Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Tipping a Luthier

Default Re: Tipping a Luthier

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    Tipping is tipping no matter whether the recipient is a luthier, a waiter or the person who comes to empty your septic tank. My worry is that tipping simply perpetuates a culture of “I’m paying the bill so I’m better than you.”.
    Wow, I hope that any tips I've given haven't come across like that. The intent is more like, "That's awesome, I really appreciate you and your work." Especially if someone went out of their way to help me. I would never want to be perceived as thinking I was better than anyone.

2. The following members say thank you to Sue Rieter for this post:

In my experience people who think they're "better" than me never tipped me! I worked all kinds of service jobs when I was living in the States. One of them was as a delivery driver, delivering boxes of fruit and veg to people. One customer was a well known (though not to me) and well to do author. Her house had two entrances - one on one street and one on another street, that's how big it was. The front door was easily reached from the curbside, whereas the back door "tradesman entrance" was accessed via 400 steps (I counted them). My boss asked her if it would be ok for me to drop the box of veg off at the front door and wealthy author lady said "no way", so twice a week I had to climb those 400 steps while carrying a box of veg that weighed between 25-30lbs. She never tipped me once. Contrast that with another customer - a rented house where the housemates all chipped in to order a veg box delivered once a week. I had to climb 15 steps to get to their front door with the box and every single time they would tip me $10, and in warm weather always had a cold drink waiting for me. They didn't tip because they thought they were "better" than me, they tipped because they appreciated what I did. I don't know if the wealthy author thought she was "better" than me, but it's clear that I was invisible to her and that she didn't care a jot about the extra effort needed to get her box of veg to her.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jill McAuley For This Useful Post:

Well, as to the OP,
    If you walked in asking for expertise or tweaks, a charge would be appropriate, for the luthiers time. Luthiers could give advice free all day. Otoh, thats what many do in order to get a work/business prospect. I did usually give a free consult when i was lawyering. Otoh, if i sensed something else, id ask them to make an appointment and of my hourly fee.

Most folks dont work for free. Otoh, its always about building relationships. My former luthier always asked for $10 for at the counter advice. My current luthier doesnt, but charges me handsomely, but his work is excellent. Personally, im best with arms length “heres the price “ business dealings. Obligations and duties clearly set forth. I have not tipped either.

If yours does give free help, then tip. Its a sentiment of gratitude.

I dont tip workmen, professionals, car mechanics, gardeners or my luthier, etc , except at the holidays, and then only for ongoing relationships.

I assume im being fairly charged. Sometimes i feel like im paying handsomely.
    If i DO think ive been undercharged, ill ask about it. Depending, ill usually try to be fair and appreciative.

The problem with tipping when its not “normal”;it can become expected...why not this time?etc.

Fwiw, when it comes to service jobs, restaurants, haircuts, deliveries, etc., I always tip generously, unless theres a major f/u issue. Ive worked many service jobs. I tend to agree that some entitled folks who have great means are the worst. My caddying days at the old money country club exemplified this, compared to the huge generosity at a ‘new money’ club.

Otoh, some folks think the flat delivery charge has been paid, and the compensation to the driver is between company and employee. If i pay $100 and i get a big load of stuff, i tip a lot.

As for backsheesh, its cultural, not bribery. It like not returning a smile. Ok in someplaces, not here. Ditto backsheesh. I too learned that when in nepal.

But you know i like overtipping, it makes your gratitude clear. Often this is only about a couple of dollars to make someones day brighter.
    Last edited by stevedenver; Feb-15-2021 at 11:11am.

6. The following members say thank you to stevedenver for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bren View Post
    My luthier doesn't charge enough. I usually pay more. He goes, that'll be £35. I go, ok here's £45 cos you did this and that as well. We're still friends. There are only so many bottles of whisky you can give.
    Nonsense. There are always great bottles someone has yet to try...lol😉

A few years ago I spent 2 weeks in an NHS intensive care unit which saved my life. Should I have tipped the staff?

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post
    ...towards people who work with their hands and their feet...
    The "feet" part was throwing me off until I remembered John Hartford's act of soft shoe tap dancing while fiddling! Not only put a smile on my face, but I put a 5-spot in the ol' tip bucket! Or was that the spittoon??? :grin

Grape stomping also came to mind.....
    Last edited by Jeff Mando; Feb-15-2021 at 2:07pm.

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post
    There is a veiled implication of hostility in several of the posts in this thread towards people who work with their hands and their feet, and that makes me sad.

I don't see that. Contrarily, most folks have a great deal of admiration for ( competent) luthiers and others "who work with their hands and feet"

Definition of :

bak·sheesh
    /bakˈSHēSH/
    Learn to pronounce
    noun
    (in parts of Asia and North Africa) a small sum of money given as a tip, bribe, or charitable donation.

Note : b r i b e...
    And yes, bribes can be paid post an event.

Not technically tipping, but last year when my dad had a triple bypass I bought donuts and pizza every day for the staff on the whole intensive care floor. They took great care of my dad and I appreciated it.

But in general I’m probably just an average tipper. If I have a good meal out, 15-20 %. If i have a bad meal or service I am not ashamed to give nothing. I believe a tip should be earned.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hildreth View Post
    Definition of :

bak·sheesh
    /bakˈSHēSH/
    Learn to pronounce
    noun
    (in parts of Asia and North Africa) a small sum of money given as a tip, bribe, or charitable donation.

Note : b r i b e...
    And yes, bribes can be paid post an event.
    Jeff -- In post #92 of this thread, i'd already pointed out that "baksheesh" has multiple meanings, and that the word can function as either a tip or a bribe, depending on the local culture, context, and usage, and I supplied the Wikipedia link to a more comprehensive description of the term. I wonder if you read what Wikipedia has to say on the subject? It's more illuminating than the dictionary entry you pasted.

When baksheesh is used as a bribe, it is generally paid in advance of the service performed. The definition you supplied is fully consistent with this interpretation. When baksheesh is used to mean a tip, it is almost always given afterwards, as a reward for service.

Basksheesh means different things in different cultures, throughout Europe, North Africa, and the Middle East, and into parts of Asia, including the Indian subcontinent. It can mean, for example, a donation to charity (e.g., in Pakistan), or even funds "extorted" by aggressive beggars. Most often, though, it means a bribe (usu. a small payment) to officials to encourage a favorable outcome to the payer. It can also mean a customary tip. Tips are given after the performance of a service, not beforehand. They are gratuities. Bribes can be paid at any time, in principle, but they are most generally paid prior to the service. Most corrupt officials would not have this any other way!

So, "baksheesh" can be rendered either before or after a service, and it's context-dependent.

I hope that clarifies things.

P.S. When you covertly slip a $20 bill into the hand of a maitre d' at the front of the house in a heavily booked restaurant, in the hope of getting a table when you lack a reservation, THAT'S A BRIBE. When you leave $20 for the wait staff after a well-served meal at the restaurant, THAT'S A TIP. That, too, may clarify the distinction.
    Last edited by sblock; Feb-15-2021 at 11:36pm.

Anybody who says or presents that they do not know the difference is being disingenuous. We all know what the difference is.

Resident Hack

Quote Originally Posted by killntime View Post
    But in general I’m probably just an average tipper. If I have a good meal out, 15-20 %. If i have a bad meal or service I am not ashamed to give nothing. I believe a tip should be earned.
    Having been in the service industry, I always tip well and often cross the line between tipping out of thanks and bribing in advance. I even tip bad service that indicates a person might be overwhelmed or having a bad day.
    If I get appallingly bad service, I don't refrain from tipping. I tip something ridiculously small. I don't want them to think I simply forgot.
    What I play
    2021 Skip Kelley Two-Point
    Eastwood 'Ricky'
    Morgan Monroe RT-1E
    Epiphone Genesis guitars
    Various Basses

Quote Originally Posted by killntime View Post
    I apologize for getting off the topic of tipping luthiers, but you do realize your server has nothing to do with the quality of the food, right? Nor can they make the line cooks work faster. Also, federal minimum wage for tipped employees is $2.13 per hour.

I've never tipped a luthier, but I've tipped a cop in the Yucatan. It was at his suggestion, of course.