Thread: Question about tuning

Default Question about tuning

Hey all,
    I hope I am not posting this in the wrong spot.

I recently purchased a Kay K-52T tenor banjo at an estate sale and my question is this. I realize that I am working with 19 frets so trying to play it like a Mando would require some finger yoga, but can I tune this banjo the same as a mandolin or should I tune one octave lower and play it like an octave mandolin/bouzouki? What type of strings would be your choice?

Default Re: Question about tuning

Sorry for the post. I found my answer.

Here is what I would have said if you didn't already find the answer :-)

From what I can tell it has a 23" scale (modern banjos are commonly 26.25" scale), so you could use octave or mandola (CDGA) tuning, different string guages are required for each tuning. There are no strings that would let you tune to mandolin pitch. Banjos tend to expect a lower tension than a guitar, banjos come in at around 11 lbs per string for lights (guitars around 20 lbs/string). Using strings/tuning with significantly higher tensions could damage the instrument.
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.

4. The following members say thank you to kurth83 for this post:

I'm going to tune it like an Irish banjo is supposed to be tuned and learn to play it just that way. I guess the same as an octave mandolin. Newtone strings have been recommended but I can't find them anywhere in the CONUS.

Irish banjo is GDAE like an octave mandolin yes?

How about Daddario EJ63i to start with?

They are made for a 4-string GDAE tuned 22-23" scale length Irish tenor banjo, seems like a match there.
    Their gauges are chosen to be higher tension on the upper two strings which are NPS (15-20 lbs/string), and lower tension (12 lbs/string) on the lower two (wound) strings.

I have never played a tenor banjo so I can't comment on why they did it that way, but it seems like an easy place to start.
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.

7. The following members say thank you to kurth83 for this post:

I am of the understanding that there are two ways to tune the Irish banjo. One being GDAE and the other one octave below that tuning. I might be wrong so please correct me if I am. I am also assuming that for the most part, and I underscore "for the most part" the chords and fingering will be the same on the tenor banjo as on the mandolin aside from the fact that the fret board is much longer and will require some fancy finger yoga. Again I might and probably am mistaken so please correct me if I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Salyers View Post
    I am of the understanding that there are two ways to tune the Irish banjo. One being GDAE and the other one octave below that tuning. I might be wrong so please correct me if I am. I am also assuming that for the most part, and I underscore "for the most part" the chords and fingering will be the same on the tenor banjo as on the mandolin aside from the fact that the fret board is much longer and will require some fancy finger yoga. Again I might and probably am mistaken so please correct me if I am.
    Hi Scott
    If tuning the Tenor banjo to GDAE then that should be one octave below
    the pitch for mandolin using strings of appropriate gauge. As stated above , the banjo's longer scale length will not permit tuning to mandolin pitch. Many, if not most, players in the Irish style use this tuning for single string melody playing. It is , perhaps, less effective for chordal rhythm playing. An alternative would be to use CGDA. Still tuned in 5ths but a 4th higher than GDAE. This is the same pitch as a viola or mandola, and the tuning for which the instrument was first designed. Jazz players favour this tuning for bright sounding chord work, although one or two exponents of the Irish style also use it.
    Any mandolin fingering/ chords work in this tuning, but will be, of course. transposed up a 4th.
    As far as fingering goes- using all four fingers to cover the first 5 frets is a good idea. Cello fingering rather than violin fingering.

10. The following members say thank you to mdowlin for this post: