Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Octave Mandolin Course

Default Re: Octave Mandolin Course

Does anyone know if Matt may be teaching this OM course again? I tried reaching out to him via the email addresses on his website but had no luck (one was returned “inbox is full” and the other I got no reply; maybe he’s having email spam issues).

Thanks. And apologies for resurrecting an old thread.

I don’t know if it’s firmed up yet but Matt did mention in one session of the current course that he’s got another OM workshop planned. As soon as I hear something confirming an OM workshop I’ll post here. I’m taking his Folk and Bluegrass Rhythm workshop now. It’s my fourth Matt Flinner workshop and every one has been exceptional.
    A couple years in, now, and still learning!
    Ratliff F-style Country Boy
    Eastman MDO-305 Octave Mandolin
    Kentucky KM-272

I don’t know what I want to be when I grow up.

I was in the very first Matt Flinner OM class and I think it was very good. He used a couple of neat tricks early on to establish the mindset of "hey, this is better than the small mandolin". I recommend!

How is the course done though?
    Do you gain access to videos or something?

this was 2 years ago now, things may have changed, email Matt F. and ask him directly. back when, it was live on zoom in "webinar" mode. all lessons were recorded for replay. sound and video quality was excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    How is the course done though?
    Do you gain access to videos or something?
    Matt does a weekly Zoom workshop, generally Mon, Tue or Wed, depending on the course. He sends out PDFs of the materials just before each workshop session then has a practice session on Saturday. It’s interactive via a text chat during the Zoom sessions and he provides a forum where we interact with questions, pointers, et al. Each week he posts videos of the workshop segments so you can practice along and he also posts MP3s for play along practicing. When the course ends he posts the videos of the full sessions (in SD and HD) that you can download. I’ve done five workshops and have just signed up for #6, so clearly I’m finding it helpful. Whether you’re a tyro or an ace there’s much to gain from Matt’s offerings.
    Kentucky KM-272

One of the builders on this site offered a short scale octave a few years ago. If my memory serves me, it was in the 18-19 inch scale length range. Do any of you know or remember who that might have been? One of my regrets was that years ago, I sold a Weber Bridger Mandola with a 17.5 inch scale length to a guy who converted it into an octave mandolin, using lighter strings by Thomastik. Why didn't I think of that ?? Anyway, it is long gone now, but I have tried the traditional length octaves and the bouzoukis and I really struggle with the fretting. My hands are not large. Thanks in advance for any info.
    Michael A. Harris
    the dulcILLINI
    Collings MF5 Mandolin
    Collings MT2 Mandola
    McSpadden Custom Mountain Dulcimer
    KLOS Carbon Fiber Travel Guitar
    "Home is the place we grow up wanting to leave and die trying to get back to." Nash

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    Matt does a weekly Zoom workshop, generally Mon, Tue or Wed, depending on the course. He sends out PDFs of the materials just before each workshop session then has a practice session on Saturday. It’s interactive via a text chat during the Zoom sessions and he provides a forum where we interact with questions, pointers, et al. Each week he posts videos of the workshop segments so you can practice along and he also posts MP3s for play along practicing. When the course ends he posts the videos of the full sessions (in SD and HD) that you can download. I’ve done five workshops and have just signed up for #6, so clearly I’m finding it helpful. Whether you’re a tyro or an ace there’s much to gain from Matt’s offerings.
    Thanks, i'm interested but it looks like registration is basically closed.
    Also, time zone difference will probably mean I can't attend the Zoom call.

Matt's spring session classes will begin the last week of March, and the registration for those is still open --- although the discount will be ending in an hour. He hasn't updated the header on the web page yet, though, so that still refers to his winter session classes, which are almost finished. However, all the info on the page is accurate for the upcoming session.
    https://www.mattflinner.com/2018/06/...ard-exercises/

That's the good news. The bad news is that Matt isn't offering an OM course this time. I took the first one, which was when I started this thread, and I would have taken the one last year, except that Matt was also offering a New Acoustic Music course, which I was even more interested in, so I took that one instead.

During the summer, Matt's courses only run for four sessions because he's out at the festivals and workshops, but his courses during the other three seasons always run for eight sessions, and are ALWAYS excellent. During the registration period, he lists a very detailed curriculum for each upcoming course, with the techniques and tunes that he will be covering in each session, so you'll have a clear sense of what you'll be learning if you sign up.
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Thanks, i'm interested but it looks like registration is basically closed.
    Also, time zone difference will probably mean I can't attend the Zoom call.
    OM isn’t being offered this spring, sorry. I’m looking forward to the next one, whenever it may come, having enjoyed the prior (second) OM session.

People attend Matt’s Zoom sessions from around the world. The 9 p.m. sessions can be awkward for Germany and Japan but people there do join! Since he posts video recordings of the sessions and practice MP3s (usually the next day) the only thing you’d miss by not being in the live session would be opportunity to type a comment or question in the chat window. Each class has a forum where you can talk with other participants between Zoom times.
    Kentucky KM-272

Somewhat off topic but... I enrolled in the Joe K. Walsh course through Pedhead Nation a week ago. I love it! super helpful approach. Great sheet music, play along tracks, and plenty of videos for each song. I was excited to learn the song Palmer off of his new record. I highly recommend.
    -Jonathan

FYI, Matt is offering the OM course again beginning 1/8. I’m registered!
    https://www.mattflinner.com/2023/11/...um-1-8-3-16-2/

I recently got the notice of Matt’s 2024 OM course. I’m torn because I really want to take it but I’m about to have a total hip replacement which will leave me out of sorts for most of the course sessions. Given that Matt’s courses are so well done I may still sign up and rely on the recorded videos.
    Kentucky KM-272

Any idea what time of day the zoom sessions are? I see that they are on Mondays this time around?

Quote Originally Posted by NDO View Post
    Any idea what time of day the zoom sessions are? I see that they are on Mondays this time around?
    I got this after registering (via Zoom):

Octave Mandolin Techniques with Matt Flinner
    Date & Time
    Jan 8, 2024 09:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
    Jan 13, 2024 10:00 AM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
    Jan 15, 2024 09:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
    Jan 20, 2024 10:00 AM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
    Jan 22, 2024 09:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
    Jan 27, 2024 10:00 AM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
    Jan 29, 2024 09:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
    Feb 3, 2024 10:00 AM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
    Feb 5, 2024 09:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
    Feb 10, 2024 10:00 AM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
    Feb 12, 2024 09:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
    Feb 17, 2024 10:00 AM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
    Feb 26, 2024 09:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
    Mar 2, 2024 10:00 AM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
    Mar 11, 2024 09:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
    Mar 16, 2024 10:00 AM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

I am in, so looking forward to the class!
    2022 Black A2-z #60
    1996 Summit Artist #99
    2018 Clark GBOM #208

Registered for the Matt Flinner course also. Looking forward to it.

Adam

Woohoo I’m in!

Just signed up myself....

D

You guys are making me feel bad
    I really wanted to sign up, but know I don't have the time to put into it.
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar