Thread: Can I "dull" a shiny area on a matte-finish Eastman?

Default Can I "dull" a shiny area on a matte-finish Eastman?

Just got a new-to-me used 2018 Eastman 315. Love the matte finish on these. But the former owner apparently laid his pinky on the body, just under the treble side of the strings, so much that he made the finish a lot shinier and more "polished" than the rest of the body. It's a very apparent difference, roughly 3" across. is there a very fine steel wool or something I can get to possibly remedy this? This is just my beater mando so I'm willing to try something on it... Thanks in advance!

Adrian Minarovic

Default Re: Can I "dull" a shiny area on a matte-finish Eastman?

Many of these "matte" or "satin" finishes are not real satin, but rather ordinary gloss finish applied with fine gun to create final surface with no subsequent polishing. It takes grainy texture that appears satin but with wear it will slowly into gloss where burnished. You can polish it up all to uniform sheen or have it oversprayed with another coat (NOT RECOMMENDED). Steel wool will just scratch the surface dullng it a bit but the texture is completely different from the original and you also risk sanding through as this type of finish is typically thinner than standard gloss finish (they have to add extra for sanding operations and buffing).
    Adrian

3. The following members say thank you to HoGo for this post:

Thanks, Adrian -- that makes perfect sense. It is an inexpensive mandolin, so I get it. Maybe better, as you say, to leave it alone. Very cool to hear from you, too, pretty much on the other side of the planet!

Rottenstone, pumice, toothpaste, Bon Ami or similar gritty kitchen cleaner, micro mesh.......
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

You could strip the mandolin of strings and attachment and use rubbing compound to gloss the whole thing. A lot of folks have done this with their satin Martin's.

7. The following members say thank you to George Henry for this post:

0000 steel wool has worked for me on some areas. Dry works OK, few drops of mineral or liquid soap can help.