Thread: vintage viator - help for tuning issue

Default vintage viator - help for tuning issue

Can anyone help with what is causing this problem please?
    Vintage Viator guitar. USB model.
    Open strings when tuned fine e-e but going up the frets the strings get sharper.. so by 5th fret the lower E string is A++ , etc. Same issue across all strings, but less on the upper ones.

Default Re: vintage viator - help for tuning issue

I would check intonation first. Is it in tune at the twelfth fret? That is, is the octave harmonic in unison with the fretted note at the twelfth fret? If not, that's the place to start.

Other candidates are nut slots, nut location, frets.

Maybe take it for a setup . . ..
    Kit
    Guitars, Mandos, Violins, Dulcimers, Cats

Thanks, appreciated!

Is it like this one?

If so, it's a fixed-bridge steel-string instrument, which means that the serious "sharping" problem you have could be caused by a mis-located bridge. too close to the neck. It could also be caused by a too-high "action," strings too far above the fretboard, which causes them to be stretched more than they should be, when pressed to the frets.

You could experiment with lowering the action by several means: lowering the nut slots and/or bridge saddle, tweaking the truss rod if it has one. You could also try a different gauge of strings, see if this moderates the problem.

Not a lot you can do about a mis-located bridge on this type of instrument, unfortunately. Mandolins with un-fixed "floating" bridges have more adjustment possibilities.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

5. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

I had one of those for a while, it was pretty much in tune. Try checking the recommended strings - I think there's a Vintage page on it. These guitars are very short scale so sometimes tuned as a 'quint', which was (as I understand it - corrections?) a soprano guitar tuning higher than the E to E standard. If it's not new, people may have messed about with the tuning - I strung mine in 5ths at one time Good luck!

Allen raises a good point about high strings. If the intonation is correct (i.e., bridge in the right place), that's a good thing to check.
    Kit
    Guitars, Mandos, Violins, Dulcimers, Cats

8. The following members say thank you to TheMandoKit for this post:

The other thing is that, being very short scale, I'm pretty sure it uses lighter than standard gauge strings. If yours has been fitted with a standard 'medium' set it may not play in tune.

First, file the nut slots at an angle down towards the tuning pegs. If the strings don't break cleanly at the nut you will have intonation issues.

Next, check the string height at the first fret. If too high, file the nut slots down until the height is good.

Next, check string height at the 12th fret. If too high, remove the saddle and file (or sand) it until you get the string heights correct at the 12th fret. Maybe leave them a tad high and then check for intonation. If they are still sharp at the 12th fret, file the saddle tips back (towards the back end of the instrument, i.e. away from the neck). Once the intonation is good, complete filing/sanding until the string heights are correct.

For complete instructions, get my ebook on how to set up a mandolin. The concepts transfer to guitars and other stringed instruments. Just email me at rob.meldrum@gmail.com and put Mandolin Setup in the subject line.

Rob