Thread: Efficient ways to improve audio quality in videos.

Default Efficient ways to improve audio quality in videos.

Usually we use a CAD U37 USB condenser mic into Quicktime video. The mic has a low cut filter that takes some room noise out. Very simple. Sounds ok.

We've also set up condenser mics into Apogee Element for muti-tracking, into Logic for processing, and then sync to video in IMovie (or Windows movie maker). Can sound great. Way too much work for FB or Youtube videos.

Is there a middle ground where I can have better sound and a little more sound processing without needing to sync video/audio?

We have no outboard gear. It's all virtual processing.

**probably should have moved this to equipment**
    Last edited by Chuck Leyda; Feb-06-2021 at 10:47am.
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

Default Re: Efficient ways to improve audio quality in videos.

Hey Chuck, When you asked me this similar question I told you I use a Tascam DR-7. What I failed to mention is I use NIkon D5300 to record my live video and use the Tascam as an "external" mic. Giving me the good audio live. You never mentioned what you record your video with. But if it has external audio capabilities you may be able to get it from an audio out or even a headphone jack, from your computer, and go direct into the camera. That's the only way I know not to have to mess around syncing.

3. The following members say thank you to Frankdolin for this post:

1. Use the recording of your camera's possibly-crappy-sound to sync to your high-quality audio recording — syncing audio-to-audio is way easier than syncing audio-to-video. (Of course, your movie-making software would need to be able to accommodate more than one audio track.)

2. Connect a good mic to your camera (if your camera can record audio without compressing the life out of it), and then use a video editing program like Sony Vegas, which allows you to add any number of processing plugins to the audio track (which would always be synced to the video).
    mando scales
    technical exercises for rock blues & fusion mandolinists
    mp4 backing tracks & free downloadable pdfs

jimbevan.com

5. The following members say thank you to Jim Bevan for this post:

Turns out I can just import the Quicktime video into Logic. It makes an audio file that I can put some EQ, compression, and a little verb on. It stays synced and I can save it back to quicktime for use on FB or Youtube. Pretty convenient!
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com