Thread: The First Loar in Fretboard Journal

Default The First Loar in Fretboard Journal

Stop everything and find this copy and read it. And take in the photo's.

Default Re: The First Loar in Fretboard Journal

I assume this is available online to read? I just spent 20 minutes on the FJ site and haven't found it yet......a link would be wonderful...

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hilburn View Post
    Stop everything and find this copy and read it. And take in the photo's.
    The one that Steve Gilchrist restored? The one with the crack on the bass side of the top? This one?
    Olaf

It's the story of the Gilchrist restoration.

5. The following members say thank you to Jim Hilburn for this post:

OK, sure, I remember this one! Gotta give Carter's credit for marketing -- I believe they've handled the "first" Loar, the first Les Paul "burst", currently they have the "first" spanish neck electric guitar.......great store and great people, IMHO.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jd.panko For This Useful Post:

Steve Gilchrist is a true master at what he does.
    David A. Gordon

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Yes the Fretboard Journal article is really nice. I would also recommend to check out the information on the restoration (including further pictures) on Steve Gilchrist´s website: http://www.gilchristmandolins.com/70281-restore
    Olaf

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

He's probably ruined the value of that!

Seriously, what a beautiful job. Part of me wonders how much that would cost. Part of me knows that no matter the cost, it was worth it. But all of me knows it's a beautiful job.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

Quote Originally Posted by David Lewis View Post
    Part of me wonders how much that would cost. Part of me knows that no matter the cost, it was worth it.
    The old saying goes, "if you have to ask......"

Actually, I wondered the same thing. The article mentions Gilchrist spent over 100 hours over four months on this job. I'm no "Gilchrist", but my employer bills the customer $65 an hour for the repairs I perform, so that would be $6500, based on an hourly rate -- just a guess -- might be much more based on the fact the work was done by Gilchrist himself and also based on the rarity of the instrument. OTOH, there is a great deal of prestige attached to being the one selected for such a repair, resulting in future repair work, so possibly another type of deal was struck -- although, I'm sure Gilchrist keeps plenty busy.....

Agreed, a beautiful result! A question I had, along similar lines, is what is it worth now? That is, being the first Loar, but also having had a major repair?

Gilchrist's observation that the mandolin he is repairing is the mandolin that led to him having the ability to repair that mandolin is very cool.

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    The old saying goes, "if you have to ask......"

Actually, I wondered the same thing. The article mentions Gilchrist spent over 100 hours over four months on this job. I'm no "Gilchrist", but my employer bills the customer $65 an hour for the repairs I perform, so that would be $6500, based on an hourly rate -- just a guess -- might be much more based on the fact the work was done by Gilchrist himself and also based on the rarity of the instrument. OTOH, there is a great deal of prestige attached to being the one selected for such a repair, resulting in future repair work, so possibly another type of deal was struck -- although, I'm sure Gilchrist keeps plenty busy.....

Agreed, a beautiful result! A question I had, along similar lines, is what is it worth now? That is, being the first Loar, but also having had a major repair?
    Being the first would give it some kind of premium. I once asked how much Monroe’s would be worth if it wasn't owned by Monroe but was in that condition. The expert consensus here was 15000 or so.

Stradivari violins (a different thing) have everything replaced except the body and hold or even increase their value. New necks. New fingerboards bridges tuners tailpieces etc. seems to be different for mandolins. I’d think the ‘done by Gilchrist’ would help. But I hope someone who knows better than I weighs in.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;