

Their "TGI 4838 Extreme Padded Flatback Mandolin Gig Bag" fits carved top & back F-style fine
    Bren

I bought one of these, also have a Gator bag. Both are good, not hard cases, but good, light and convenient with substantial protection.

Quote Originally Posted by Elliot Luber View Post
    I bought one of these, also have a Gator bag. Both are good, not hard cases, but good, light and convenient with substantial protection.
    Well, this is just my opinion, but it's probably shared by many players with experience: No gig bag offers "substantial protection." A gig bag may well protect against various scratches and scrapes, and other light abrasive injuries, but it's pretty useless against shocks, drops, or crushing forces. A gig bag is perfectly fine for carrying around the festival grounds or visiting a friend's house for a jam (neither of which we can do these days, alas), or hand-carrying to the local pub, etc. But a gig bag is nearly useless for serious travel, e.g., road trips with other people and baggage, air travel, train travel, etc. A gig bag is flexible: it transmits nearly 100% of any external load to the poor instrument inside! The padding doesn't really help in that respect. Any baggage placed -- accidentally or on purpose -- on top of a gig bag can easily crack the mandolin inside. Any short drop, and the instrument can likewise break.

The better the instrument you own, and the more you travel and/or play with others, the more likely you are to get a hardshell case (or hard foam case). But if the OP is looking at an Eastman gig bag, on sale for a mere $25 (!), and is seriously wondering about other, possibly more inexpensive options, it would be hard to go much lower in price. The "TGI 4838 Extreme Padded Flatback Mandolin Gig Bag" costs 60% more ($40), for example, and (IMO) offer no significantly better protection. The ultralight Gator GL mandolin case is hard foam covered by nylon fabric, and is a really excellent choice on a budget. However, it is NOT a gig bag. It offers MUCH better protection, esp. against crushing forces and drops. But it costs $90, which is over three and a half times the price of the Eastman gig bag, so it doesn't exactly qualify as an "inexpensive option."

Look around for the best price on a Gator XL case, lightweight and the hard foam provides more protection than a gig bag.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

Question Re: Low-cost cases/gigbags that FIT WELL for an Eastman 315

Eastman are not unusually sized or shaped. ..

Measure it and shop by having sellers quote their dimensions & see if they match..

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

11. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by esslewis View Post
    There have to be some inexpensive options out there besides the Eastman gig bag, gang!
    No, actually there doesn't have to be. Sometimes what you see is what you get.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

13. The following members say thank you to Bill McCall for this post:

I have been using the Travelite cases for years. Light and strong.

https://gregboyd.com/product/travelite-mandolin-case/

Another vote for the Travelite if you want light. Was lucky enough to find a "used" one and have hauled the Weber Gallatin around in it with no problems.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

I don’t have one, but a picking friend of mine does, and I’ll throw in a vote for the Travellite too!

Eastmann--->Travelite--->Crossrock fiberglass. Depending how much you want to spend that would be my path.

I was a fan of higher end gig bags like Reunion Blues and Access. They are good but in my mind the Crossrock fiberglass case kind of makes them obsolete. Weighs about the same, costs about the same, protects better and comes in light colors that won't collect heat in the sun.
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

Low cost is a pretty subjective term -- I've had different ones and found that some are OK and others suck (IMO); i.e., you get what you pay for!
    Protection plus lightweight = Travelite.
    Too many instruments...too little time

If you use a Tone Gard, make sure the case will fit Mandolin + Gard.
    For trucking around town with Mando and attached TG, I use a Guardian CG -018 MF hard shell case; around $100.
    Last edited by J Mangio; Feb-08-2021 at 2:38pm.
    2021 The Loar LM700 VS

Musicians Friend is a US source of cheap cases .. if it doesn't fit you can send it back...
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Gator’s oblong hard shell case fits well and offers bettrthan gig bag crush protection. I like Travelite and the Gator similar style case. Mike Marshall carries his Loar in a Travelite.

I’m currently using a Reunion Blues gig bag frequently with my Kelley, but am now intrigued by Crossrock...and (more $$$) Bobelock. But, I’m careful with it and would use a hard case if traveling...

Hey thanks, all — I’ve been absent for a few days. Still mulling over options here. I can see the logic of spending a bit more than an Eastman gig bag costs, but I seriously don’t see needing a whole lot more protection than that. Still, some of these semi-hard cases or heftier gig bags do look like possibilities. Seriously am trying to probably stay under $75 or so, I suppose. I’ll check all these options out — thanks again.
    EDIT — just for the record, I WAS asking for suggestions on cases that fit the Eastman 315 well — not just cases that it would fit into.
    Last edited by esslewis; Feb-11-2021 at 1:18am.

I paid $89 with free shipping for my gator case at Sweetwater (nfi). I can't speak to whether your Eastman would fit well in it, I have my Morris flat top in it which fits nicely. It does have a cutout for that curly bit, though. That's where I keep my polish cloth

If you call them up with measurements, they will check it out for you. That's what I did.

24. The following members say thank you to Sue Rieter for this post:

I'd go for a Gator hardshell GC-Mandolin case. I've been using their fiddle cases for a while - they're very similar. They're not 'drive-over' tough, but the next best thing, and good value (some big discounts online). The only place I'll be using my free Eastman gig bag is in the house, and if I still had young kids not even then.

Measure the size of the mandolin in front of you, then ask the seller to measure their case size ..

I don't have your mandolin so cannot measure it for you ...
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture