Thread: Getting static suddenly

Default Getting static suddenly

Hey folks - I have an 8 string Eastwood mandocaster. When I got it, I got Almuse pickups and I lined the cavity with gold foil. Sounded great. I do not use it that often but it's kept in a humidified room. Last night I plugged in and suddenly had a lot of static. Did not seem to be related to the cable plug and possibly a little with the three way pickup switch. I went to my Fender Tenor telecaster and that sounded just fine, so I know its not house grid or my amp or pedal board. Just not sure why all of a sudden, since it was mostly idle. Any troubleshooting suggestions greatly appreciated. TIA.
    Girouard A5
    Girouard F5
    Eastwood Mandocaster
    Fender Tenor Telecaster (GDAE)
    Collings O1A
    Recording King Tenor Guitar

Default Re: Getting static suddenly

I get this from a Gretsch Double Jet I have sometimes. Wipe the pick guard down with a dryer fabric softener sheet. I think you have static build up on the plastic guard. I have a Morgan Monroe Mandocaster I am currently doing a number of things to, including Almuse pups, electronics, shielding etc.

If it is that, you could try earthing the pick-guard.

Blog Entries

"Static" is not well defined, but I guess you don't mean AC hum. My Ryder would make scratchy noises as my fingers brushed the pickguard, or appropriately named scratch plate. I glued ordinary aluminum foil on the underside and brought a ground/earthing wire to it and simply held it in place by tightening down the screws. Problem solved.

If you are talking about hum, something has become disconnected. Check wires to the output jack and elsewhere.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

thanks folks, not humans I did originally shield the back of the pcikguard, but I'll try wiping it down. Appreciate the feedback. Hey wait, I didn't mean that like that. When I press the pickguard down in diff spots it improves so maybe I'll take pg off and reinstall, look for any touching stuff
    Girouard A5
    Girouard F5
    Eastwood Mandocaster
    Collings O1A
    Recording King Tenor Guitar

weird typo there "not humans"
    Girouard A5
    Girouard F5
    Eastwood Mandocaster