Thread: Vorhees Bowlback- very interesting

Default Vorhees Bowlback- very interesting

I was tempted to put this into the "mandolin that will not get a bid" thread because of the price. However, it is very interesting and worthy of a wider audience to view and comment. I see I have spelled its name wrong- should have been Voorhees in the headline which I cannot edit.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Antiqu....c100667.m2042

Default Re: Vorhees Bowlback- very interesting

"Probably needs to be restrung" - REALLY?!? But it's got really interesting ornamentation, and I like it, just not the price.

It is already mentioned in the not get a bid thread already at this post. I did get a notice from ebay that the seller lowered the price $505. Hah! I also mentioned that it resembled Waldo mandolins.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    2018 Campanella A-5 -- 2007 Brentrup A4C -- 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin -- Huss & Dalton DS -- 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead -- '83 Flatiron A5-2 -- 1939 Gibson L-00 -- 1936 Epiphone Deluxe -- 1928 Gibson L-5 -- ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo -- ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo -- ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo -- National RM-1

Jim, I missed that mention and had another candidate for that thread which I posted there. I mentioned in that Wellington thread that I had blundered by typing in Style 80 while looking at the Style 71 -and reading the number from the mandolin above it on the page in the Washburn book!

You and I are among the enthusiastic posters here who read and write quickly. Believe me I have done the same many times over. No worries.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    2018 Campanella A-5 -- 2007 Brentrup A4C -- 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin -- Huss & Dalton DS -- 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead -- '83 Flatiron A5-2 -- 1939 Gibson L-00 -- 1936 Epiphone Deluxe -- 1928 Gibson L-5 -- ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo -- ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo -- ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo -- National RM-1

Can't make out the ribs in the bowl; does it have them, or is it a one-piece?
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

From the pictures it looks like the back could be spruce (inside label pic) and then veneered with rose wood?
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

8. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post: