Thread: Goodbye to.. my Stiver, my Collings, my Rigel...

Default Goodbye to.. my Stiver, my Collings, my Rigel...

i've played music in various bands for 45 years of my life , and now have to move on forever from fretted instruments. alas , due to recent neurosurgery i lost the use of fingers on my left and right hands. the surgery was no big deal. but the loss of my ability to play my beloved bluegrass and jazzmando was heartbreaking . thanks to Steve at Acousticmusicworks in pittsburgh, my instruments are finding good homes with new people. so here's a final mandocafe post: goodbye to my friends on this board, my friends at augusta bluegrass week, merlefest, icejams, maine fiddle camp... the good news is that when i knew my fret playing was slowly going to hell (for inexplicable reasons , for a year before the diagnosis,) i took up chromatic harmonica. i now teach and play that wonderful instrument. 'when they close the door, just look for a window..'

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to sailaway For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Goodbye to.. my Stiver, my Collings, my Rigel...

Dear Sailaway—This is heartbreaking to read, and I am sorry for the loss of your physical connection to stringed instruments. I’m sure many of us realize that, but for the grace of God, go we. I know I do, but am no less sorry to see this fall on another. We can all take some consolation, though, from your excellent example in shifting to another musical instrument. Warm regards, Richard

I’m so sorry to hear that. I pray for healing so you can play whatever you like. I do love hearing the harmonica though.

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

This is such sad news. I don't know you, but I have a heart, and mind, and a modicum of empathy and experience to inform these. I've been playing for more than 52 years, and have no idea how I'd cope if I couldn't anymore. A dear friend, also a mentor, lost his voice to a laryngectomy in order to forestall cancer - a cruelly ironic fate for a lifelong singer-songwriter. I'm glad you have a way to continue playing music. It won't be the same, but it'll be much more than nothing. There may well be many more satisfying musical adventures awaiting you.

Please consider continuing your membership here. You surely have plenty of anecdotes, ruminations, and insights to share for the benefit of those who haven't experienced what you have. And you're bound to learn of all manner of musical merriment for your friends and acquaintances here. We're a community here in a addition to devotees of this funny little instrument. Stick around. Who knows what's next?
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

6. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

JRG 

Your attitude to persevere to move forward and not let this hold you back will take you far. The fact you are able to move on to another instrument AND teach others is certainly a wonderful way to handle this bump in lives road. You'll always have friends here, visit us often.
    Ratliff R5 2007, Capek A5 2003, Washburn M5S-SB Jethro Burns 1982, Mid-Mo M-2, Epiphone MM 30 Bk mandolins, Harmony Batwing 1970's, George Bauer bowlback early 1900's Philadelphia.

"Don't cloud the issue with facts!" Groucho Marx

“When they close the door just look for a window”
    What a wonderful saying you have shared on the Cafe. So inspirational and applicable to all.
    Thank you for this sad but optimistic post.
    Best wishes in along your journey outside your chosen window.

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

Sorry to hear that but I’m glad that your musical journey continues

Quote Originally Posted by sailaway View Post
    the loss of my ability to play my beloved bluegrass and jazzmando was heartbreaking .
    I'd imagine that everyone here empathizes with that! We're all drawn to specific instruments for how we respond to them and how they respond to us. I'm so glad that you found another instrument that allows the musical side of you to carry on! With music, even when the door and the window are closed, it will slip in through some gap somewhere.
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

Chromatic harp is a wonderful instrument, there's a lot you can do with it. I've been really digging Yvonnick Prene's classes.

Just awful. I am sorry to hear your sad news.
    Nic Gellie

Words fail me. Good luck, and enjoy the chromatic harp.

Good luck to you Sail. You can't close the Cafe door, it's always open.

You're always welcome here if you just want to poke your head in and say hi.
    1999 Buckeye #18 (Bucky)
    198x Flatiron pancake mandola (no name)
    2020 Kentucky 252 oval hole (Aurum)

I’m sorry to hear this. Best wishes with the harmonica and in everything else you do going forward.

Sorry for the your loss. It's a big one.

It was very wise to get a head start on the harmonica. Best wishes in your new musical journey. I think the harmonic sounds great on fiddle tunes. Hopefully you can continue to participate in many of the events you listed.
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

That is truly heartbreaking. I had a friend who was a wonderful and energetic bluegrass musician who developed Parkinsons and could no longer play. He also gravitated to harmonica to compensate. You have a great positive attitude.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Sailaway, don’t leave the forum just because you are not playing mandolin, you still have plenty to bring to the party! I was very sad to read your post yesterday, I could not think of anything compassionate to say. It is very difficult to give up something you love. I have had to step away from several things that I have been good at and it’s a constant raw point.
    just know that the window is always open here and I think I’ll take the door off it’s hinges!
    Stay safe,
    Tim
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Sailaway you are our hero, interestingly enough I purchased a hammered dulcimer this winter, and have yet to really make it work, but it just happens to be the same range as mandolin, and the strings are courses, striking with left hand hammer - just a thought.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

21. The following members say thank you to tmsweeney for this post:

Blog Entries

That's a great idea! If you still have the dexterity to hold some kind of a pick in one hand - maybe a thumb pick or finger pick will do - and a slide or smooth stick in the other, a dulcimer would be an excellent alternative. If you need motivation, dial up some old Joni Mitchell videos. While she was in her dulcimer phase (centered on the "Blue" album), she produced some wonderful music.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

hey fellow mandolinites : thanks for all the great and encouraging posts !
    guess i won t give up mandolin cafe just yet... thanks fo the dulcimer tip; i indeed have an old hutchinson dulcimer from the 70 s , guess i'll drag it out. i'll check out the joni mitchell stuff on 'Blue album' too. 9 i gave up on dulcimer in the 70's because i was a folk/bluegrasser on a martin D 18 before i fell in love w mandos. (and dulcimers weren't too welcome in bluegrass jams.. then, or now.)

for you dulcimer people, check out my friend bill locke on youtube , he does blue grass dulcimer on you tube that is AWESOME. bill teaches at the ohio dulcimer get togethers (before they cancelled them to COVID like everything else... and bill is also is around at cliff top in W VA playing his banjo -- which he does extremely well, too.

see you around. i'm not leaving the board afte all !

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sailaway For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

One of us! One of us! One of us!

Just kidding - mostly. But kidding aside, thanks for sticking around.

Huzzah!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett