Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: chisels

Default Re: chisels

Another vote for Narex. Great steel, and they cost less than most of the screwdrivers I own, purchased at $8/each. So if I "need" to do something stupid, I don't really worry about it too much. That being said, I haven't been able to mess one up yet!

Anybody have those polyurethane-handled Craftsman or Stanley chisels from the 70's/80's? They make the whole tool cabinet smell so bad...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vintage-chisel-lot-STANLEY-NO60-molded-clear.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	226.3 KB 
ID:	194970

Adrian Minarovic

I have old Narex chisels (they are local to me so logical choice) and they are good. Not the best in world but not bad. I have very old version with indestructible black hard rubber/plastic handle and they have survived many years of (sometimes rough) service.
    I've been using them instead of fretting hammer since I started working on instruments. I hammer the frets with strike zone of the handles, I can choose heavier or lighter one as needed and the blade makes it easy to keep it perpendicular to fret when in use.
    Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Jacobson View Post
    Anybody have those polyurethane-handled Craftsman or Stanley chisels from the 70's/80's? They make the whole tool cabinet smell so bad...

Name:	vintage-chisel-lot-STANLEY-NO60-molded-clear.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	226.3 KB 
ID:	194970
    I have one or two of those (Stanley). If I need to hammer on a chisel, use a chisel for construction or other rough work, that's what I keep and use them for. They actually do take a pretty good edge.

Yellow Stanley = Trusred friend.

Name:	IMG_0174.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	646.9 KB 
ID:	194993