Thread: Flight Pathfinder Tenor Uke as Mandola

Default Flight Pathfinder Tenor Uke as Mandola

This has been fun

I persuaded my wife (didn't take much persuasion) to get me a Flight Pathfinder electric tenor uke for Christmas so that I could try restringing / retuning as a (tenor) mandola (CGDA). Since then I haven't been able to stop myself keeping picking it up and playing it!

The only changes were to swap out the lower two strings. Even though it has a zero fret I did have to file the bottom string nut slightly to get the intonation back in. For the same reason I also found I had to drop out the spring from the bottom string bridge to get enough adjustment.

Generally the build's really pretty good for the price, and it's a lovely looking thing. I thought the original (round) string tree was a bit over sized, and also the (now) G string break angle was pretty poor, so I fitted a Reverend triple tree which works brilliantly.

I also fitted the push-pull series pickup mod which had worked so well on my Fender Tele Tenor, works just as well here - but there really isn't a lot of room to get it in!

The stock pickups are ok, nothing special, but certainly fine for now.

Only problem now is that I really fancy a guitar bodied acoustic mandola to match it...there's always one more instrument

Oh, the other problem was when the box arrived and my wife said "have I just bought you a ukulele?" But it was ok once I explain it wasn't going to stay a uke for long...

Cheers,

Andy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mand1.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	529.3 KB 
ID:	191937   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mand2.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	492.6 KB 
ID:	191938   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mand3.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	404.6 KB 
ID:	191939  

Question Re: Flight Pathfinder Tenor Uke as Mandola

How long does the scale measure? (bridge to nut,* free vibrating string length )

* or zero fret ..

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Default Re: Flight Pathfinder Tenor Uke as Mandola

Roasted maple,yum

Yes 17", sorry for slow reply!

I'm looking at this exact uke to use as a Tenor CGDA. What strings do you use and how did it play? I'm hoping this shorter scale 17" vs 23" of a standard tenor will give me less tension on the strings, a warmer sound and make the strings easier to bend.

Quote Originally Posted by RikkD View Post
    I'm looking at this exact uke to use as a Tenor CGDA. What strings do you use and how did it play? I'm hoping this shorter scale 17" vs 23" of a standard tenor will give me less tension on the strings, a warmer sound and make the strings easier to bend.
    You should play around with an online string tension calculator to see what the tension would be. I suspect that it isn't going to be less with a 17" compared to a 23".

8. The following members say thank you to thistle3585 for this post:

RikkD 

Blog Entries

I have a Weber Alder #2 mandola with a 17" scale length. I use D'Addario DY-80s (octave mandolin) on it and tune it CGDA. Works great.
    The samme guage strings should work for your Pathfinder.

Daniel

10. The following members say thank you to Daniel Nestlerode for this post:

RikkD 

5th interval Options; other than Viola CGDA is EBF#C# & FCGD..

Ukes with glued on bridges wont take the tension of steel strings an instrument with a metal tail piece can .
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Default String Tension for Tenor Uke as Mandola

Quote Originally Posted by thistle3585 View Post
    You should play around with an online string tension calculator to see what the tension would be. I suspect that it isn't going to be less with a 17" compared to a 23".
    Hi RikkD,

Andrew is correct; tension is tension.

For me, ~15 lbs. per string (~60 lbs. total) is a good benchmark for electrics. You can go up or down with gauges to achieve different tensions.

22.75" scale Tenor Tele CGDA (8-12-18P-30)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tenor Tele 1.png 
Views:	93 
Size:	7.3 KB 
ID:	195260

17" scale Mandola CGDA (11-16-26-40)

Name:	Mandola 1.png 
Views:	87 
Size:	6.7 KB 
ID:	195262

So, 11-16-26-40 gives you almost identical tension ~60 lbs. total. Gauges changed - not tension. So, in this case, with the increase in gauge the feel and ability to bend strings will change, not tension.

Lighter set ~55 lbs. total

Name:	Mandola 2.png 
Views:	80 
Size:	6.9 KB 
ID:	195264

Heavier set ~70 lbs. total

Name:	Mandola 3.png 
Views:	81 
Size:	6.9 KB 
ID:	195265

Half gauges (on plain strings) will help with more balanced tension, but I hope you get the theory. Good luck!

Links for 3 tension calculators:
    Last edited by Huck; Jul-19-2021 at 10:13am. Reason: Added links

13. The following members say thank you to Huck for this post:

RikkD 

Apologies, haven't been on here for ages! 10-13-20-30 for CGDA, I use the same size on this and my Fender Tele Tenor (GDAD). Can't promise it would suit everybody, but suits me!

Cheers,

Andy