Thread: information needed for Gibson A4

Default information needed for Gibson A4

A buddy of mine has a Gibson A4, serial number 19216 in good condition, wanting to know year and good selling price. Thank you for any help.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mando 4.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	191932Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mando 3.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	191933Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mando 2.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	191934Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mando 1.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	191935

Default Re: information needed for Gibson A4

1914 seems likely- look at this page below:

http://www.mandolinarchive.com/perl/...ins.pl?all:15:

I can't comment on price but A4s are popular. Do some searching for sold examples but I am sure someone here will comment- $2,000- $3,000 would seem reasonable- it has its original case, the mandolin is all original with Handel tuners but Ii can't be exact but it appears to have plenty going for it.

HERE IS ONE AD:https://reverb.com/uk/item/38471150-...lin-black-1911

3. The following members say thank you to NickR for this post:

This mandolin was shipped in 1913, according to Spann's Guide to Gibson, making at among the first A4s to have a fretboard extension. The case is correct for the period. The photos don't show any obvious repairs or replaced hardware, and apart from some wear along the edge near the tailpiece it seems to be in pretty good shape. It's always a good idea to have an old mandolin checked out by a luthier for a loose brace, open seams, top sink, or other problems that may not be readily apparent.

If you look inside the mandolin you should find a 4-digit factory order number stamped on the neck block, likely between 2200 and 2600. This would confirm the year of manufacture (as opposed to the serial number, which indicates the shipment year). I always thought extended fretboards didn't show up on A4s until 1914, but I guess I was off by a year.

Blackface A4s from this period have their charms, and the fretboard extension probably adds a little value, but they seem to be less in demand than the later red sunburst A4s. If this were from 1922 and had a truss rod it would likely be worth $3.5K or more; a snakehead A4 from 1923 or 1924 could be worth more than $5K. At most this would probably sell for $2.5K, and you might get that price only upon consignment to a dealer who would take a percentage of it.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

5. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

Teacher, repair person

According to Spann's Guide to Gibson, the mandolin has a 1913 serial number.
    A well-known vintage dealer might be able to get as much as $3000 on a really good day, a private seller will probably have to settle for somewhat less.
    If it were mine to sell, I might ask $2500, maybe a little more. The mandolin does appear to be in quite nice condition, and appears to be all original.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rcc56 For This Useful Post:

Don't we all just love the expertise residing in the Cafe?

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Gies View Post
    Don't we all just love the expertise residing in the Cafe?
    I would only add to this to say (1) that the classified ads here are an excellent and safe place to sell and instrument and (2) if you do sell be sure to donate the suggested reasonable asking fee of 2% of the selling price.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1