Thread: New member, new mandolin

Default New member, new mandolin

Hey everyone, just got myself a mandolin and figured I'd join in for some of the discussion here. I've been a musician for about 23 years now, I've played saxophone since middle school. I also play keyboard (most pop/rock stuff) and I've been trying to learn guitar and accordion. My girlfriend has decided to try and learn banjo, so I figured having another bluegrass instrument in the house wouldn't hurt. So far it's been a lot easier to learn then guitar.

It's a Loar LM-220-VS. Overall I'm impressed with it for the price. Good overall sound, I just need to get it set up correctly. Neck has a little too much relief and it's causing issues after the 5th fret or so. Any tips on getting that set up correctly? I've done it with my guitars, and I'm assuming this will be a very similar process.

Default Re: New member, new mandolin

Welcome to the Cafe.

Rob Meldrum's book is what you want. Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy for free (free to all Mandolin Cafe members).
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

From a setup perspective mandolin is just a small 8-string archtop guitar. :-)

Welcome and enjoy.
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.

Thanks, I just sent an email to Rob, sounds like a good resource.

Here's a quick pic of it:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210204_142823.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	428.8 KB 
ID:	191823

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joeywhat For This Useful Post:

maxrRanald