Thread: Thoughts on the Washburn Americana M108SW

Default Thoughts on the Washburn Americana M108SW

Hey guys! I'm looking for an affordable mandolin that has a good sound quality and looks natural. (A lot of midrange and lower mandolins have really ugly finishes I don't like). Does anyone here own a modern washburn and what's your thoughts? (I have several of their antique bowlbacks and love them, but would like to actually get a modern one.) Thanks for the input!

Default Re: Thoughts on the Washburn Americana M108SW

When you say modern are you referring to some thing brand new? I have a 1982 M5S Jethro Burns Japanese made. Like many mandolins made in Japan it has (by current standards) A thicker finish that somewhat weakens the volume. Otherwise it's a great instrument. Hard to find the Washburns of that era for sale anymore. I presume anything brand new is imported from the Orient using the Washburn brand and I can't say I know anything about them.
    Ratliff R5 2007, Capek A5 2003, Washburn M5S-SB Jethro Burns 1982, Mid-Mo M-2, Epiphone MM 30 Bk mandolins, Harmony Batwing 1970's, George Bauer bowlback early 1900's Philadelphia.

"Don't cloud the issue with facts!" Groucho Marx

The Washburn brand name has been sold many times since the the days of your original bowl backs. The 70's early 80's Japanese made instruments (mandolins, guitars, and banjos) were pretty good instruments. After that the brand name was sold and applied to various other imported products. IMHO I'd be hesitant to think that the current product is any better than most other imports based only on the Washburn name. Could even be from the same factory as some other imports, just a different name on the headstock.
    Ratliff R5 2007, Capek A5 2003, Washburn M5S-SB Jethro Burns 1982, Mid-Mo M-2, Epiphone MM 30 Bk mandolins, Harmony Batwing 1970's, George Bauer bowlback early 1900's Philadelphia.

"Don't cloud the issue with facts!" Groucho Marx

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

I own an Americana A style and have played it for many years. It is not a good value in a mandolin at retail price. Spending the equivalent on a Kentucky would get a much better mandolin.

Biggest issue is the plate thicknesses. These mandolin tops are too thickly graduated. Now, if you are buying used, dirt cheap, and get it set up superbly, it may satisfy you in the short term. You’d be getting what you pay for, IMO a serviceable mandolin that is overbuilt. Sound quality suffers for that.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Once my Washburn was set up properly I’ve found it to be a fantastic instrument.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by David Lewis View Post
    Once my Washburn was set up properly I’ve found it to be a fantastic instrument.
    Which one do you have, David? Mine is the M106SWK

I made a bone nut for it and set the action low when I got it years ago. It has been a serviceable mandolin, used from time to time as a backup mandolin and as an only mandolin.

Here are some clips of the mandolin:

https://youtu.be/R8BMYMwzE5g

^ Recorded straight through the iPhone

https://youtu.be/ErEb3TTb9aQ

^ Recorded into DAW, compression and reverb added

I consider it an old friend, but not a fantastic instrument. I prefer the neck profile to Eastman's, and sold an Eastman while keeping the Washburn. However, I know now after a few years with mandolins that the price I paid for this Washburn brand new could have bought a Kentucky with a more resonant top plate.

Just one man's opinion: Before I spent $750 on a Washburn Americana F-style, I'd try the Kentucky KM500 for $650. YMMV
    Last edited by Mark Gunter; Feb-11-2021 at 7:09am.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff