Thread: Vorhees Bowlback- very interesting

Default Vorhees Bowlback- very interesting

I was tempted to put this into the "mandolin that will not get a bid" thread because of the price. However, it is very interesting and worthy of a wider audience to view and comment. I see I have spelled its name wrong- should have been Voorhees in the headline which I cannot edit.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Antiqu....c100667.m2042

Default Re: Vorhees Bowlback- very interesting

"Probably needs to be restrung" - REALLY?!? But it's got really interesting ornamentation, and I like it, just not the price.

It is already mentioned in the not get a bid thread already at this post. I did get a notice from ebay that the seller lowered the price $505. Hah! I also mentioned that it resembled Waldo mandolins.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Jim, I missed that mention and had another candidate for that thread which I posted there. I mentioned in that Wellington thread that I had blundered by typing in Style 80 while looking at the Style 71 -and reading the number from the mandolin above it on the page in the Washburn book!

You and I are among the enthusiastic posters here who read and write quickly. Believe me I have done the same many times over. No worries.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Can't make out the ribs in the bowl; does it have them, or is it a one-piece?
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

From the pictures it looks like the back could be spruce (inside label pic) and then veneered with rose wood?
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

8. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    It is already mentioned in the not get a bid thread already at this post. I did get a notice from ebay that the seller lowered the price $505. Hah! I also mentioned that it resembled Waldo mandolins.
    I'm pretty sure that I saw this mando years ago, but only a full-frontal shot. There are a lot of design features that point to the luthiers at the Waldo Co. The fingerboard shape and everything about the headstock except the ornamental carving on the top and the inlay.

When I looked at the pic of the label, I didn't see ribs, just what looked like one piece of some really straight-grained wood. The photo outside of the the bowl/shell left something to the imagination. I saw no ribs and no grain. Crazy as this sounds, I wonder if the bowl/shell is a one-piece covered with leather.

Holy Moly - I just did a patent search - Walter J Voorhees - rawhide covered bowl - https://patents.google.com/patent/US...orhees+saginaw

Unholy-moly! The cursed issue of a dalliance between a mandolin and a banjo.
    Or, the inspiration for Ovation.

Walter J Voorhees shows up in the Mugwumps index of stringed instrument makers listed as "Saginaw MI 1904." Since, according to the same document, Waldo instruments were also made in Saginaw through 1903, we can hypothesize that Mr. Voorhies may have worked for Waldo, and gone out on his own after Waldo's demise.

Would say a lot about the Voorhees-Waldo resemblance.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

12. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Yes and this wacky seller of the Voorhees mandolin now bumped price back up to $7500. That is very logical… if something gets little interest then price it higher, right?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately: