Thread: Humidification of mandolin

Default Humidification of mandolin

There’s an interesting article on the Montana Lutherie website; worth reviewing if you’re curious about the topic.
    Girouard A
    Silverangel A
    Eastman 615

Default Re: Humidification of mandolin

If you found the article can you post a link to it? I don't see anything on the website. It is always good forum etiquette to post a link to a referred article. Thanks!

Actually, my luthier sent me this link from Sweetwater on the subject.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

2021 The Loar LM700 VS

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J Mangio For This Useful Post:

Likes quaint instruments poul hansen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by J Mangio View Post
    Nah. He says it could take month to dry out. I have a humidity meter in a guitar on the wall and it takes around 2 days, for the humidity inside it to change when it changes 10% ambient. From 90% to 50% takes around a week.

It's not correct that "Most of our houses are pretty climate controlled all year round." most houses change with the outside humidity and becomes dry during winter.

Very few houses have humidity control.
    Kentucky KM-805..........2 Hora M1086 Portuguese II(1 in car)
    Hora M1088 Mandola.....
    Richmond RMA-110..... .Noname Bearclaw
    Pochette Franz Janisch...5 Pocket............Alfredo Privitera pocket
    Puglisi Pocket 1908........Puglisi 1912.......Puglisi 1917
    3 Mandolinetto ..............C.Garozzo
    1 Mandriola...................Cannelo G. Mandriola...Böhm Waldzither 1921
    Johs Møller 1945............Luigi Embergher Studio 1933
    Marma Seashell back......Luigi Embergher 5bis 1909

6. The following members say thank you to poul hansen for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by poul hansen View Post
    Nah. He says it could take month to dry out. I have a humidity meter in a guitar on the wall and it takes around 2 days, for the humidity inside it to change when it changes 10% ambient. From 90% to 50% takes around a week.

It's not correct that "Most of our houses are pretty climate controlled all year round." most houses change with the outside humidity and becomes dry during winter.

You do know who Bruce is?
    Anything out of his mouth I take as Gospel.
    2021 The Loar LM700 VS

8. The following members say thank you to J Mangio for this post:

Likes quaint instruments poul hansen's Avatar

Of course I know Bruce

https://youtu.be/9ojhtq51Ya8
    Kentucky KM-805..........2 Hora M1086 Portuguese II(1 in car)
    Hora M1088 Mandola.....
    Richmond RMA-110..... .Noname Bearclaw
    Pochette Franz Janisch...5 Pocket............Alfredo Privitera pocket
    Puglisi Pocket 1908........Puglisi 1912.......Puglisi 1917
    3 Mandolinetto ..............C.Garozzo
    1 Mandriola...................Cannelo G. Mandriola...Böhm Waldzither 1921
    Johs Møller 1945............Luigi Embergher Studio 1933
    Marma Seashell back......Luigi Embergher 5bis 1909

Quote Originally Posted by poul hansen View Post

Poul, something to consider here would be that Bruce would be speaking from his experience in the States, and what houses are like there vs. what humidity levels in homes would be like in other parts of the world. So from my take on this Bruce is a voice of experience and to be listened to here for mandolin owners in the States/Canada - blanket statements like "It's not correct" are unhelpful unless supported by data, not just "n of one" anecdotal experience of a single player. Perhaps you could qualify your statement with for others by stating that "most houses in my area change with the outside humidity...."

I live in a 150 year old stone cottage in Ireland, where the humidity level changes regularly, but when I lived in the States my experience mirrored what Bruce states - that the humidity levels in homes were pretty consistent, but that's just my experience - other folks mileage may vary.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

2021 The Loar LM700 VS

So, if I’m reading the articles correctly humidification might be more an issue for a guitar than it is for a mandolin? I’ve never been very good at keeping up with humidification . I have a Martin OM21 I purchased new in 1999 that has , to be honest, only intermittently seen humidification. It’s spent most of its life in a finished (insulated/heated) basement with the dehumidifier running quite variably in the summer. There was a period a few years ago when I got panicky about very slight bowing and minute lifting of the bridge ( such that a tiny bit of a playing card might fit underneath) . My worry was it was due to humidification neglect but the luthier more or less attributed it to normal aging.
    I recently bought a Calhoun and am trying to be better about humidification. Both instruments are upstairs. I run a humidifier in the room they are kept but it doesn’t run 24/7. As I write this the hygrometer reads 26. So, I’ll refill the humidifier and run it. Also, the guitar has a Planet Waves humidifier I “recharge” with water about once a week. With the humidifier running the hygrometer seems to run between 35-45. We’re in a cold spell in Chicago right now (12 degrees f).
    I ordered a small instrument Planet Waves humidifier for the mandolin a couple days ago but maybe that’s not necessary
    But I guess my question is: is variable use of a humidifier any more or less harmful than none? Is it more stressful on the instrument to get humidified and get dry than to stay in a constant state or is something better than nothing?
    Sorry to go on and on but I think you catch my drift

13. The following members say thank you to Ed McGarrigle for this post:

I would agree that while most folks have temperature-controlled houses, fewer have relative humidity controlled houses.

Dunno, I was always told that rapid changes in humidity (or temperature) were the real problem. Although, realistically, I would think that a wooden instrument built in and acclimated to 50% RH would have bad results in a 10% RH environment, irrespective of how long it takes to get there.

OTOH, I have several Old Wave instruments, which were built in Bill's shop in New Mexico, with very low RH, and I keep them here in the upper midwest, with RH ranging from 35% in the winter (with humidifiers running flat out--radiator heat) to 85%+ in the summer, and they have done OK, albeit with truss rod and bridge adjustments. And I have a late 1930s Martin guitar, and an early 1920s Gibson mandolin that I am sure were not kept in humidity controlled environments for their entire lives before I acquired them, and they have survived, although with a couple back cracks in the Martin before it got to me.

Pretty much all of the larger wooden instrument makers have some sort of information on their websites about the importance of the proper environment for their instruments, so there must be something to it. Or maybe it's all part of the great humidifier conspiracy. <shrugs>

Yet another one of the great mysteries of life. But, I am still going to keep my instruments in a humidified room in the winter.
    Last edited by TheMandoKit; Feb-11-2021 at 12:58pm. Reason: Danged typo!
    Kit
    Guitars, Mandos, Violins, Dulcimers, Cats

According to my humidity gauge in my mandolin case, it's showing around 60. I live in the southern states. My mandolin, archtop, acoustic and tele sit out constantly as I go from one to the other alot and don't use a humidifier or dehumidifier. The humidity doesn't ever gets low in my area but can get a bit high sometimes. But then the case gauge is the only humidity gauge I have inside my house